Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF stapler , a bit off topic

I am recovering some bar stools. The original Naugahyde is shredding. But I found some replacement at an estate sale. To get a nice job it takes a zillion staples. Taking the existing staples out is a PITA. No good solutions for doing that. But for stapling in the new material , I am going to use a HF pneumatic stapler.

The model I am bought is 61619. The reviews on it are positive. The two nits that I have is that after you screw in the quick disconnect coupler , it will not fit back in the box. And the other thing is that the only place I can find the type of staples it uses is on the detail on the HF web site.. It used T50 staples.

Well one more nit. HF sell staples for the staple gun. But they want $3.99 for 1000 staples at my local HF store. Not the sort of price I expect at HF. So I went to the close by Walmart and bought some Stanley T50 staples at $3.22 for 1500 staples.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:37:03 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

[...]

Doesn't sound off topic to me. It shoots metal staples right ;-)

I have a couple of older Arrow T50 Guns. They have always done the job
for me. On the few occasions I found a particularly hard spot in some
wood I just finish off with a few taps of the hammer...

You can get stainless steel staples too, if you didn't already know.
For instance:

http://www.amazon.com/T-50-16-Stainl...dp/B008AXYGT0/

They are a bit pricey but for something like what you're working on
might be worth while. Rusty staples are a bit annoying even if they are
normally out of sight...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

Taking the existing staples out is a PITA. No good solutions for doing that.

Forgot to mention... One of these Crescent Tools nail pullers might help
with getting the old staples out:

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-NP11-...dp/B008NM6VAA/

I've looked at them in the store and read reviews... I want one but
have no immediate need for one. So I'll just bide my time until I see
one at a price I can't resist

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 2:14:05 PM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:

Forgot to mention... One of these Crescent Tools nail pullers might help
with getting the old staples out: On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:37:03 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

Taking the existing staples out is a PITA. No good solutions for doing that.

Forgot to mention... One of these Crescent Tools nail pullers might help
with getting the old staples out:
Forgot to mention... One of these Crescent Tools nail pullers might help
with getting the old staples out:

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-NP11-...dp/B008NM6VAA/

I've looked at them in the store and read reviews... I want one but
have no immediate need for one. So I'll just bide my time until I see
one at a price I can't resist

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

I have been using an ice pick to get under the staple and get it so it is not flush. After that some long nose pliers to pull the staple out. Some times the staple will break into two pieces when I am trying to get it up a bit with the ice pick. Just a pain because it takes two operations. I am not convinced that the nail puller would be faster. The staples are flush with the plywood. So something sharp like the ice pick in needed to get the staple up where it can be grabbed.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I forgot to mention that the stapler is on sale for $21.xx and they had a 25% off coupon that brought the price to $16.49.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

[...]

And monel, although you wouldn't need those on a bar stool. Used them
on a drive-on boat trailer for salt water.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:53:11 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

snip
I have been using an ice pick to get under the staple and
get it so it is not flush. After that some long nose pliers
to pull the staple out. Some times the staple will break
into two pieces when I am trying to get it up a bit with
the ice pick. Just a pain because it takes two operations.
I am not convinced that the nail puller would be faster.
The staples are flush with the plywood. So something sharp
like the ice pick in needed to get the staple up where it
can be grabbed.

I use an old medium bladed screwdriver in place of your ice pick. The
tip is way too thin/worn to be much good as a screwdriver anymore. I
can work it under the middle of a staple and then creep it out to the
edges. Then I can get a good grip on the staple with pliers. Usually a
large plier, one big enough that the jaws are wider than the staple
work best. That way they grip both sides of the staple and I usually
get the whole staple out without it breaking into pieces. Note the
_usually_

A large pair of diagonal cutters can be a big help in gripping broken
pieces and working them out too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b