Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Someday is here !

Several years ago , while browsing in one of the tourist trap secondhand
stores here , I bought a saw tooth setting device for hand saws because I
just knew someday I'd need it . Well , today I needed it . I have some
pocket cuts to make on the support timbers (6x6's)for our new kitchen , and
they need to be pretty precise . Too deep for the circular saw , chainsaw is
no way going to do it , and the recip saw has a tendency to wander on deep
cuts ... so today I tuned up a crosscut and a rip hand saw . Reset the teeth
and sharpened them with a tricorner file and now we're cookin' . I'll likely
use the smallest chainsaw to rough the pocket in , cutting a quarter inch
long of the mark so I'll only have a sliver to trim off .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.
--
Snag

When I notch beams into columns I clamp the beam to the column, clamp
blocks of scrap 2x4 above and below it, remove the beam and guide a
thin Japanese type pull saw in along the 2x4. This puts the saw kerf
within the mortice space. Then I hog out enough with a chainsaw to
make chiseling the rest easy. Typically the fit is close enough to
pound together with my fist.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I useta have a nice Japanese (originally from Japan!) pull saw . Then one
of my coworkers decided it would work good to cut off some protruding nails
.... and he knew damn well what was going to happen . Let's just say he
wasn't my friend - and he did this while I was not there .
These are open at the top , I'm cutting a ledge to support the beams and
leaving a vertical tongue to bolt to . Other side will get a plate of 11 ga
held with bolts thru the tongue/beam/plate and lags below the beam into the
post.
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 15:51:49 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Several years ago , while browsing in one of the tourist trap secondhand
stores here , I bought a saw tooth setting device for hand saws because I
just knew someday I'd need it . Well , today I needed it . I have some
pocket cuts to make on the support timbers (6x6's)for our new kitchen , and
they need to be pretty precise . Too deep for the circular saw , chainsaw is
no way going to do it , and the recip saw has a tendency to wander on deep
cuts ... so today I tuned up a crosscut and a rip hand saw . Reset the teeth
and sharpened them with a tricorner file and now we're cookin' . I'll likely
use the smallest chainsaw to rough the pocket in , cutting a quarter inch
long of the mark so I'll only have a sliver to trim off .

Excellent. Saw sets work well and easily, making the saw work much
more easily for you. Ditto files.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 17:24:55 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Did you show him how to rivet his nuts together the next time you saw
him?

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

That would have had ne branded as a racist ...

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

In cases like that..I prefer brazing the nuts with a good torch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Too bad you couldn't prove it was racism the other direction. But, as
we all know (from themselves, the media, and the politicians) people
of color can't be racist. sigh

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Too much red flux gets in the way. No, multiple hammer swings while
the nuttee is watching is much more refreshing, I think.

It's all about fairness. Some old book mentioned "an eye for an eye."