blueman

Default Gouge (chip) in granite countertop

We just found what appears to be a gouge or chip in our granite
kitchen countertop. The gouge is about the size of a dime and depth of
maybe 1/8 - 1/16th of an inch. The bottom of the gouge is very
irregular and black.

- What is the best way to repair or at least mask the gouge? How in
particular does one match the color and pattern of the original so
that the repair does not look worse than the defect?

- We are not sure what caused the gauge. Is it possible that a caustic
substance caused it or can it only come from impact with a sharp or
heavy object? (we have been using various paint strippers, paints,
plasters, etc. that may have temporarily gotten on the countertop)