Default HCl and plastics

Hi

I plan to use HCl on a shower head - dont know what kind of plastic it
is though, makes it hard to look up whether it'll be happy with the
HCl. Any ideas?

Cheers,
NT

Newshound

I plan to use HCl on a shower head - dont know what kind of plastic it
is though, makes it hard to look up whether it'll be happy with the
HCl. Any ideas?

Without checking my stuff at work, I can't offhand think of any normal
structural plastic which will have any trouble with HCl at room temperature.
You weren't planning to boil it for 24 hours were you?

Norman Billingham

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I plan to use HCl on a shower head - dont know what kind of plastic it
is though, makes it hard to look up whether it'll be happy with the
HCl. Any ideas?

If all you want to do is descale it then dilute (say 5%) HCl will not attack
any likely plastic, but keep it well away from any plated parts - it will
dissolve chromium or aluminium. On the other hand, kettle descaler wil also
work and is a lot safer.

Newshound wrote:
I plan to use HCl on a shower head - dont know what kind of plastic it
is though, makes it hard to look up whether it'll be happy with the
HCl. Any ideas?

Without checking my stuff at work, I can't offhand think of any normal
structural plastic which will have any trouble with HCl at room temperature.
You weren't planning to boil it for 24 hours were you?

thank you Hehe, no I've found healthier ways to take my frustrations
out

NT

John

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I plan to use HCl on a shower head - dont know what kind of plastic it
is though, makes it hard to look up whether it'll be happy with the
HCl. Any ideas?

If all you want to do is descale it then dilute (say 5%) HCl will not
attack
any likely plastic, but keep it well away from any plated parts - it will
dissolve chromium or aluminium. On the other hand, kettle descaler wil
also
work and is a lot safer.

Polypropylene was the pipe material of choice for concentrated (36%) HCl and
many other acids in the process industry. IIRC one of the trade mags
Process Today or some such title used to give a free chemical/corrosion
resistance chart away with their new year issue each year. A copy of such a
chart might be a useful addition to the FAQ if someone can get hold of a
current one.

dave stanton

Polypropylene was the pipe material of choice for concentrated (36%) HCl and
many other acids in the process industry. IIRC one of the trade mags
Process Today or some such title used to give a free chemical/corrosion
resistance chart away with their new year issue each year. A copy of such a
chart might be a useful addition to the FAQ if someone can get hold of a
current one.

Right then, hands up all those setting up a diy chemical plant in your
back garden.....

Dave

Norman Billingham wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I plan to use HCl on a shower head - dont know what kind of plastic it
is though, makes it hard to look up whether it'll be happy with the
HCl. Any ideas?

If all you want to do is descale it then dilute (say 5%) HCl will not attack
any likely plastic, but keep it well away from any plated parts - it will
dissolve chromium or aluminium. On the other hand, kettle descaler wil also
work and is a lot safer.

I've always found citric pretty useless. At best it might get a thin
film off, I need to remove a goodly crust

Thanks,
NT

John Cartmell

In article . com,
wrote:
Sulphamic (as in Fernox descaler) is powerful but as easy to handle as
citric. IME the speed of descaling is not increased by acid strength.
Overnight in either acid works just as well.

HCl acid removal is instant, 1 second. I'm going to have to learn to
ignore you arent I.

I think you're each defining 'strength' in different ways. Was Stuart meaning
'concentration'?

Stuart Noble

John Cartmell wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Sulphamic (as in Fernox descaler) is powerful but as easy to handle as
citric. IME the speed of descaling is not increased by acid strength.
Overnight in either acid works just as well.

HCl acid removal is instant, 1 second. I'm going to have to learn to
ignore you arent I.

I think you're each defining 'strength' in different ways. Was Stuart meaning
'concentration'?

No, I meant the type of acid. I don't personally like using hydrochloric
because I'm a pansy