Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Bridgeport 3 phase to single phase

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:23:55 -0800, Grant Erwin

Hello all,

I have been reading the older threads concerning this topic. I am aware
that I can go the phase converter route and the other suggestions that
people have made. But, my situation is a bit different. My motor is a
2hp, 3 phase, 600 volt, on a 2J variable speed type mill. I can get a
phase coverter and a step-up transformer to make it work, but at
considerable expense. I am just wondering if anybody has actually
converted their mill to a 2hp single phase and can tell me which motor
I need to buy.

Buy the appropriate C-frame motor, and make a switch mount and a motor mounting
ring and wire it up. Look at your existing motor and make sure you get a
replacement that has the same shaft size, as you'll be swapping the pulley old/new.

GWE

I'm be surprised if you couldn't find a used 3 phase motor and a
capacitor only phase converter for less than a 2 hp single phase
motor. A single phase motor will not instant reverse like a three
phase motor will, even if the three phase motor is run from one of the
above mentioned phase converters.
ERS