Old February 3rd 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Foot Switch

I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.

Old February 3rd 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 12:00:58 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.

I have a couple drill presses wired with foot switches. The way I
wired them I can switch between the foot switch or the regular switch.
That way I have the best of both worlds. WhenI'm not using the foot
switch it hangs from a hook on the drill press column. I use a
different switch for the light.
Eric
Old February 3rd 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.

Sounds like a great idea. It sounds like it's a momentary switch,
only on when you have your foot down on it, as opposed to a press
on/press off style. Both ways have their pros and cons, I'm sure.

I suggest wiring the lamp through the switch box so that it is always
hot, then use the lamp switch for lamp function. That feels like the
safest way.

-
"Surprisingly, open-minded Hollywood has not yet agreed to allow
unvetted refugees to mill freely about their heavily guarded film
studios." --Twitter satirist @weknowwhatsbest
Old February 4th 17, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 2:01:03 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.

I bought a bunchtoy drill press off Craigs List that already had a foot switch wired so one could use either the foot switch or the switch on the drill press.
And I can see it would be really good for some jobs, but I rarely use the foot switch. It is just that I usually do not drill two holes with the same drill.
So before you run out and buy a foot switch, think about what kind of work you do.

Dan

Old February 4th 17, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 2:01:03 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.

Just yesterday I put a foot switch on the vacuum cleaner that I use with my taig mill. For some jobs, there is very little swarf and no reason at all to keep the vacuum running and making noise. This is one of the best sanity-saving things I've done in a long time.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to use a foot switch on a drill press if you're doing enough holes between tool changes to make it worthwhile.
Old February 4th 17, 02:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/03/2017 01:00 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types of job.

Are you absolutely certain you will never accidentally step on the foot switch while changing bits in the chuck?

Old February 4th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 10:29:49 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:

I don't know why you wouldn't want to use a foot switch on a drill press if you're doing enough holes between tool changes to make it worthwhile.

I agree. But find that I seldom use it.

Dan

Old February 4th 17, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 9:05:55 AM UTC-5, Robert Nichols wrote:

Are you absolutely certain you will never accidentally step on the foot switch while changing bits in the chuck?

Has not been a problem. THe foot switch that I have has the switch under a guard so it is not likely to be accidentally actuated.

Dan

Old February 4th 17, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/04/2017 06:04 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 02/03/2017 01:00 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing
drill press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on
except when I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the
foot switch into the leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there
is any over riding reason not to have a foot switch on a drill press.
Its really quick for some types of job.

Are you absolutely certain you will never accidentally step on the foot
switch while changing bits in the chuck?

I have a footswitch hooked up to my shopvac underneath my work table so
I can quickly get rid of debris on the table. Over the years I have had
this setup, there have been maybe a half-dozen times when I
inadvertently hit the switch, which can be startling with a shopvac
coming on unexpectedly.

Jon