Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is "battery desulphation" a scam?

As I have a number of vehicles and machines with batteries, I often
deal with batteries in poor condition.

There is a theme out there that old batteries in poor condition can be
"desulphated".

Apparently, the logic behind this is as follows: as a battery is
discharged normally, lead sulphates form due to galvanic action and
producing electricity. This is normal. As the battery is charged back,
those sulphates are converted back to lead.

If the battery is poorly maintained, (discharged and not recharged),
those lead sulphates allegedly form "bad crystals", which are not
broken up by charging. So, the battery is degraded.

There are products out there called "desulphators", which supposedly
break up those "bad crystals" and convert them back into battery lead.

Information about them, as well as numerous forum discussions, shows
some extreme ignorance, lack of scientific validation, as well as
claims that are not supported by evidence.

I tried to find some tests, like taking two more or less identical
batteries, and comparing results of charging one regularly vs.
applying "desuphation" to another and comparing.

Nothing like that seems to be shown. Instead, there is hoopla and
nonsense, people experimenting with garbage batteries without any
valid "controls" or even valid testing methods.

As this is a vital question for me, due to the amount of batteries I
have to deal with, I wanted to know if anyone has researched this
issue.

My question is

1) Does "desulphation" increase CCA
2) Does it increase reserve amp-hour capacity?

We have a company out here (Battery Sales) that takes old battery
cores, does whatever electrical magic, and sells "reconditioned"
batteries in exchange for cores. The general conclusion from their own
salespeople is that their "reconditioned" batteries are good for
equipment that you want to sell right away, but it is not even close
to getting a new battery.

I used them for a while and saw their facility.

So... For poor condition batteries, can at least some of them be
somewhat spruced up?

Has Anyone here tested "desulphation" equipment?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9943 fired this volley in
:

So... For poor condition batteries, can at least some of them be
somewhat spruced up?

Has Anyone here tested "desulphation" equipment?

SOME of them can be brought up SOME in capacity. Few, actually.

I built a rig to apply a de-sulfurizing charge (with high-frequency
pulses), just for the interest in the claims. I tried it on some golf
cart batteries that were all dead, and had not taken a proper charge in
some weeks.

Two of twelve of them came back up to about 30% of original capacity.
The rest did not rejuvinate at all.

Then I tried some of the mouse-milk cures, including also trying
magnesium sulfate on my own. Same deal... none of the batteries that did
not rejuvinate with the charger would improve with the 'magic potion",
and the ones that did improve improved some more, to about 35-40% of
original capacity.

It's a goofball scam. 'Doesn't work.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

What about batteries that are not dead, just degraded?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Lloyd, I forgot to say thank you in my previous reply.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 5:34:57 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus9943 wrote:

Has Anyone here tested "desulphation" equipment?

No data on desulphering. But will say I am a believer in having a float changer on batteries that do not get used often. Like a battery in a lawn tractor that is not used from say Oct to March.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9943 fired this volley in
:

What about batteries that are not dead, just degraded?

Never tried any.
It's not all that complex a circuit for a guy like you to build and try!

The magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) "cure" is at your local drugstore.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I also thank you for the info! Do you have any thoughts on battery
rebuilding?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 16:34:55 -0500, Ignoramus9943
wrote:

[...]

Nothing will restore a totally sulphated battery, but some
"desulphaters" can drive some of the sulphate out of the plates of a
moderately degraded battery and restore it to very close to original
CCA and capacity.

We have a company out here (Battery Sales) that takes old battery
cores, does whatever electrical magic, and sells "reconditioned"
batteries in exchange for cores. The general conclusion from their own
salespeople is that their "reconditioned" batteries are good for
equipment that you want to sell right away, but it is not even close
to getting a new battery.

I used them for a while and saw their facility.

So... For poor condition batteries, can at least some of them be
somewhat spruced up?

Yes.

Has Anyone here tested "desulphation" equipment?

I have a battery charger/tester/rejuvinator that has a "desulphation"
mode - and it HAS improved some batteries. Some by only a small
amount, and a few dramatically.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 19:11:47 -0400, Tom Gardner

[...]

"battery rebuilding" in many cases just involves removing shed plate
material from the well at the bottom of the battery to eliminate
inter-plate shorts resulting from the shed material bridging the
plates. This makes the battery functional, but does not restore lost
capacity.

Sometimes it involves removing bad cells, and replacing them with good
cells from another battery.

Sometimes it just involves rewelding a bad inter-cell connection.

