Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, Downspout drainage and pop up emitters..

I am trenching 4 inch pipe from my down spots away from my house. I am debating on whether the pipe should end above ground or use one of those pop up elbows.

Does one way seem better than another? My worry with just exiting on top of the ground is possible freezing in winter. I live in KY, so it is not like Canada or anything but it does freeze.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I am trenching 4 inch pipe from my down spots away from my house. I am
debating on whether the pipe should end above ground or use one of those
pop up elbows.

Does one way seem better than another? My worry with just exiting on top
of the ground is possible freezing in winter. I live in KY, so it is not
like Canada or anything but it does freeze.

Thanks!

Freezing won't do horrible things to 4" corrugated pipe, like it might to a
PVC water pipe system. I have a number of these buried 4" corrugated drains
and have never had a problem with them. The water flows away down the slope
and doesn't create much ice. I'm in St. Louis.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 6:26:34 AM UTC-7, stryped wrote:
I am trenching 4 inch pipe from my down spots away from my house. I am debating on whether the pipe should end above ground or use one of those pop up elbows.

I used a pop-up, and it has been no trouble. Lawnmower just goes overtop.
There was a big rain/hailstorm a few years back, and the thing actually grew a small
hill of pellets.

There's some cleanout required, silt builds up after a few years. I just reach
a hand in and scoop out the muck (the popup lid and flange are friction-fit,
not cemented, so they pull off).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote in
:

I am trenching 4 inch pipe from my down spots away from my
house. I am debating on whether the pipe should end above ground
or use one of those pop up elbows.

Does one way seem better than another? My worry with just
exiting on top of the ground is possible freezing in winter. I
live in KY, so it is not like Canada or anything but it does
freeze.

I live a hundred miles or so north of you (Indianapolis). Three of my downspouts drain into
underground drains leading to drywells, three into underground drains which empty into a
ditch, and three empty above ground 6' or so from the foundation.

Even when it rains in the winter -- a frequent occurrence here -- the water drains away rapidly
enough that we've never had a freeze problem. I should think that in Kentucky you'd be just
fine with surface drainage, no need for a popup.