Old September 26th 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AIR BLAST For Steel Milling

I was milling some parts yesterday on the Hurco. Some steel parts. I
was using AlTin coated carbide mills. The parts looked ok, and the
chips looked good. Mostly blue with a few silver chips. The parts were
not getting excessively hot, but after a while I could see a dull glow
coming off the mill. That kind of bothered me so I setup and air blast.
That had the added benefit of eliminating chip recutting. The thing
is to get everything I anted the air blast had to use a modestly decent
volume of air. The parts actually looked better and mills never reached
that glow again, even with long cut times.

Is an air blast like that common for cutting steel? Remember I have
been CNC machining for more than a couple years now, but 99% of the
parts I make are aluminum. Years ago I used to come on this group and
pester you folks about cutting aluminum parts faster and faster and more
efficiently.

If an air blast is useful for that sort of thing, what can I do to use
the air more efficiently. I have dismissed vortex tubes out of hand. I
have made one, and I have a commercial one, and they both waste a lot
more air than any benefit they might provide. Heck, you get some
cooling affect as the air expands out of any nozzle. I was actually
thinking about things like a better nozzle design on the air blast to
get a predictable cone of air, and making a ball mount with a slip clamp
to hold the air nozzle so it can be directed to exactly surround the tip
of the mill with its cone of air.

Old September 27th 19, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 11:46:29 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

If an air blast is useful for that sort of thing, what can I do to use
the air more efficiently.

I would think using the ail to blow a mist would be a lot more efficient. But understand that mist might not be good thing with carbide.

Maybe use a hypodermic needle to use less air but direct the air better.

Dan

Old September 27th 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 08:46:26 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Air blast is indeed used for metal cutting. It not only removes chips
but can keep the cutting tool cooler. This helps prevent chip welding.
A cooler chip will often break sooner too, resulting in smaller chips.
Eric
Old September 27th 19, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

If an air blast is useful for that sort of thing, what can I do to use
the air more efficiently.

No direct experience, just a comment from the peanut gallery. I don't think
this air would need to go through your dryer, just use one of those water
trap/pressure regulators at your mill installed just after a low spot with a
drain valve.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Old September 27th 19, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 09:19:22 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 9/27/2019 6:05 AM, wrote: On Thursday, September 26,
2019 at 11:46:29 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
If an air blast is useful for that sort of thing, what can I do to
use the air more efficiently.

I would think using the ail to blow a mist would be a lot more
efficient. But understand that mist might not be good thing with
carbide.

Maybe use a hypodermic needle to use less air but direct the air
better. Dan

Well, something along those lines, but I think that would not be nearly
enough air to be useful. Even the nozzle from an irrigating syringe
might be a little small.

Other nozzle possibilities include mig welding tips, plasma cutter
nozzles, and 3D printer extruder nozzles. The latter come in a
nice range of sizes. For example, an Amazon $9.99 set of 28 has
2x0.2mm, 2x0.25mm, 2x0.3mm, 2x0.35mm, 10x0.4mm, 2x0.5mm, 2x0.6 mm,
2x0.8mm, 2x1.0 mm. A $3.22 ebay set (19pcs MK8 Extruder Nozzle)
has 2x0.2mm, 2x0.3mm, 7x0.4mm, 2x0.5mm, 2x0.6 mm, 2x0.8mm, 2x1.0 mm.
Those sets are all in brass. Hardened steel and ruby tip 3D nozzles
also are available, costing about 10 times as much.

Regarding your air dryers, does the air blast need to be dry? If
not you could plumb its air out beforehand, presumably lessening
the dryer load.

--
jiw
Old September 29th 19, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/26/2019 8:46 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I wonder if it would be worth it to use a venturri at the nozzle to
increase air volume.
Old September 29th 19, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 10:59:00 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

I wonder if it would be worth it to use a venturri at the nozzle to
increase air volume.

Yes, and if you can tap the compressor tank BEFORE the regulator, it certainly
will be more efficient. The high airspeed from full pressure air is not
required, but throttling the pressure is a waste of energy/compressor
power. It'll be a trifle noisy, though; consider earplugs.

Lots of airguns use venturis (venturae?) anyhow, you might just find a suitable
nozzle off-the-shelf.
Old September 29th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/29/2019 3:11 PM, whit3rd wrote: On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at
10:59:00 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

I wonder if it would be worth it to use a venturri at the nozzle to
increase air volume.

Yes, and if you can tap the compressor tank BEFORE the regulator, it

certainly
will be more efficient. The high airspeed from full pressure air is not
required, but throttling the pressure is a waste of energy/compressor
power. It'll be a trifle noisy, though; consider earplugs.

Lots of airguns use venturis (venturae?) anyhow, you might just find

a suitable
nozzle off-the-shelf.

Actually I have a venturi vacuum pump I was thinking about repurposing.

However routing a new line all the way around the shop and thru the
machine room is not a quick short term answer as discussed in other posts.