Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reusing Broken Carbide

I was thinking about picking up a silicone carbide "green stone" for
grinding carbide. In my milling operations I do generate a bit of broken
carbide. I was thinking if I could grind it to fit specialty tools made to
clamp or hold on the shaft sizes I might never need to buy another insert
again.

Will a standard star wheel dressing tool square up a green stone when it
gets worn?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 16:51:22 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I was thinking about picking up a silicone carbide "green stone" for
grinding carbide. In my milling operations I do generate a bit of broken
carbide. I was thinking if I could grind it to fit specialty tools made to
clamp or hold on the shaft sizes I might never need to buy another insert
again.

It's hard to get a really sharp edge on carbide with a green stone. If
you don't need a sharp edge, they work OK. That's what I use, but I
finish with a diamond hone because my lathe doesn't have the power to
run chamfered-edige cutting tools and I need a sharp edge. It probably
would be smarter to go diamond all the way.

I don't use a lot of carbide so I put up with my klutzy approach.

Will a standard star wheel dressing tool square up a green stone when it
gets worn?

A diamond-tipped dressing tool works a lot better on a vitrified
silicon carbide wheel.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Heck, I use a diamond hone to finish my HSS tooling too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 7:51:28 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Will a standard star wheel dressing tool square up a green stone when it
gets worn?

I would go to AliExpress and get a diamond dressing tool. I just looked and there are some for less than $2 including shipping.

Not sure if a standard star dressing tool will work, it probably will but a diamond dressing tool is cheap. ( well not at MSC. )

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was thinking about picking up a silicone carbide "green stone" for
grinding carbide. In my milling operations I do generate a bit of broken
carbide. I was thinking if I could grind it to fit specialty tools made to
clamp or hold on the shaft sizes I might never need to buy another insert
again.

Will a standard star wheel dressing tool square up a green stone when it
gets worn?

A standard star wheel will dress a green stone. But If I was you I
wouldn't even consider using a green stone for grinding carbide. Use a
diamond wheel. They can be had cheap from China, will way outlast
silicon carbide, and they grind carbide to a much finer edge. Much,
much finer. Much, much, much finer. And much betterer too. Really. I
grind a lot of custom carbide tooling for use in my shop. I use
diamond abrasives exclusively for this.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was thinking about picking up a silicone carbide "green stone" for
grinding carbide. In my milling operations I do generate a bit of broken
carbide. I was thinking if I could grind it to fit specialty tools made to
clamp or hold on the shaft sizes I might never need to buy another insert
again.

Will a standard star wheel dressing tool square up a green stone when it
gets worn?

Yes indeed it does.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was thinking about picking up a silicone carbide "green stone" for
grinding carbide. In my milling operations I do generate a bit of broken
carbide. I was thinking if I could grind it to fit specialty tools made to
clamp or hold on the shaft sizes I might never need to buy another insert
again.

Will a standard star wheel dressing tool square up a green stone when it
gets worn?

Yes indeed it does.

Squaring the face is not the only issue. Silicon carbide depends for
its performance on having sharp grains. They're inherently sharper
than those of aluminum oxide, and they have to be for the wheel to cut
cleanly.

A diamond dresser gives you sharp grains. A star wheel dresser just
crushes the binder.

--
Ed Huntress