Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1984 Mercedes 500 SEL 88,000 miles

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 2:41:03 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

Because generally they are overpriced overengineered and underbuilt
pains in the tush. Their quality/price ratio is way lower than even
the Koreans.. About on a par with British cars.

Yes generically, but thanks to so much foreign currency moving in and about the auto markets, you can't actually tell what multi-national owns what auto manufacturer. For instance, how long as BMW in Bavaria had the most ownership of Rolls Royce in Britain? Or how long as Ford owned Volvo? Fiat Chrysler, etc.. ??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 07:14:07 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

What happens to 2.3l engines?

--jsw

Going down a long gentle grade the back bumper catches up with the
fan
because it can't get out of it's own way - - -

In the first 3 gears around town it has more acceleration than most
people use at traffic lights, thanks to the 4.10 rear end. I bought it
to commute to work in 0 - 50 MPH heavy traffic on poorly plowed MA
roads, for which it's all I needed. On weekends it hauled firewood
over trails too narrow for larger vehicles.

Unlike the rest of the Granite State the southern edge is mostly
highly developed flat glacial flood plain. Its 100HP isn't a
limitation on our congested roads and it still does 75 on a level
highway, if I can find a gap in traffic to try it. I have to wait at a
rural gas station near a light that breaks up the flow. At 50 - 60 it
gives 28MPG on a long trip, around 24 commuting. If I still lived
further north with less traffic and more hills or towed a boat it
would be too feeble.
--jsw

My 4.0 has 3.55 gears and manual trans - replaced the tiny 14" tires
with 225-70 16 inchers for the summer and 235-70 for the winter.. It
doesn't take a 1 mile run-up to pass a car doing 5 mph slower than me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 04:53:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

What happens to 2.3l engines?

--jsw

Going down a long gentle grade the back bumper catches up with the fan
because it can't get out of it's own way - - -

ROFLMAO!!!

Pytor drives a 2.3l as I recall..and it was reliable, just didnt have
a lot of power as I recall...but it got him from Oregon to my place in
California a couple years ago well enough. Hey Pete..what is your
take on the Ranger with the 2.3?

Gunner

The 2.3 was a pretty durable little engine - that is true.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/13/2016 6:18 PM, Ignoramus27049 wrote:
Some auction has a car for sale, a 1984 Mercedes 500 SEL 88.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mercedes.jpg

It looks decent and seems to have spent most of its life in a garage.

My question is, is it possible to expect any kind of raliability froma
car of that age? A lot of rubber components etc would ave dried
out. Any thoughts?

Go to a auto parts store and price out some common components like
rotors, starters, exhaust, ignition computers, ect.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:40:34 -0500, Ignoramus4339
wrote:

This is awesome.

But I have a question, how come that C60 has not yet rusted out?

Much of America doesnt get snow/salt laid down winter after winter and
has minumal rainfall.

The Model T and 20s-30s vintage vehicles are quite common around my
part of California. Buddy of mine drives a 58 Belair (spelling?)
station wagon to work every day. The window glass has turned
green..but its original and virtually untouched. He has done the
engine 3 times in the 40 yrs he has owned it..they arent lke todays
engines..they do fail semiregularly. I think he is up to 20 over on
the cylinders..so he will probably be in a nursing home before it
needs another bore.

Out here..they get crashed and totalled long before they are "worn
out"...and they never rust out unless they are parked less than 10
miles from the ocean for long periods of time.

Gunner

I tried to remove the door hinge pins on a '54 Lincoln that had been sitting
near the beach for 10 years ... tried .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-16, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/13/2016 6:18 PM, Ignoramus27049 wrote:
Some auction has a car for sale, a 1984 Mercedes 500 SEL 88.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mercedes.jpg

It looks decent and seems to have spent most of its life in a garage.

My question is, is it possible to expect any kind of raliability froma
car of that age? A lot of rubber components etc would ave dried
out. Any thoughts?

Go to a auto parts store and price out some common components like
rotors, starters, exhaust, ignition computers, ect.

I saw the POS today and thought, oh my god, what a lucky man I am
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-16, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/13/2016 6:18 PM, Ignoramus27049 wrote:
Some auction has a car for sale, a 1984 Mercedes 500 SEL 88.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mercedes.jpg

It looks decent and seems to have spent most of its life in a garage.

My question is, is it possible to expect any kind of raliability froma
car of that age? A lot of rubber components etc would ave dried
out. Any thoughts?

Go to a auto parts store and price out some common components like
rotors, starters, exhaust, ignition computers, ect.

I saw the POS today and thought, oh my god, what a lucky man I am

Dodging bullets has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-16, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/13/2016 6:18 PM, Ignoramus27049 wrote:
Some auction has a car for sale, a 1984 Mercedes 500 SEL 88.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mercedes.jpg

It looks decent and seems to have spent most of its life in a garage.

My question is, is it possible to expect any kind of raliability froma
car of that age? A lot of rubber components etc would ave dried
out. Any thoughts?

Go to a auto parts store and price out some common components like
rotors, starters, exhaust, ignition computers, ect.

I saw the POS today and thought, oh my god, what a lucky man I am

Dodging bullets has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment.

2 points, Tawm. g

--
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at
a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-16, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/13/2016 6:18 PM, Ignoramus27049 wrote:
Some auction has a car for sale, a 1984 Mercedes 500 SEL 88.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/mercedes.jpg

It looks decent and seems to have spent most of its life in a garage.

My question is, is it possible to expect any kind of raliability froma
car of that age? A lot of rubber components etc would ave dried
out. Any thoughts?

Go to a auto parts store and price out some common components like
rotors, starters, exhaust, ignition computers, ect.

I saw the POS today and thought, oh my god, what a lucky man I am

Dodging bullets has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment.

2 points, Tawm. g

If he had bougnt the thing he would have needed the right to "bare
arms" to get to half of what required repairs without getting his
shirt-sleaves caught.

Pinzgauer/Mercedes MOG differences Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 1 February 4th 13 09:23 PM
1984 is here [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 24th 10 02:58 AM
1984 is here Jeff Thies Home Repair 0 December 22nd 10 01:44 PM
Help with Mercedes Part identification BoborAnn Electronics Repair 4 August 10th 05 01:25 AM
OT Mercedes Bonnet [email protected] UK diy 11 April 8th 05 11:50 AM