Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Granite countertop edges

My granite counter top in the kitchen has about a 1/16" radius edge.
Big mistake! now the edge has a number of little chips out of it. I
wonder if there is a way to fix without removing it and sending it back
to the company that made it. You can't notice the chips but you can
feel them and it makes me sick. Maybe a diamond file or such to smooth
them out?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They can be ground on site.
You can hire somebody, but you probably have the necessary skill set to do
it yourself.
I would suggest striking it off to a small 45 deg chamfer as it is easier to
do than freehanding a radius.
Start with a couple of diamond sharpening stones up to 600 grit, then use
diamond disks for an angle grinder to take it up to 3000 grit.

Paul K. Dickman

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news
My granite counter top in the kitchen has about a 1/16" radius edge. Big
mistake! now the edge has a number of little chips out of it. I wonder
if there is a way to fix without removing it and sending it back to the
company that made it. You can't notice the chips but you can feel them
and it makes me sick. Maybe a diamond file or such to smooth them out?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 00:40:05 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

My granite counter top in the kitchen has about a 1/16" radius edge.
Big mistake! now the edge has a number of little chips out of it. I
wonder if there is a way to fix without removing it and sending it back
to the company that made it. You can't notice the chips but you can
feel them and it makes me sick. Maybe a diamond file or such to smooth
them out?

Paul's right. The guys who install these use diamond cups on 4-1/2"
angle grinders to touch up. I repaired one of the huge Italian CNC
cutting and polishing machines in LoCal once. It was something like
22' long, 10' wide, and over 8' tall.

It takes hours to put a 3/8" radius or 45-degree 1/2" wide bevel on
the edge of a countertop with a 12" cutter. I can't imagine doing that
with a hand grinder, but someone who works on them daily would be able
to tell you better. If you had two pieces joined in the kitchen, it
likely won't be movable.

I don't know why people like stone counters. They viciously suck the
warmth out of anything which rests on them (hands, elbows, hips, or
butts.) They also stain, chip, and explode anything dropped on them,
not to mention the ungodly cost of materials and installation. I've
stuck with good, old, comfortable Formica. Set your hands down on
that and it warms to you in seconds. shrug

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/20/2018 9:12 AM, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
They can be ground on site.
You can hire somebody, but you probably have the necessary skill set to do
it yourself.
I would suggest striking it off to a small 45 deg chamfer as it is easier to
do than freehanding a radius.
Start with a couple of diamond sharpening stones up to 600 grit, then use
diamond disks for an angle grinder to take it up to 3000 grit.

Paul K. Dickman

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news
My granite counter top in the kitchen has about a 1/16" radius edge. Big
mistake! now the edge has a number of little chips out of it. I wonder
if there is a way to fix without removing it and sending it back to the
company that made it. You can't notice the chips but you can feel them
and it makes me sick. Maybe a diamond file or such to smooth them out?

Thanks Paul, I'll try that. What do you think is the best counter top?
I love the look of the granite, guests just love it too.
but it must be kept impeccably clean, of course it's black.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/20/2018 10:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I don't know why people like stone counters. They viciously suck the
warmth out of anything which rests on them (hands, elbows, hips, or
butts.) They also stain, chip, and explode anything dropped on them,
not to mention the ungodly cost of materials and installation. I've
stuck with good, old, comfortable Formica. Set your hands down on
that and it warms to you in seconds. shrug

--
I'm going to try Paul's method, it seems reasonable. My sister wouldn't
do Formica, I would have...until I saw the granite slab they wanted to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:

....until I saw the granite slab they wanted to
use, it's breathtaking.

So, it'll make a great backsplash, visible over the laminate work surface.

I've made the dark stone table mistake once, and my solution: cover it with books,
if you can't see the surface you don't need to clean it again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Don't try for a big chamfer. Just enough to grind out the chips.

I do a lot of metalwork for architects and decorators, and most of them call
me back in for punchlist day and pay me $75 an hour to solve all the little
problems that crop up.

I've watched dozens of stone countertop installations, and in my opinion
they're all a waste of money unless you're a candymaker who likes to make
candycanes next to the sink.

In most of these jobs, I've watched them rip out the granite countertop the
last owner put in and install a new one.

My counter tops are 1" vitreous tile with white grout. If anything gets
chipped, I have another 10 sq feet of tile in the basement to fix it and the
grout is easy to match.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:00:35 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news
On 4/20/2018 9:12 AM, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
They can be ground on site.
You can hire somebody, but you probably have the necessary skill set to
do
it yourself.
I would suggest striking it off to a small 45 deg chamfer as it is easier
do than freehanding a radius.
Start with a couple of diamond sharpening stones up to 600 grit, then use
diamond disks for an angle grinder to take it up to 3000 grit.

Paul K. Dickman

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news My granite counter top in the kitchen has about a 1/16" radius edge.
[...]

I have nerve damage in both hands which makes it hard for me to tell
how tightly I am gripping things. So I tend to drop things. So I put
maple countertops in my new house. They look great and are more
forgiving to dropped stuff. I also have two pull out cutting boards
and three more under the stove. Nevertheless when we had some guests
over and some stuff needed to be chopped one woman almost started
cutting directly on my countertop. I caught her just in time. She
thought that the all my countertops were chopping blocks. Sheesh!
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 14:08:23 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I'm going to try Paul's method, it seems reasonable. My sister wouldn't
do Formica, I would have...until I saw the granite slab they wanted to
use, it's breathtaking.

Yeah, granite can be gorgeous, but it's so damned nasty to live with.
I fell in love with the Verde Ubatuba (deep emerald with veins of gold
through it; simply magnificent) a couple decades ago, but the only
granite I'd have in my house would be a -poster- of it. Just too
cold. Pictures of the verde ubatuba they have today don't even come
close to the beauty of the stone they were selling back then.

The patterns they have in Formica now photographically match any
granite you might want. It's too bad you didn't pull that on her. g

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
(Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Gouge (chip) in granite countertop blueman Home Repair 1 January 1st 05 05:27 PM
Sealing granite countertop blueman Home Repair 1 December 29th 04 02:52 PM
Granite Countertop Leaving water and oil spots [email protected] Home Ownership 5 December 19th 04 08:41 PM
Polishing granite edges Toby UK diy 5 July 27th 04 10:08 PM
Need Advice on Mounting a Piece of Granite in Countertop Tom Sikes Home Repair 4 July 21st 03 12:49 AM