Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need the load max On a I-Beam that would fit in a 4 foot long gap

I need a smaller I-Beam in the basement of my house. The I-Beam would go where supporting joists are currently. Reason for this = if it works it will give me the allowable head room to redo my stairs. The thickest/ tallest I could allow would be 4 inches vertically and up to 2 feet 2 inches wide. This would then be a part of a load bearing wall. So I need to know how much weight that this possible I-Beam could hold. Any help is wonderfully taken into account and thank you so much in advance.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One approach other than replacing the supporting beam is to make the
"supporting wall" self supporting, not only of itself but the load above
it. Most generally stated, remove the plaster wall boards and replace with
plywood and bracing. And calculate the deflection and then hold the load
hi an equivilent amount so the supporting wall, ie beam wall, doesn't sag
with the load. In other words, give the "beam wall" a little upward
curvature to compensate for the load when applied.
There is a bit of calculation required and if you are asking the
internet about such things, your task becomes a search for someone
familiar the stresses involved; maybe an architect's engineer or one of
the companies that make roof truses for houses.
If you want to stick with the I beam, start looking for dimensions of
the current beam and, with a beam calculator (probably found on the
internet with the name "beam"), figure it's capability and then find an
appropriate I beam to match it.
There are lots of people here that have suitable calculators and would
be glad to help, given those dimensions.

Hul

I need a smaller I-Beam in the basement of my house. The I-Beam would go where supporting joists are currently. Reason for this = if it works it will give me the allowable head room to redo my stairs. The thickest/ tallest I could allow would be 4 inches vertically and up to 2 feet 2 inches wide. This would then be a part of a load bearing wall. So I need to know how much weight that this possible I-Beam could hold. Any help is wonderfully taken into account and thank you so much in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I need a smaller I-Beam in the basement of my house. The I-Beam would
go where supporting joists are currently. Reason for this = if it
works it will give me the allowable head room to redo my stairs. The
thickest/ tallest I could allow would be 4 inches vertically and up to
2 feet 2 inches wide. This would then be a part of a load bearing
wall. So I need to know how much weight that this possible I-Beam
could hold. Any help is wonderfully taken into account and thank you
so much in advance

=============

http://webstructural.com/steel-beam-how-to.html

..Cutting the joists changes the support of the remaining sections from
fixed to pinned, which is weaker.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/21/2017 6:19 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
One approach other than replacing the supporting beam is to make the
"supporting wall" self supporting, not only of itself but the load above
it. ...

Good idea, unless there's a door in that wall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 20:40:01 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
I need a smaller I-Beam in the basement of my house. The I-Beam would
go where supporting joists are currently. Reason for this = if it
works it will give me the allowable head room to redo my stairs. The
thickest/ tallest I could allow would be 4 inches vertically and up to
2 feet 2 inches wide. This would then be a part of a load bearing
wall. So I need to know how much weight that this possible I-Beam
could hold. Any help is wonderfully taken into account and thank you
so much in advance

=============

http://webstructural.com/steel-beam-how-to.html

.Cutting the joists changes the support of the remaining sections from
fixed to pinned, which is weaker.

I thought it entertaining that he wanted to use I-beams -sideways-.
4" tall by 26" wide? g

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message
I need a smaller I-Beam in the basement of my house. The I-Beam
would
go where supporting joists are currently. Reason for this = if it
works it will give me the allowable head room to redo my stairs. The
thickest/ tallest I could allow would be 4 inches vertically and up
2 feet 2 inches wide. This would then be a part of a load bearing
wall. So I need to know how much weight that this possible I-Beam
could hold. Any help is wonderfully taken into account and thank you
so much in advance

=============

http://webstructural.com/steel-beam-how-to.html

.Cutting the joists changes the support of the remaining sections
from
fixed to pinned, which is weaker.

I thought it entertaining that he wanted to use I-beams -sideways-.
4" tall by 26" wide? g

I didn't understand structural properties until I studied Statics in
college. Steel seems infinitely hard and strong if you don't have the
means to work with it.

My source of cheap structural steel was a scrap dealer's stack of
surplus 3" and 4" channel iron that had been pallet rack shelves.
-jsw