Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need the load max On a I-Beam that would fit in a 4 foot long gap

wrote in message
I need a smaller I-Beam in the basement of my house. The I-Beam would
go where supporting joists are currently. Reason for this = if it
works it will give me the allowable head room to redo my stairs. The
thickest/ tallest I could allow would be 4 inches vertically and up to
2 feet 2 inches wide. This would then be a part of a load bearing
wall. So I need to know how much weight that this possible I-Beam
could hold. Any help is wonderfully taken into account and thank you
so much in advance

http://webstructural.com/steel-beam-how-to.html

..Cutting the joists changes the support of the remaining sections from
fixed to pinned, which is weaker.