Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus9943 Ignoramus9943 is offline

Default Is "battery desulphation" a scam?

On 2015-09-20, wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 16:34:55 -0500, Ignoramus9943
wrote:

As I have a number of vehicles and machines with batteries, I often
deal with batteries in poor condition.

There is a theme out there that old batteries in poor condition can be
"desulphated".

Apparently, the logic behind this is as follows: as a battery is
discharged normally, lead sulphates form due to galvanic action and
producing electricity. This is normal. As the battery is charged back,
those sulphates are converted back to lead.

If the battery is poorly maintained, (discharged and not recharged),
those lead sulphates allegedly form "bad crystals", which are not
broken up by charging. So, the battery is degraded.

There are products out there called "desulphators", which supposedly
break up those "bad crystals" and convert them back into battery lead.

Information about them, as well as numerous forum discussions, shows
some extreme ignorance, lack of scientific validation, as well as
claims that are not supported by evidence.

I tried to find some tests, like taking two more or less identical
batteries, and comparing results of charging one regularly vs.
applying "desuphation" to another and comparing.

Nothing like that seems to be shown. Instead, there is hoopla and
nonsense, people experimenting with garbage batteries without any
valid "controls" or even valid testing methods.

As this is a vital question for me, due to the amount of batteries I
have to deal with, I wanted to know if anyone has researched this
issue.

My question is

1) Does "desulphation" increase CCA
2) Does it increase reserve amp-hour capacity?

Nothing will restore a totally sulphated battery, but some
"desulphaters" can drive some of the sulphate out of the plates of a
moderately degraded battery and restore it to very close to original
CCA and capacity.

We have a company out here (Battery Sales) that takes old battery
cores, does whatever electrical magic, and sells "reconditioned"
batteries in exchange for cores. The general conclusion from their own
salespeople is that their "reconditioned" batteries are good for
equipment that you want to sell right away, but it is not even close
to getting a new battery.

I used them for a while and saw their facility.

So... For poor condition batteries, can at least some of them be
somewhat spruced up?

Yes.

Has Anyone here tested "desulphation" equipment?

I have a battery charger/tester/rejuvinator that has a "desulphation"
mode - and it HAS improved some batteries. Some by only a small
amount, and a few dramatically.

OK, thanks, this is what I wanted to know.