Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Someday is here !

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 21:28:01 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 17:24:55 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Several years ago , while browsing in one of the tourist trap
secondhand stores here , I bought a saw tooth setting device for
hand saws because I just knew someday I'd need it . Well , today I
needed it . I have some pocket cuts to make on the support timbers
(6x6's)for our new kitchen , and they need to be pretty precise .
Too deep for the circular saw , chainsaw is no way going to do it ,
and the recip saw has a tendency to wander on deep cuts ... so today
I tuned up a crosscut and a rip hand saw . Reset the teeth and
sharpened them with a tricorner file and now we're cookin' . I'll
likely use the smallest chainsaw to rough the pocket in , cutting a
quarter inch long of the mark so I'll only have a sliver to trim off
.
--
Snag

When I notch beams into columns I clamp the beam to the column, clamp
blocks of scrap 2x4 above and below it, remove the beam and guide a
thin Japanese type pull saw in along the 2x4. This puts the saw kerf
within the mortice space. Then I hog out enough with a chainsaw to
make chiseling the rest easy. Typically the fit is close enough to
pound together with my fist.

--jsw

I useta have a nice Japanese (originally from Japan!) pull saw . Then one
of my coworkers decided it would work good to cut off some protruding nails
... and he knew damn well what was going to happen . Let's just say he
wasn't my friend - and he did this while I was not there .

Did you show him how to rivet his nuts together the next time you saw
him?

In cases like that..I prefer brazing the nuts with a good torch.