Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Advise Needed On Converting Bridgeport Mill From 575V to 220v Single Phase

replying to Jimbo , slats wrote:
jimbo_canuck wrote:
throw the old 3 phase motor out is of NP value replace with 220 motor made

in USA cheapest best way yo go
My son has just purchased an old belt drive Bridgeport Mill with 575V 3
phase motor. We only have 220 single phase in our hobby shop and I have
been told by a local rewinding shop that they can rewire the motor to
run on 220V single phase for probably no more than $700.00 CDN. Another
option would be to remove the original motor, sell it and adapt a new
220V single phase 1HP or 1 1/2HP reversing vertical mount motor to the
machine.
I have been told by a local electrician that my only other option would
be to buy a 220V to 557V phase converter then a step up transformer but
I'm pretty sure that would cost a lot more than we have to spend.
My questions are, has anyone on this newsgroup converted a belt driven
Bridgeport to 220V single phase? If so I would appreciate all the info
I can get before we take delivery of this machine. I am also curious to
know if the 3 phase motor on the machine is in much demand and what a
fair price would be if I decide to sell it.
You can respond to me on this newsgroup or E-mail me at

Thanks in advance
Jimbo

scrap 3 phase motor install 2 phase (220) motor made in USA. Cheapest and
best way to go

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...20-306992-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jimbo_canuck wrote:
[...]

Thats a single phase motor. Shrug..least here in the states

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Thats a single phase motor. Shrug..least here in the states

Put a decent 3-phase inverter duty motor on there, and you can use the VFD
for what it was intended to do!

F**K step-pulleys! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:09:42 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

snip
scrap 3 phase motor install 2 phase (220) motor made in USA. Cheapest and
best way to go

Thats a single phase motor. Shrug..least here in the states

Gunner

================
Fleabay has several listed. free freight ~400$US.
(three phase)
http://tinyurl.com/kzzc53a
also see
http://tinyurl.com/k2qfcrg

In a hobby shop you most likely won't need full power so for
cheap see
http://tinyurl.com/l8r9d44

but see
http://tinyurl.com/mvyfvrn
I have dealt with this company and found them to be good.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:18:25 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Thats a single phase motor. Shrug..least here in the states

Put a decent 3-phase inverter duty motor on there, and you can use the VFD
for what it was intended to do!

F**K step-pulleys! G

Lloyd

Indeed!! And you can run a vfd off 110vt single phase..and specific
ones will put out 230 3ph

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 22:24:11 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:09:42 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

snip
scrap 3 phase motor install 2 phase (220) motor made in USA. Cheapest and
best way to go

Thats a single phase motor. Shrug..least here in the states

Gunner

================
Fleabay has several listed. free freight ~400$US.
(three phase)
http://tinyurl.com/kzzc53a
also see
http://tinyurl.com/k2qfcrg

In a hobby shop you most likely won't need full power so for
cheap see
http://tinyurl.com/l8r9d44

but see
http://tinyurl.com/mvyfvrn
I have dealt with this company and found them to be good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-VARIABL...Y/180903979773

110vt in...(3) 110volt legs out..120' apart..= 230vt 3ph at 2 hp for
$150 including shipping

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
Indeed!! And you can run a vfd off 110vt single phase..and specific
ones will put out 230 3ph

I have not seen any over about 3/4HP that will go 110 1-ph to 230 3-ph.
But there are plenty of them up to 3hp, and a few up to 5hp that will do
230 1-ph to 230 3-ph.

You can also usually get away with derating larger 3-phase input ones by
1/3 when handline single-phase input... but not all brands, so be careful
on that.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/22/2015 11:24 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
In a hobby shop you most likely won't need full power so for
cheap see
http://tinyurl.com/l8r9d44

I got a good deal on one like that a number of years ago. I thought it
was a good deal until it arrived and I found that it needed a separate
programming module! The modules were rare and expensive, but I got one,
cheap.

The linked VFD might be programmable with a PC, or it might need a module.

Bob