Depends what is wrong with the battery. Back in the day of rubber
battery boxes and pitch tops, it was not a terribly difficult process.

Opening s sealed poly battery case is a bit more involved.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks, this is what I wanted to know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9943" wrote in message
[...]

I've had some limited success by applying enough voltage to make a few
hundred milliamps flow and leaving it on for hours or days.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._to_prevent_it
" If a battery is serviced early, reversible sulfation can often be
corrected by applying an overcharge to a fully charged battery in the
form of a regulated current of about 200mA. The battery terminal
voltage is allowed to rise to between 2.50 and 2.66V/cell (15 and 16V
on a 12V mono block) for about 24 hours. Increasing the battery
temperature to 50-60°C (122-140°F) further helps in dissolving the
crystals."

I use either an adjustable current-limited lab supply or a home-made
LM317 regulator with a voltage + current meter to show me what's
happening.

I just ordered one of these to build into a 3A LM350T charger that I
can run off my solar panels.
http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Digital-0...108428&sr=1-53

The initial voltage needed to force current into a sulfated battery
might be 15 - 16V at 100mA or less. As desulphation proceeds the
current rises. I limit the current (or reduce the voltage) to the
manufacturer's suggestion if I can find it. Flooded batteries with
filler caps can be checked and topped up, at first only enough to
cover any exposed plates since the level rises as the battery charges.
Usually I find that only one cell is bad, since that's enough to make
the battery fail. The other cells may need makeup water due to the
overcharging necessary to salvage the bad one.

Sealed batteries are more easily damaged if the charging current
generates hydrogen faster than it can recombine. Check the specs.

When it works I can get several more years of service from a 'dead'
battery that a standard automatic charger won't touch.

Equalizing batteries every few months by charging them until all cells
bubble freely seems to ward off sulfation, for example the battery in
my truck which was installed in early 2002. The battery currently
working fine in my tractor was being thrown away as dead.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/faq/

My guess about the pulse desulfators is that that the pulse circuit
provides an automatically limited amount of charge energy at enough
voltage to break through the sulfation. The pulser doesn't let the
current rise too high and overheat the battery as the required voltage
decreases, a possible problem with my method if you don't have a good
DC current control such as on a lab supply. Also I have to match my
supply settings to the battery type and size, keep an informed eye on
the progress and don't leave it unattended overnight.

These are a reasonably good deal on a fairly hefty lab type variable
power supply with an adjustable current limit:
http://www.amazon.com/Volteq-Regulat.../dp/B00OBSN2KW
I have a similar one with a different name.

They sell higher current models but in my experience desulfation and
equalization require no more than about 1 - 2 amps, or 1% ~2% of the
battery's Amp-Hour capacity. That experience extends to only Group 31
105A-H marine batteries, not forklift sizes.

I usually put a 10A or 15A Schottky diode in series to protect the
supply from being back fed from the battery if the AC power goes out.

This gives some electrical parameters for battery recovery:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/f...30-0010-03.pdf
"The OptiMate's unique automatic desulfation mode works like this :
Once the OptiMate
determines that the battery is sulfated it applies a voltage of up to
about 20V at a controlled low
current for a maximum period of 2 hours, to recover the battery to the
extent that it can again
accept a charge using the more normal charging algorithm."

Other references say to apply the current-limited high voltage for up
to a week before giving up on the battery.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The answer to both is "probably", if only because sulphation decreases
the efficiency of the battery and cleaning it off would cause the
reverse.

We have a company out here (Battery Sales) that takes old battery
cores, does whatever electrical magic, and sells "reconditioned"
batteries in exchange for cores. The general conclusion from their own
salespeople is that their "reconditioned" batteries are good for
equipment that you want to sell right away, but it is not even close
to getting a new battery.

I used them for a while and saw their facility.

So... For poor condition batteries, can at least some of them be
somewhat spruced up?

Has Anyone here tested "desulphation" equipment?

I've known people who bought refurb batteries, but they didn't seem to
last very long or be very strong. Having considered it and found that
I didn't like the results, I'd recommend against that purchase, Ig.

Silk purse/sow's ear, y'know?

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 18:08:30 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus9943 fired this volley in
:

What about batteries that are not dead, just degraded?

Never tried any.
It's not all that complex a circuit for a guy like you to build and try!

The magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) "cure" is at your local drugstore.

As a business, he'd also likely have to get hazardous material
disposal equipment, licensing, and regulation. Sounds fun, huh?

