Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport 3 phase to single phase

Hello all,

I have been reading the older threads concerning this topic. I am aware
that I can go the phase converter route and the other suggestions that
people have made. But, my situation is a bit different. My motor is a
2hp, 3 phase, 600 volt, on a 2J variable speed type mill. I can get a
phase coverter and a step-up transformer to make it work, but at
considerable expense. I am just wondering if anybody has actually
converted their mill to a 2hp single phase and can tell me which motor
I need to buy.

Thanks for your ideas,
Todd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I have been reading the older threads concerning this topic. I am aware
that I can go the phase converter route and the other suggestions that
people have made. But, my situation is a bit different. My motor is a
2hp, 3 phase, 600 volt, on a 2J variable speed type mill. I can get a
phase coverter and a step-up transformer to make it work, but at
considerable expense. I am just wondering if anybody has actually
converted their mill to a 2hp single phase and can tell me which motor
I need to buy.

Thanks for your ideas,
Todd

I don't think much of your economic decision. You'll lose the ability to
plug reverse the machine, which, to the uninitiated, may illicit a "so
what?" response. Only when you understand the proper operation of a drop
spindle mill will that have any value for you, then it's too late.

Spend your money getting the three phase service via a rotary phase
converter, not replacing the motor. That's a decision you won't regret.
Ebay can be your friend in this instance-----watch for a 3 phase step-up
transformer.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

wrote in message
[...]

If he's going to do a rotary converter he would be better off either
stepping up the voltage with a less expensive single phase transformer
before the converter and using a cheap-because-nobody-wants-it surplus
600v 3ph motor in the converter, or by replacing the 600v 3ph motor with
220v 3ph motor and staying low voltage.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:23:55 -0800, Grant Erwin

Hello all,

I have been reading the older threads concerning this topic. I am aware
that I can go the phase converter route and the other suggestions that
people have made. But, my situation is a bit different. My motor is a
2hp, 3 phase, 600 volt, on a 2J variable speed type mill. I can get a
phase coverter and a step-up transformer to make it work, but at
considerable expense. I am just wondering if anybody has actually
converted their mill to a 2hp single phase and can tell me which motor
I need to buy.

Buy the appropriate C-frame motor, and make a switch mount and a motor mounting
ring and wire it up. Look at your existing motor and make sure you get a
replacement that has the same shaft size, as you'll be swapping the pulley old/new.

GWE

I'm be surprised if you couldn't find a used 3 phase motor and a
capacitor only phase converter for less than a 2 hp single phase
motor. A single phase motor will not instant reverse like a three
phase motor will, even if the three phase motor is run from one of the
above mentioned phase converters.
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ryan

Todd,
If your ok with losing reverse.....
I dont see why you can't convert it to 230V single phase. I might be
able to help you get a single phase motor for it. There is a Frame
designation on your existing motor is it 145TY-4 ??? Also verify the
RPM printed on the label it sould something like 1750 or 1800.
If its diffrent let me know. I should have a line on what you need for
it.
Keep in mind that a 2HP single phase motor might not have the muscle of
the 3ph, however if your an average user you'll never know the
difference.

If loosing reverse is a serious problem, (it would be for me) youll
need to rewire, rewind (a good motor guy can do that), or buy a 3ph
230V motor for it. I can also help you with a drive that will take in
single phase 230v and output 3ph. It is not rotary - all electronic.
virtually silent.

Ryan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen Young

Ryan wrote:
[...]

I would think having reverse is absolutely essential - can't use low
range and standard tools without it...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Stephen Young :
Ryan wrote:
Todd,
If your ok with losing reverse.....

[ ... ]

If loosing reverse is a serious problem, (it would be for me) youll
need to rewire, rewind (a good motor guy can do that), or buy a 3ph
230V motor for it. I can also help you with a drive that will take in
single phase 230v and output 3ph. It is not rotary - all electronic.
virtually silent.

I would think having reverse is absolutely essential - can't use low
range and standard tools without it...

I think what he was talking about is the ability to "plug"
reverse. That is, just switch the windings while it is running
forwards, and suddenly it is running in reverse.

You can't do this with the typical capacitor start single-phase
motor, in part because the speed of the motor will keep the start
winding from ever engaging until you coast down to almost a dead stop.
Just throw the switch to reverse, and it will keep going forwards at
full speed.

And plug reversing is important when you are doing tapping with
the mill. Skip that, and you break off a tap in the bottom of the hole.
(Well ... if you have a tapping head like the TapMatic ones, the
reversing is built into the mechanics of the head, but for "rigid
tapping", you have problems.)

Personally, I have gone the VFD route, though I started with a
230/460V motor, not a 600V one. But the advice to pick up a 230/460V
Bridgeport motor and swap it into the head is the right way to go, I
believe.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:54:31 -0500, Stephen Young
wrote:

Ryan wrote:
[...]

Very much true. Not to mention losing the ability to tap quickly and
easily.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi

I take it fro your voltage, that you are in Canada. What I did in my
shop is buy a 7500va 220-600V single phase transformer and hook up a
VHD to my mill, my drill press etc. None of the VFDs i used were rated
for single phase but three of the four that I bought worked. I have an
AB 1333, an AC Tech and a Hitatchi j100. I have also mounted a single
phase motor on a Bridgport but this is not that easy. If you are in
Southern Ontario I can help you find a used transformer and VHD. I
think you could get a transformer for $150 and a VHD for about $150.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
lens

3-phase motors go very cheaply on Ebay. VFDs can be gotten on ebay as
well, or Dealers Electric. The whole conversion with motor and VFD
should cost about $300 from these or other surplus sources. There was
also a recent post re cheap Teco VFD prices.