Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old February 4th 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,353
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

I have a VFD on my drill press, so the foot switch doesn't carry motor
current and is just some old thing that I found at the dump. One thing
about it is that it is a rocker switch that closes different contacts by
stepping on the right side or the left side. So I have forward &
reverse. Reverse does get used, but seldom.

I use the foot switch when I want to be able to turn the drill press off
quickly, without moving my hand from the feed lever. Since I pretty
much never clamp the work, my other hand is busy holding it.

I power tap in the drill press & always use the foot switch for that.
Right hand brings the tap down to the hole with left hand holding. Foot
switch starts, stops, and backs up the tap.

Bob

  #12   Report Post  
Old February 4th 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 8,370
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 08:04:19 -0600, Robert Nichols
wrote:

On 02/03/2017 01:00 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill press.

Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when I am standing
on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the leads to the motor,
but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason not to have a foot switch
on a drill press. Its really quick for some types of job.

Are you absolutely certain you will never accidentally step on the foot switch while
changing bits in the chuck?


Let's play "chuck the chuck"! WHAM! Oops. Most people only play
that game once in their life.

-
"Surprisingly, open-minded Hollywood has not yet agreed to allow
unvetted refugees to mill freely about their heavily guarded film
studios." --Twitter satirist @weknowwhatsbest
  #13   Report Post  
Old February 4th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 8,370
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:34:09 -0800, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 02/04/2017 06:04 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 02/03/2017 01:00 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing
drill press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on
except when I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the
foot switch into the leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there
is any over riding reason not to have a foot switch on a drill press.
Its really quick for some types of job.


Are you absolutely certain you will never accidentally step on the foot
switch while changing bits in the chuck?


I have a footswitch hooked up to my shopvac underneath my work table so
I can quickly get rid of debris on the table. Over the years I have had
this setup, there have been maybe a half-dozen times when I
inadvertently hit the switch, which can be startling with a shopvac
coming on unexpectedly.


Especially one of those old 109dB units screaming at 16kRPM. The whole
neighborhood knows when you clean your shop.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
  #14   Report Post  
Old February 4th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,664
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 13:26:45 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have a VFD on my drill press, so the foot switch doesn't carry motor
current and is just some old thing that I found at the dump. One thing
about it is that it is a rocker switch that closes different contacts by
stepping on the right side or the left side. So I have forward &
reverse. Reverse does get used, but seldom.

I use the foot switch when I want to be able to turn the drill press off
quickly, without moving my hand from the feed lever. Since I pretty
much never clamp the work, my other hand is busy holding it.

I power tap in the drill press & always use the foot switch for that.
Right hand brings the tap down to the hole with left hand holding. Foot
switch starts, stops, and backs up the tap.

Bob

Greetings Bob,
I have thought about having a reversing motor for tapping on a drill
press many times. I was thinking that I would have a motor that turns
CCW by default and turns CW with a foot switch. Then all that needs to
be done to back off the tap is to step off of the switch. Now I may
really do it.
Eric
  #15   Report Post  
Old February 4th 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2014
Posts: 185
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On 4/02/2017 6:00 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press.


I set up a foot switch on the mister on my manual mill. I ran on small
compressors for several years before finally getting a large commercial
duty job, so was always looking for ways to cut air consumption.

Also had a foot switch set up with an outlet so I could use it for my
drill press or shop vac.

Jon


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus



  #16   Report Post  
Old February 4th 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,766
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 2:45:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Greetings Bob,
I have thought about having a reversing motor for tapping on a drill
press many times. I was thinking that I would have a motor that turns
CCW by default and turns CW with a foot switch. Then all that needs to
be done to back off the tap is to step off of the switch. Now I may
really do it.
Eric


You might need to think about this a bit more. Assuming you have a single phase motor, it will not reverse instantly. But if it is three phase , you just need the foot switch to swap two leads.

