Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Propane forklift runs rough at idle

I have a Kalmar C50 forklift. It has a impco ca55 carb and impco kb
mixer.

It runs rough at idle.

Here's the description of the problem:

1) Kalmar C50
2) Nissan Engine
3) Impco ca55 carb and impco kb mixer/vaporizer
4) After a day of sitting, it is hard to start
5) Once it starts, it runs rough at idle and often dies when put in
gear without pushing on gas first
6) Generally after I push the gas pedal, it runs strong
7) With gas pedal pushed all the way, if I engage tiltback, the engine
does not die but slows down (proper response).
8) When it starts running rough at idle, it may even die by itself
9) When it starts acting up and run rough, if I press the PRIME button
on the vaporizer, it straightens itself out and runs good for as long
as the prime button is pressed
10) There is proper antifreeze level
11) I tried adjusting idle mixture with idle mixture adjusting screw,
unfortunately result was no different
12) I took out the air filter (which was very dirty), with no change
in idle performance
13) Again, with gas pedal pushed, it hesitates to speed up, but speeds
up and runs very strong.
14) The vaporizer is heating properly with warm antifreeze, with no
frost forming on it.

I am suspecting the vaporizer unit, however I would like to see what
you guys think.

I am specifically interested in a troubleshooting procedure, as
opposed to part swapping. I have a lot of forklifts and want to learn
how to work with propane systems.

I have various pressure gauges that I can hook up.

Any suggestions on where to begin isolating the problem?

Thanks a lot!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 20:15:40 -0600, Ignoramus7467
wrote:

[...]

Iggy..your mixer has a leak in the diaphram. I had nearly identical
issues with my Linde/Baker until I bought kits for the carby and mixer
on Ebay for IRRC..$35 or so total including shipping...and installed
them. Runs well enough now. They are both easy to break down and
refurb with no issues

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gunner, I want to make sure we are on the same page, is the mixer the
carburetor, or the vaporizer where the coolant goes?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My first guess is a vacuum leak (or poor ignition). Failing that,
possibly a problem with the demand regulator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

+1 on the diaphragm - if it isn't a vacuum leak in the intake the
diaphragm on the demand regulator is the most likely problem.
When I had my Propane service licence we were taught the diaphragm on
a vehicle propane regulator MUST be replaced every 5 years.
That was 30 years or more ago, but the design of the things hasn't
changed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The fuel comes from the propane tank and goes to (generally) a disk
shaped object. This is converter/vaporizer/regulator. It then goes
at a reduced pressure to the carburetor/mixer and feeds the engine.

The disk shaped converter/vaporizer/regulator usually..usually has
water hoses running through it. As the engine heats up..hot water runs
through this device and helps warm up the propane...making the
conversion from liquid to gas more efficient. Bigger forklifts will
nearly always have this..many of the smaller forklifts will simply
have the water ports plugged off with no hot water running through
them. In cold climates..best have the hot water feeds or the device
may freeze up. Flowing liquid propane is COLD!

This is a typical converter/vaporizer/regulator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPCO-Forkli...-/121111455830

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPCO-MODEL-...-/281250981423

The Carburetor is often called a mixer..but most folks call them a
simple carburetor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPCO-CA100-...-/181278710019

A typical rebuild kit for the converter/vaporizer/regulator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPCO-STYLE-...-/171021176010

For the carby/mixer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPCO-CT425M...-/170899284638

Typically it will be the converter/vaporizer/regulator that will go
first. Not always of course...but generally. I make it a point to
buy a kit for each and rebuild the converter etc first and then try
it and see if it completely solves the problem. If the client is
willing to pay the extra 150 or so..I rebuild the carby also. And they
generally are. Not having to worry about it again for 10 or more
years makes sense to them

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-12-08, Larry Jaques wrote:
First and foremost, look for vacuum leaks*. That is the usual cause of
no response from the idle mixture screw.

OK, great, that vacuum leak, where would it occur? In the hose or in
the diaphragm of the carburetor? Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, guys, thanks. I am getting rebuild kits for both the Impco
Series K vaporizer, as well as the Impco CA55 carburetor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Right

[...]

Gunner, thanks. I will rebuild both the vaporizer, as well as the
carb.

This is actually an older, but very good forklift, it has a very high
lift.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 08:01:49 -0800, Larry Jaques

wrote:

[...]

Good post, mon. Saved for later reference.

Typically it will be the converter/vaporizer/regulator that will go
first. Not always of course...but generally. I make it a point to
buy a kit for each and rebuild the converter etc first and then try
it and see if it completely solves the problem. If the client is
willing to pay the extra 150 or so..I rebuild the carby also. And they
generally are. Not having to worry about it again for 10 or more
years makes sense to them

The way it looked to me, the regulator takes liquid fuel and converts
it to gas, then is adjusted by the vacuum from the intake (like the
butterfly in a carb adjusts volume), and the mixer simply moves the
propane into the intake airstream (as a carb does with liquid
gasoline) for burning. Do I have that right?

Pretty much. Some actually have a "choke" which feeds slightly richer
fuel/air...most do not but some have a "primer" which will give a shot
of propane on key-on or first crank

My Linde/Baker with the VW engine does just that.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Some/many forklifts have either an electrical or mechanical fuel
shutoff..ie a solenoid..so make sure that its working properly as
well. When you turn the key on..it should Click! and pass fuel through
it. When you turn the key off..it closes off the fuel to the carb OR
vaporizer. Mine has a solenoid because my vacum operated one quite
working and after I rebuilt the unit..I left it in line. I dont have
to turn off the fuel at the tank when I walk away from it (though I
do)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It has a separate fuel shutoff based on engine vacuum, another pancake
that is before the vaporizer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pull the vacuum line off, pull off the fuel line on the other side of
it and suck on the hose, making sure it works properly. Or rebuild it
as well.

If you are rich..you can buy replacement mixers and converters on Ebay
cheaply (cheaper than buying them from the service guy at 200-500%
markup)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke