Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Propane tank for forklift

Is it possible and easy to adapt a BBQ type propane tank to use on a
forklift?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
Is it possible and easy to adapt a BBQ type propane tank to use on a
forklift?

Yes, i use the 20# tanks on my fork lift.
I purchased the fittings at airgas, they have
the proper CGA fittings. I also have an adaptor
that allows me to use the disposable 1# cylinders
for those times i run out of gas in the middle of the
night.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-16, Tom Gardner wrote:
Is it possible and easy to adapt a BBQ type propane tank to use on a
forklift?

No.

Forklift propane tanks feed liquid propane fron the bottom of the
tank.

BBQ tanks supply propane vapor from the top of the tank.

Just get a forklift propane tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-16, Tom Gardner wrote:
Is it possible and easy to adapt a BBQ type propane tank to use on a
forklift?

No.

Forklift propane tanks feed liquid propane fron the bottom of the
tank.

BBQ tanks supply propane vapor from the top of the tank.

Just get a forklift propane tank.

I assumed I would have to lay the tank on it's side to get liquid. Is
there something internal in the tank to prevent that?

I did see a tank on Craig's list for $100 half full, and I can probably
borrow one and can always rent one. I just thought it would be
convenient to use a BBQ tank.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-16, Tom Gardner wrote:
Is it possible and easy to adapt a BBQ type propane tank to use on a
forklift?

No.

Forklift propane tanks feed liquid propane fron the bottom of the
tank.

BBQ tanks supply propane vapor from the top of the tank.

Just get a forklift propane tank.

I assumed I would have to lay the tank on it's side to get liquid. Is
there something internal in the tank to prevent that?

Not sure, but when it gets half full you no longer get liquid.

I did see a tank on Craig's list for $100 half full, and I can probably
borrow one and can always rent one. I just thought it would be
convenient to use a BBQ tank.

forklift tanks are not expensive used, and not even expensive new, I
have about 16 of them, all bought used or gotten for nothing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-16, Tom Gardner wrote:
Is it possible and easy to adapt a BBQ type propane tank to use on a
forklift?

No.

Forklift propane tanks feed liquid propane fron the bottom of the
tank.

BBQ tanks supply propane vapor from the top of the tank.

Just get a forklift propane tank.

I assumed I would have to lay the tank on it's side to get liquid. Is
there something internal in the tank to prevent that?

Sure, for the first less-than-half. BUT...

I did see a tank on Craig's list for $100 half full, and I can probably
borrow one and can always rent one. I just thought it would be
convenient to use a BBQ tank.

The "new" federally mandated OPD valves preclude liquid propane from
leaving the BBQ tank. Other than that, yeah, convenient.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The "New" tanks prevent flow if tipped over.

I have a shoulder high (some say 30 gal) tank that is full flow.
I use with my torch or my furnace.

The new 'safety' tanks throttle the flow even when turned full on.
I use them year long outside and found the metal of the valve binds
and prevents opening. I have to wait for summer to verify the full
tank working.

Martin