Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinery rollers/skates

I have several machinery skates/rollers, such as the one pictured
he

http://www.hevihaul.com/dollies/prod...-um-hd-50.cmsx

While they roll and handle the weight, they have two problems:

1) They are impossible to turn while loaded.

2) Even small obstacles (say a 1/4" bolt) get them stuck and stopped.

I am aware of, but do not have, carerpillar style Hilman rollers, such
as these ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381025318979

I would like to know if anyone used such rollers. Do they allow a turn
during move, under load? Are they any better at handling small bumps
and obstacles?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 10:45:35 -0500, Ignoramus16807
wrote:

I have several machinery skates/rollers, such as the one pictured
he

http://www.hevihaul.com/dollies/prod...-um-hd-50.cmsx

While they roll and handle the weight, they have two problems:

1) They are impossible to turn while loaded.

2) Even small obstacles (say a 1/4" bolt) get them stuck and stopped.

I am aware of, but do not have, carerpillar style Hilman rollers, such
as these ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381025318979

I would like to know if anyone used such rollers. Do they allow a turn
during move, under load? Are they any better at handling small bumps
and obstacles?

thanks

I used the Hilman rollers a lot 35 years ago to move sailboats up to
45 feet and 15 tons. The individual rollers are quite small, so do not
handle rough floors or obstructions well at all.

They will turn under load if you can position them where you can get
the handle in a usable orientation. Note that the handle only attaches
front and back, which means that unless you can put the rollers at the
end of the load, the handle is going to be parallel and low to the
floor. I modified a set with a side attachment for the handle, which
made them much more convenient to use. But you'll still get in
situations where there's no clearance around the load to use the
handle.

They also seem to be more prone to getting knocked out of alignment
than the Hevi-Haul rollers you pointed to, and thus require more
attention while the load is moving.

My main customer is constantly shuffling large machinery within their
plant, and they use the Hevi-Haul type.

Having used both, I prefer the Hevi-Haul.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks, this was very useful.

Machinery moving skates Mike M[_3_] Metalworking 3 January 21st 10 11:43 AM
Machinery Skates No Name Metalworking 2 June 3rd 09 12:41 AM
Machine moving roller skates Jim Dincau Metalworking 1 November 14th 05 03:53 PM
Machine moving skates Jim Dincau Metalworking 9 September 21st 05 02:22 AM
links to pix of machinery moving skates I made Grant Erwin Metalworking 0 January 26th 04 03:38 AM