Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Durable Paint

I have some metal parts that need restoring, but since powder coating is not available in my area and I'm sure too expensive for this project I was hoping to get opinions on the most durable paint available.

So far I've come up with appliance epoxy, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have some metal parts that need restoring, but since powder coating is not available in my area and I'm sure too expensive for this project I was hoping to get opinions on the most durable paint available.

So far I've come up with appliance epoxy, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

The most durable paint is a full polyurethane. It's dangerous to spray because it has isocyanates in it. Only safe way to spray it is with a supplied fresh air mask and with a protective Tyvek suit. Dupont solid it under the trade name Imron.

Full polyurethane paint is still no where near as good as powder coating. If I were you I would reconsider using powder coating.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have some metal parts that need restoring, but since powder coating is not available in my area and I'm sure too expensive for this project I was hoping to get opinions on the most durable paint available.

So far I've come up with appliance epoxy, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Harbor Freight has a powder coat gun that has pretty good reviews. In addition to the sprayer you need an oven. I do not have one so can't really comment.

Years ago I worked at a company that used staple guns. The Duofast rep recommended using Sherwin Williams epoxy spray cans to paint the heads of the staples. So we would spray the heads of the staples before using them. The Sherwin Williams paint survived the staple gun.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have some metal parts that need restoring, but since powder coating is not available in my area and I'm sure too expensive for this project I was hoping to get opinions on the most durable paint available.

So far I've come up with appliance epoxy, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Harbor Freight has a powder coat gun that has pretty good reviews. In addition to the sprayer you need an oven. I do not have one so can't really comment.

Years ago I worked at a company that used staple guns. The Duofast rep recommended using Sherwin Williams epoxy spray cans to paint the heads of the staples. So we would spray the heads of the staples before using them. The Sherwin Williams paint survived the staple gun.

Dan

You don't have to use an oven. You can use portable infrared curing lamps.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 8:38:36 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:

You don't have to use an oven. You can use portable infrared curing lamps.

Thanks for posting that about using heat lamps.

If the parts are small , you could use a fluidized bed to apply the powder.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 7:03:08 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:24:13 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have some metal parts that need restoring, but since powder
coating is not available in my area and I'm sure too expensive for
this project I was hoping to get opinions on the most durable paint
available.

So far I've come up with appliance epoxy, but any recommendations
would be appreciated.

As usual for requests from just about anyone on Usenet in the past
decade, there isn't enough information in the original post.

There are some truly outstanding equipment protectants nowadays,
some
with extraordinarily high prices. (see, I can be vague, too.

Alkyd enamels are great on cast iron indoors, and they can take some
heat and solvents without problems. This is what I've used
historically. It's inexpensive and easy to apply.

Epoxies are great if you apply them correctly and prep like mad
beforehand. Performance has greatly increased in the past decade,
and
the prices have come down a bit.

The questions remain: Indoor or out? Abrasive resistance needed?
Chemical/salt resistance needed? UV resistance needed? Temperature
resistance? Grafitti resistance? Sheet or cast metal? Expected
lifetime? Are these pinball panels?

Staten Island powder coating:
http://espospowdercoating.com/

That is one of three places that are "supposed" to do powder coating on Staten Island, but like the other two they do not respond to e-mail inquiries that contain pics of exactly what I want powder coated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 4:59:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
tp://espospowdercoating.com/

That is one of three places that are "supposed" to do powder coating on Staten Island, but like the other two they do not respond to e-mail inquiries that contain pics of exactly what I want powder coated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

What's stopping you from doing the job yourself? Powder coating isn't rocket science.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 8:09:02 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 4:59:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
tp://espospowdercoating.com/

That is one of three places that are "supposed" to do powder coating on Staten Island, but like the other two they do not respond to e-mail inquiries that contain pics of exactly what I want powder coated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

What's stopping you from doing the job yourself? Powder coating isn't rocket science.

I live in an apartment...

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 5:14:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 8:09:02 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 4:59:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
tp://espospowdercoating.com/

That is one of three places that are "supposed" to do powder coating on Staten Island, but like the other two they do not respond to e-mail inquiries that contain pics of exactly what I want powder coated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

What's stopping you from doing the job yourself? Powder coating isn't rocket science.

I live in an apartment...

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

What's the largest part you have to coat?