Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Downspout Installation ?

I am having a re-roof done including new gutters and downspouts. The gutter
guy came out yesterday and installed the gutters and downspouts.

Some of the downspouts are not perpendicular. If I measure the distance in
from the end of the house to the downspout, I get 7 inches at the top of the
downspout and about 6 in at the bottom of the downspout, so about an inch
difference, from a distance this is noticeable to the eye. This is a single
story Ranch style home, so the downspouts are about 7 feet long.

In other spots the distance is 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

Besides visually not being straight is there any disadvantage?

Screws into plastic anchors into the stucco hold the downspout straps in.

Am I being anal? Should I just reposition them myself, or call the roofing
company?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Tube Audio wrote:
I am having a re-roof done including new gutters and downspouts. The gutter
guy came out yesterday and installed the gutters and downspouts.

Some of the downspouts are not perpendicular. If I measure the distance in
from the end of the house to the downspout, I get 7 inches at the top of the
downspout and about 6 in at the bottom of the downspout, so about an inch
difference, from a distance this is noticeable to the eye. This is a single
story Ranch style home, so the downspouts are about 7 feet long.

In other spots the distance is 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

Besides visually not being straight is there any disadvantage?

Screws into plastic anchors into the stucco hold the downspout straps in.

Am I being anal? Should I just reposition them myself, or call the roofing
company?

You paid them. Makes one wonder about the quality of the rest of the
job. They do not seem to care about the quality of their work.

Lou
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

These gutter guys promise the moon.........
I have seen installations and now that it is in........too late.....
The reason they did that was for ease of construction......
Less bends......and also maybe less places for debris to hang up.
If it is a cosmetic repair.........and the worry about debris is not an
aspect
I would ask them to hug it to the wall......
They use glue for sealing gutters.......some of the gutters were standing
water...
The gutters are easily dinged or damaged......
They are seamless, and look nice from a distance, and lots less problems
than plastic.
It is a toss up.
good luck
jloomis
"Tube Audio" wrote in message
I am having a re-roof done including new gutters and downspouts. The
gutter guy came out yesterday and installed the gutters and downspouts.

Some of the downspouts are not perpendicular. If I measure the distance
in from the end of the house to the downspout, I get 7 inches at the top
of the downspout and about 6 in at the bottom of the downspout, so about
an inch difference, from a distance this is noticeable to the eye. This
is a single story Ranch style home, so the downspouts are about 7 feet
long.

In other spots the distance is 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

Besides visually not being straight is there any disadvantage?

Screws into plastic anchors into the stucco hold the downspout straps in.

Am I being anal? Should I just reposition them myself, or call the
roofing company?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Tube Audio" wrote in message
I am having a re-roof done including new gutters and downspouts. The
gutter guy came out yesterday and installed the gutters and downspouts.

Some of the downspouts are not perpendicular. If I measure the distance
in from the end of the house to the downspout, I get 7 inches at the top
of the downspout and about 6 in at the bottom of the downspout, so about
an inch difference, from a distance this is noticeable to the eye. This
is a single story Ranch style home, so the downspouts are about 7 feet
long.

In other spots the distance is 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

Besides visually not being straight is there any disadvantage?

Screws into plastic anchors into the stucco hold the downspout straps in.

Am I being anal? Should I just reposition them myself, or call the
roofing company?

They may have installed them plumb and it's your walls which are off. I
personally would have them follow the walls a bit closer but I think what
you have is not unusual and I would not worry about it. A lot of houses are
not very straight, level, square, or plumb and nobody ever notices.

Don Young

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Tube Audio" wrote in message
I am having a re-roof done including new gutters and downspouts. The
gutter guy came out yesterday and installed the gutters and downspouts.

Some of the downspouts are not perpendicular. If I measure the distance
in from the end of the house to the downspout, I get 7 inches at the top
of the downspout and about 6 in at the bottom of the downspout, so about
an inch difference, from a distance this is noticeable to the eye. This
is a single story Ranch style home, so the downspouts are about 7 feet
long.

In other spots the distance is 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

Besides visually not being straight is there any disadvantage?

Screws into plastic anchors into the stucco hold the downspout straps in.

Am I being anal? Should I just reposition them myself, or call the
roofing company?

Minor angularity should not functionally affect the water flow of the
downspout. Though, its not terribly difficult to maintain a downspout
parallel with the average house. Where they chose to connect the downspout
with the house can cause problems with parallelism, considering brackets
available to them.

More importantly, the downspout should be pointed away from the house at its
termination. A splashblock should be used to minimize soil erosion. All
water should flow away from the house. Never settle near or at its
foundation.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 6:49 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
I am having a re-roof done including new gutters and downspouts. The gutter
guy came out yesterday and installed the gutters and downspouts.

Some of the downspouts are not perpendicular. If I measure the distance in
from the end of the house to the downspout, I get 7 inches at the top of the
downspout and about 6 in at the bottom of the downspout, so about an inch
difference, from a distance this is noticeable to the eye. This is a single
story Ranch style home, so the downspouts are about 7 feet long.

In other spots the distance is 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

Besides visually not being straight is there any disadvantage?

Screws into plastic anchors into the stucco hold the downspout straps in.

Am I being anal? Should I just reposition them myself, or call the roofing
company?

Since you checked it out after the roofer left, you could ask him to
redo the job to your satisfaction now, including a much smaller extra
payment.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

There may be an advantage to having the downspout slightly out of vertical.
I deliberately added some slope to one of my downspouts in my old house
because it made a loud dripping moise anytime there was even the slightest
rain. It was loud and it lasted for hours and it was right beside my
bedroom window. A bit of slope helped the water run along the walls of the
downspout rather than freefall. The noise stopped.

Perhaps your contractor used a small amount of slope for a similar reason.
I think it may be good practice to not install downstops perfectly vertical
because it avoids noisy dripping.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Reno wrote:
Perhaps your contractor used a small amount of slope for a similar reason.
I think it may be good practice to not install downstops perfectly vertical
because it avoids noisy dripping.

More than likely the contractor wasn't that prescient but simply not
careful in measuring.

One can eliminate the problem noted and still have the visual symmetry
of the downspouts being parallel to the corners by hanging a light chain
or other item down the spout if there is a drip problem such as you have.

How do you cut aluminum downspout? Dan_Musicant Home Repair 30 September 1st 16 08:50 PM
Downspout Noise, how to get rid of? Scott Townsend Home Repair 9 April 7th 08 04:39 PM
downspout flooding Bob Home Repair 4 November 13th 06 01:04 PM
downspout question SeaKan Home Repair 2 July 28th 06 12:56 AM
Clogged Downspout [email protected] Home Ownership 5 November 13th 05 02:19 AM