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Has Anyone here tested "desulphation" equipment?

Yes. Extensively.

It works. But! The battery must be used. That is, charged and
discharged. One that is allowed to sit, even fully charged will
revert to its hard sulfated condition.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 10:10:53 PM UTC-4, Neon John wrote:

Yes. Extensively.

It works. But! The battery must be used. That is, charged and
discharged. One that is allowed to sit, even fully charged will
revert to its hard sulfated condition.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

What if the battery is put on a float charger? I am under the impression that having a battery on a float charger will keep it from becoming sulfated.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in
:

What if the battery is put on a float charger? I am under the
impression that having a battery on a float charger will keep it from
becoming sulfated.

That certainly helps.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have an 'electronic' battery charger - love and hate with it...
it has a desulphator cycle on it. It uses an AC mode. Charge /
discharge. back and forth. Converting the native sulfur into acid.

I bought it from Sears a half dozen years ago. I still like a brute
force charger when the battery gets poor. The electronic ones give up.

Martin

On 9/19/2015 4:34 PM, Ignoramus9943 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 19:52:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 10:10:53 PM UTC-4, Neon John wrote:

Yes. Extensively.

It works. But! The battery must be used. That is, charged and
discharged. One that is allowed to sit, even fully charged will
revert to its hard sulfated condition.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

What if the battery is put on a float charger? I am under the impression that having a battery on a float charger will keep it from becoming sulfated.

Dan

Keeping a battery on a float charger MAY boil the battery dry. What
you need is a "battery tender"

Keeping a battery fully charged at all times WILL eliminate sulphation
as a fully charged battery plates are lead and lead oxide - all the
sulphate ions are in the sulphuric acid. In a dead battery, the one
plate is lead sulphate, and the electrolyte is basically water.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Has Anyone here tested "desulphation" equipment?

Yes. Extensively.

It works. But! The battery must be used. That is, charged and
discharged. One that is allowed to sit, even fully charged will
revert to its hard sulfated condition.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

I've been testing the idea, a synthesis of manufacturers' suggestions,
that equalizing old batteries by forcing a charging current of about
1% of the Amp-Hour rating for a few hours every month or so is enough
to preserve them.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...alizing_charge
"Some [VRLA] manufacturers recommend monthly equalizations for 2 to 16
hours."

I should know more after I build an adjustable cutoff disconnect that
allows unattended load testing. A DC-AC inverter running a lamp or
crock pot serves for the test load but its fixed low voltage cutoff
won't fully exercise an old battery whose internal impedance rises
sharply as it discharges. For example the inverter might shut off at
10.5V, then the battery recovers to 12.0V which isn't a complete
discharge. A laptop used as the load may trip the shutoff prematurely
from the briefly higher power draw of writing test data to the hard
drive.

I'd like to have a laptop monitor the discharge and periodically
suspend it to measure the voltage the battery recovers to, with an
adjustable independent shutoff for backup.
https://pssurvival.com/PS/Batteries/...ltage_1993.pdf
"The bottom line is that the internal resistance of all lead-acid
cells changes with the cell's state of charge."

This buck-boost converter is effectively a DC autotransformer that can
output a steady DC voltage from a higher or lower input, for example a
solar panel or a nearly discharged battery.
http://www.amazon.com/DROK-DC-DC-Con...oost+converter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single...ctor_converter

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 10:10:53 PM UTC-4, Neon John wrote:

Yes. Extensively.

It works. But! The battery must be used. That is, charged and
discharged. One that is allowed to sit, even fully charged will
revert to its hard sulfated condition.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

What if the battery is put on a float charger? I am under the
impression that having a battery on a float charger will keep it
from becoming sulfated.

Dan

I've rewired my float chargers to accept an in-line voltage and
current monitor, to see what they really are doing. They work well
enough on newer batteries but don't put out enough voltage to charge
one that is becoming sulfated. Those need a charger that forces a
limited current rather than a voltage. I think pulse desulfators do
that cheaply by discharging the controlled energy from a capacitor
into the battery rather than with the DC current source I prefer
because I can monitor the results. The Optimate battery conditioner I
referenced also uses DC current, supervised by the computer.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I should add that the higher voltage needed to force current into a
sulfated battery would overcharge and dry out a good battery. A
commercial battery tender can't assume the user will pay proper
attention to it. The methods I suggest do require you to check the
meters periodically, understand what they indicate and change settings
as appropriate.

-jsw