Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Reusing Broken Carbide

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 13:57:46 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 16:51:22 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I was thinking about picking up a silicone carbide "green stone" for
grinding carbide. In my milling operations I do generate a bit of broken
carbide. I was thinking if I could grind it to fit specialty tools made to
clamp or hold on the shaft sizes I might never need to buy another insert
again.

Will a standard star wheel dressing tool square up a green stone when it
gets worn?

Yes indeed it does.

Squaring the face is not the only issue. Silicon carbide depends for
its performance on having sharp grains. They're inherently sharper
than those of aluminum oxide, and they have to be for the wheel to cut
cleanly.

A diamond dresser gives you sharp grains. A star wheel dresser just
crushes the binder.

--
Ed Huntress