Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Epoxies for metals and plastics

This subject comes up pretty often here, so I thought I'd point out a
specialty adhesive company that I've used in recent years for article
research. They make a huge range of specialty epoxies, silicones and
polyurethanes, and they provide enough technical information that you
can get an idea of what special properties are needed for each
application, including around 20 particular metals and a variety of
plastics. Their website is useful whether or not you plan to use their
products. Take a look at their papers and articles on surface prep,
etc.:

https://www.masterbond.com/?utm_sour...m_campaign=cpf

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Ed. I can really use this!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 10:45:27 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

Thanks Ed. I can really use this!

You make it all worthwhile. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I remain impressed by what Armstrong A-12 could do for us 31 years ago.
Still made, still at a price that indicates they are proud of the stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:33:32 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
This subject comes up pretty often here, so I thought I'd point out a
specialty adhesive company that I've used in recent years for article
research. They make a huge range of specialty epoxies, silicones and
polyurethanes, and they provide enough technical information that you
can get an idea of what special properties are needed for each
application,
Ed Huntress

Not directly on topic, but today I picked up some kevlar roving from the Habitat for Humanity store. So if anyone needs an ounce or so of kevlar fiber let me knew.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03-Oct-17 11:33 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
This subject comes up pretty often here, so I thought I'd point out a
specialty adhesive company that I've used in recent years for article
research. They make a huge range of specialty epoxies, silicones and
polyurethanes, and they provide enough technical information that you
can get an idea of what special properties are needed for each
application, including around 20 particular metals and a variety of
plastics. Their website is useful whether or not you plan to use their
products. Take a look at their papers and articles on surface prep,
etc.:

https://www.masterbond.com/?utm_sour...m_campaign=cpf

Cheers Ed - there's a LOT of info on that site. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 19:31:58 +0800, Trumble
wrote:

On 03-Oct-17 11:33 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
This subject comes up pretty often here, so I thought I'd point out a
specialty adhesive company that I've used in recent years for article
research. They make a huge range of specialty epoxies, silicones and
polyurethanes, and they provide enough technical information that you
can get an idea of what special properties are needed for each
application, including around 20 particular metals and a variety of
plastics. Their website is useful whether or not you plan to use their
products. Take a look at their papers and articles on surface prep,
etc.:

https://www.masterbond.com/?utm_sour...m_campaign=cpf

Cheers Ed - there's a LOT of info on that site. Thanks.

Great. I hope you find it to be useful.

A lot has been done to improve high-strength adhesives in recent
years. Of interest to most of us is the toughened versions of epoxy
and polyurethane that provide great shear strength while also having
excellent peel and cleavage strength. The aerospace-grade expoxies,
particularly, have been able to produce shear strengths of 10,000 psi
for at least the last 40 years or so, but they peel right off if the
substrate is flexible.

That's why they came up with rivet-bonding. The sole purpose of those
rivets on aircraft wings today is to prevent the edges of a lap joint
from lifiting and initiating a peel failure. If you see rivets on an
aircraft wing arranged in a straight line, or in two rows, rather than
a traditional rivet pattern, that's what's going on.

When you look at how they're bonding car parts today, you realize that
the problem has largely been solved. Where you see rivets (in the new
Fords and Buicks, for example), they're there primarily to hold things
together while the adhesives cure.

Masterbond seems to be on top of that, and they're a bit more
forthcoming than Dow or Loctite.

--
Ed Huntress