Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop's worst day ever

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:41:48 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Thu, 27 Jul 2017
10:45:40 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:01:14 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 21:31:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 22:04:03 -0500, Ignoramus22088
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg

He was standing so close, it's a wonder it didn't eat him on the way
down. Lucky man. What a bummer! Good thing you replaced the cable
on your crane, huh? Well worth the price and aggravation/time.

Could see it coming though, he was taking load off the little chain
falls, the drill wasn't moving, so SOMETHING was taking the extra load
- it ended up being the overloaded and deteriorated crane cable - - -

I was watching the spare hoist chains moving and another sling
shifting but not yet touching, so I thought it was OK until BAM!
It hit the floor. Hearing him lament that "it was such an angle"
means that he knew that extra stress was on the device and that it
might happen. That's what happens when you don't listen to the little
voice inside telling you to be careful or to do something. I think
it's the Anti-Murphy Angel, if not your intuition.

The Apprentice says "Why didn't that work."

"I didn't think that was going to work." is the mark of the
Master.

That was what the electrician said after the short in the
transformer (220 to 110) knocked him on his butt.

Emphasis on "think", I presume? Good man. I've found that working on
live 120/240 wires is generally OK as long as you wear (at least one)
nitrile gloves. It saves a lot of time and trips if you're careful
not to do any arc welding. AAMOF, you can tell the flavor of the
voltage by the little squeak you get when poking your finger on one of
the cut ends while your arm is grounded. g

--
A good plan violently executed now is better
than a perfect plan executed next week.