Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Reusing Broken Carbide

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 16:51:22 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I was thinking about picking up a silicone carbide "green stone" for
grinding carbide. In my milling operations I do generate a bit of broken
carbide. I was thinking if I could grind it to fit specialty tools made to
clamp or hold on the shaft sizes I might never need to buy another insert
again.

It's hard to get a really sharp edge on carbide with a green stone. If
you don't need a sharp edge, they work OK. That's what I use, but I
finish with a diamond hone because my lathe doesn't have the power to
run chamfered-edige cutting tools and I need a sharp edge. It probably
would be smarter to go diamond all the way.

I don't use a lot of carbide so I put up with my klutzy approach.

Will a standard star wheel dressing tool square up a green stone when it
gets worn?

A diamond-tipped dressing tool works a lot better on a vitrified
silicon carbide wheel.

--
Ed Huntress