Dan
  #17   Report Post  
Old February 4th 17, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 8,370
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 11:45:36 -0800, wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 13:26:45 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have a VFD on my drill press, so the foot switch doesn't carry motor
current and is just some old thing that I found at the dump. One thing
about it is that it is a rocker switch that closes different contacts by
stepping on the right side or the left side. So I have forward &
reverse. Reverse does get used, but seldom.

I use the foot switch when I want to be able to turn the drill press off
quickly, without moving my hand from the feed lever. Since I pretty
much never clamp the work, my other hand is busy holding it.

I power tap in the drill press & always use the foot switch for that.
Right hand brings the tap down to the hole with left hand holding. Foot
switch starts, stops, and backs up the tap.

Bob

Greetings Bob,
I have thought about having a reversing motor for tapping on a drill
press many times. I was thinking that I would have a motor that turns
CCW by default and turns CW with a foot switch. Then all that needs to
be done to back off the tap is to step off of the switch. Now I may
really do it.


I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made
for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an
ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet.
My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_
as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
  #18   Report Post  
Old February 4th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,482
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On 2017-02-03, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.


Just make it so it is in a guard, so something falling, or a
foot placed wrong won't start it while you are changing drill bits in
the chuck. A quonset-hut shape bolted to a mounting plate for the
switch would be good.

Perhaps put it in series with the switch on the drill press
head, so both have to be on to run the motor. Or a center-off switch
with one position for motor on without the foot switch engaged, and in
the other position, the motor waits for the foot switch.

What I've done with my 1977 or so drill press is replace the
motor with a three-phase one, with a small VFD on the side and three
push buttons on the front. Two in guards for forward and reverse, and
one with a big red cap for stop. (Oh yes, and a pot for speed.) The red
STOP button is in the place easiest to reach, and I can even hit it with
my nose to stop while both hands are occupied. :-) What I really like is
to set the speed to barely turning, hit the FWD button while the tip of
the bit is engaged, and then up the speed once it starts cutting.

But -- there are times when I would like to have a foot switch,
perhaps just for stop.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---
  #19   Report Post  
Old February 5th 17, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2016
Posts: 150
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2017-02-03, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.


Just make it so it is in a guard, so something
falling, or a
foot placed wrong won't start it while you are changing drill bits in
the chuck. A quonset-hut shape bolted to a mounting plate for the
switch would be good.

Perhaps put it in series with the switch on the drill press
head, so both have to be on to run the motor. Or a center-off switch
with one position for motor on without the foot switch engaged, and in
the other position, the motor waits for the foot switch.

What I've done with my 1977 or so drill press is replace the
motor with a three-phase one, with a small VFD on the side and three
push buttons on the front.


Do you use current-limiting fusing in the panel?
  #20   Report Post  
Old February 5th 17, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2016
Posts: 150
Default Drill Press Foot Switch

wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2017-02-03, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.


Just make it so it is in a guard, so something
falling, or a
foot placed wrong won't start it while you are changing drill bits in
the chuck. A quonset-hut shape bolted to a mounting plate for the
switch would be good.

Perhaps put it in series with the switch on the drill press
head, so both have to be on to run the motor. Or a center-off switch
with one position for motor on without the foot switch engaged, and in
the other position, the motor waits for the foot switch.

What I've done with my 1977 or so drill press is replace the
motor with a three-phase one, with a small VFD on the side and three
push buttons on the front.


Do you use current-limiting fusing in the panel?


Or do you add any additional circuit-breaker protection 'solely' because the Variable Frequency Drive has been added?

(I ask because I saw where another question like that was raised somewhere else on another website and it went un-answered)


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drill Press Foot Pedal trvlnmny@yahoo.com Woodworking 2 October 22nd 12 04:04 PM
Drill press switch query Terry[_2_] Metalworking 15 July 30th 09 12:46 AM
FS: Powermatic 1150 drill press, with foot pedal Ignoramus27956 Woodworking 0 June 11th 09 03:06 PM
Portable drill press/guide vs. Real drill press? blueman Woodworking 9 September 8th 06 05:32 PM
Delta Drill Press Safety Switch firstjois Woodworking 17 September 5th 04 07:20 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017