Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop's worst day ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 22:04:03 -0500, Ignoramus22088
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

He was standing so close, it's a wonder it didn't eat him on the way
down. Lucky man. What a bummer! Good thing you replaced the cable
on your crane, huh? Well worth the price and aggravation/time.

-
If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin.
-- Samuel Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

He was standing so close, it's a wonder it didn't eat him on the way
down. Lucky man. What a bummer! Good thing you replaced the cable
on your crane, huh? Well worth the price and aggravation/time.

I agree 100%. It was not even super expensive, just over $500 IIRC.
I was just using the crane yesterday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:04:12 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus22088 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

I was just reading a thread on sci.engr.joining.welding (one of those several-year-old-recently-resurrected threads) from a guy who didn't exactly know what he was doing who was asking about welding a link in a hoist chain. It scared me some when I read it. Now it scares me more.

Let's be careful out there!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22088 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

Brian was really lucky. BUT go watch the other videos of him wilding
that monster back together and drilling holes with it...

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

He was standing so close, it's a wonder it didn't eat him on the way
down. Lucky man. What a bummer! Good thing you replaced the cable
on your crane, huh? Well worth the price and aggravation/time.

-
If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin.
-- Samuel Adams

Could see it coming though, he was taking load off the little chain
falls, the drill wasn't moving, so SOMETHING was taking the extra load
- it ended up being the overloaded and deteriorated crane cable - - -
-
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

He was standing so close, it's a wonder it didn't eat him on the way
down. Lucky man. What a bummer! Good thing you replaced the cable
on your crane, huh? Well worth the price and aggravation/time.

I agree 100%. It was not even super expensive, just over $500 IIRC.
I was just using the crane yesterday.

I'm sure it makes your salvage operation go much, much more smoothly
and easily.

-
If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin.
-- Samuel Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

He was standing so close, it's a wonder it didn't eat him on the way
down. Lucky man. What a bummer! Good thing you replaced the cable
on your crane, huh? Well worth the price and aggravation/time.

Could see it coming though, he was taking load off the little chain
falls, the drill wasn't moving, so SOMETHING was taking the extra load
- it ended up being the overloaded and deteriorated crane cable - - -

I was watching the spare hoist chains moving and another sling
shifting but not yet touching, so I thought it was OK until BAM!
It hit the floor. Hearing him lament that "it was such an angle"
means that he knew that extra stress was on the device and that it
might happen. That's what happens when you don't listen to the little
voice inside telling you to be careful or to do something. I think
it's the Anti-Murphy Angel, if not your intuition.

--
A good plan violently executed now is better
than a perfect plan executed next week.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22088 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

WOW! Lucky the guy wasn't under the drill when it let go! YIKES!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Thu, 27 Jul 2017
10:45:40 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

The Apprentice says "Why didn't that work."

"I didn't think that was going to work." is the mark of the
Master.

That was what the electrician said after the short in the
transformer (220 to 110) knocked him on his butt.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

He was standing so close, it's a wonder it didn't eat him on the way
down. Lucky man. What a bummer! Good thing you replaced the cable
on your crane, huh? Well worth the price and aggravation/time.

I agree 100%. It was not even super expensive, just over $500 IIRC.
I was just using the crane yesterday.

I'm sure it makes your salvage operation go much, much more smoothly
and easily.

Yes, and needing crane means I can ask for a lot more money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-07-27, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus22088 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

WOW! Lucky the guy wasn't under the drill when it let go! YIKES!

Jon

Yes, I got shivers watching that video...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-07-27, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus22088 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

WOW! Lucky the guy wasn't under the drill when it let go! YIKES!

Jon

Yes, I got shivers watching that video...

At first, from the title, I thought this was in YOUR shop. Glad it was NOT!

There's a REASON they make you replace crane and elevator cables every year.
This guy now KNOWS why.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Emphasis on "think", I presume? Good man. I've found that working on
live 120/240 wires is generally OK as long as you wear (at least one)
nitrile gloves. It saves a lot of time and trips if you're careful
not to do any arc welding. AAMOF, you can tell the flavor of the
voltage by the little squeak you get when poking your finger on one of
the cut ends while your arm is grounded. g

--
A good plan violently executed now is better
than a perfect plan executed next week.
--Gen George S. Patton, Jr.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 17:01:36 -0500, Ignoramus24945

On 2017-07-27, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus22088 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

WOW! Lucky the guy wasn't under the drill when it let go! YIKES!

Jon

Yes, I got shivers watching that video...

Full-body goosebumps, fer sher.

--
A good plan violently executed now is better
than a perfect plan executed next week.
--Gen George S. Patton, Jr.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

OUCH!!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 10:44:46 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ignoramus22088 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

Brian was really lucky. BUT go watch the other videos of him wilding
that monster back together and drilling holes with it...

Did he fix it? Got a link?

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus22088 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

Brian was really lucky. BUT go watch the other videos of him wilding
that monster back together and drilling holes with it...

Did he fix it? Got a link?

Gunner

Yep, he welded up the castings and straightened the shafts and has put
it to use making money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4EXhStk4Go

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, 27 July 2017 15:01:09 UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus22088 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

WOW! Lucky the guy wasn't under the drill when it let go! YIKES!

Jon

Even w/o the drill hitting him- if he'd been on the other side and the sheaves thing hit him in the head he'd not be here- that baseball cap would have done nothing.