Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gravel in Downspout

We have a poorly designed downspout that has a 12-inch horizontal section
that begins about 8-inches down from the roof; the 12-inch section appears
to be welded at both ends We've noticed rainwater backing up onto the roof,
and discovered that roof gravel has collected in the horizontal section over
the years. Tried washing it down with a hose, but that didn't work.

I'm considering drilling a hole in the horizontal section (sort of a
cleanout) so I can push the gravel down through the primary long vertical
section. I need to then cap the hole, but want to keep it accessible.

Can anyone suggest something to use for a removable cap? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott J" wrote in message ...

We have a poorly designed downspout that has a 12-inch horizontal section
that begins about 8-inches down from the roof; the 12-inch section appears
to be welded at both ends We've noticed rainwater backing up onto the roof,
and discovered that roof gravel has collected in the horizontal section over
the years. Tried washing it down with a hose, but that didn't work.

I'm considering drilling a hole in the horizontal section (sort of a
cleanout) so I can push the gravel down through the primary long vertical
section. I need to then cap the hole, but want to keep it accessible.

Can anyone suggest something to use for a removable cap? Thanks.

Here you go. Google Expandable rubber plug. Lots show up. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2012 8:46 AM, Scott J wrote:
We have a poorly designed downspout that has a 12-inch horizontal section
that begins about 8-inches down from the roof; the 12-inch section appears
to be welded at both ends We've noticed rainwater backing up onto the roof,
and discovered that roof gravel has collected in the horizontal section over
the years. Tried washing it down with a hose, but that didn't work.

I'm considering drilling a hole in the horizontal section (sort of a
cleanout) so I can push the gravel down through the primary long vertical
section. I need to then cap the hole, but want to keep it accessible.

Can anyone suggest something to use for a removable cap? Thanks.

I'd try roto-rooting it first to break up the gravel. Probably stuck
together with dirt and leaves. Once clear, the gravel should stop
collecting and a wire cap on the top to keep leaves out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 7:51*am, "WW" wrote:
"Scott J" *wrote in ...

We have a poorly designed downspout that has a 12-inch horizontal section
that begins about 8-inches down from the roof; the 12-inch section appears
to be welded at both ends *We've noticed rainwater backing up onto the roof,
and discovered that roof gravel has collected in the horizontal section over
the years. *Tried washing it down with *a hose, but that didn't work.

I'm considering drilling a hole in the horizontal section (sort of a
cleanout) so I can push the gravel down through the primary long vertical
section. *I need to then cap the hole, but want to keep it accessible.

Can anyone suggest something to use for a removable cap? *Thanks.

Here you go. Google * Expandable rubber plug. *Lots show up. WW

If you can get up high enough to drill a hole and then fill it, you
chould be able to use a coathanger wire or similar to put it down the
frain opening and wiggle it while applying water pressure from the
backup in the gutter. It wil be messy, but necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott J wrote:
We have a poorly designed downspout that has a 12-inch horizontal
section that begins about 8-inches down from the roof; the 12-inch
section appears to be welded at both ends We've noticed rainwater
backing up onto the roof, and discovered that roof gravel has
collected in the horizontal section over the years. Tried washing it
down with a hose, but that didn't work.
I'm considering drilling a hole in the horizontal section (sort of a
cleanout) so I can push the gravel down through the primary long
vertical section. I need to then cap the hole, but want to keep it
accessible.
Can anyone suggest something to use for a removable cap? Thanks.

Re-bend the "L"s on each side of the flat stetch so it's no longer flat. Than
cut off the bottom of the spout to the needed length.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 8:51*am, "WW" wrote:
"Scott J" *wrote in ...

We have a poorly designed downspout that has a 12-inch horizontal section
that begins about 8-inches down from the roof; the 12-inch section appears
to be welded at both ends *We've noticed rainwater backing up onto the roof,
and discovered that roof gravel has collected in the horizontal section over
the years. *Tried washing it down with *a hose, but that didn't work.

I'm considering drilling a hole in the horizontal section (sort of a
cleanout) so I can push the gravel down through the primary long vertical
section. *I need to then cap the hole, but want to keep it accessible.

Can anyone suggest something to use for a removable cap? *Thanks.

Here you go. Google * Expandable rubber plug. *Lots show up. WW

A piece of properly sized hardware cloth which will
prevent the roof gravel from passing through which
has been cut and properly shaped to fit snugly into
the drain pipe...

How do you cut aluminum downspout? Dan_Musicant Home Repair 30 September 1st 16 08:50 PM
Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 27 May 11th 16 12:44 AM
Can't figure out where the downspout goes? Mikepier Home Repair 11 March 29th 10 12:22 PM
downspout flooding Bob Home Repair 4 November 13th 06 01:04 PM
downspout question SeaKan Home Repair 2 July 28th 06 12:56 AM