Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mini-gloat

Just scored these Starrett vernier calipers. Almost as new. I've not seen this model in Europe before, but they are neat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muee1y54oh...N7952.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prvbxbbzth...N7948.JPG?dl=0

:-)

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 4:16:03 PM UTC-8, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Just scored these Starrett vernier calipers. Almost as new. I've not seen this model in Europe before, but they are neat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muee1y54oh...N7952.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prvbxbbzth...N7948.JPG?dl=0

:-)

Chris

I find them very handy for large parts. For anything 12" and under... not so much.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:15:58 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Just scored these Starrett vernier calipers. Almost as new. I've not seen this model in Europe before, but they are neat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muee1y54oh...N7952.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prvbxbbzth...N7948.JPG?dl=0

:-)

Chris

Pretty much standard. metric/ansi...but absolutely NOS and lovely!

Good score!!

Need a 48" one?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just scored these Starrett vernier calipers. Almost as new. I've not seen this model in Europe before, but they are neat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muee1y54oh...N7952.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/prvbxbbzth...N7948.JPG?dl=0

:-)

Chris

Pretty much standard. metric/ansi...but absolutely NOS and lovely!

Good score!!

Need a 48" one?

Braggert!

Lol..it was a serious question...buddy is selling a bunch..bunch of
metrology gear from GE Aviation, including a 42" micrometer...but he
has a bunch of 48" verniers available for cheap. Helios, Starrett etc
etc

Bookmark this guys auctions and they will show up.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/catruckman$aol-com/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

This weekend he is at the San Diego Swap Meet with a couple tons of
stuff if you are in that area.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2015 22:18:47 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Need a 48" one?

Do I need a 48" caliper? No. I'd like one, but the postage and duty would be too steep.

A nice score for someone in California.

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 13:32:52 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2015 22:18:47 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Need a 48" one?

Do I need a 48" caliper? No. I'd like one, but the postage and duty would be too steep.

A nice score for someone in California.

Other than Gunner, I don't know anyone who would even want a vernier a
caliper, when dial and digital have been available forever now.
They're much, much easier to read. (Especially for the older eyes most
of us now have.)

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we

--Veterans of Foreign Wars
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2015 22:18:47 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Need a 48" one?

Do I need a 48" caliper? No. I'd like one, but the postage and duty would be too steep.

A nice score for someone in California.

Other than Gunner, I don't know anyone who would even want a vernier a
caliper, when dial and digital have been available forever now.
They're much, much easier to read. (Especially for the older eyes most
of us now have.)

No backlash. No worry about whether it's really zeroed.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2015 22:18:47 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Need a 48" one?

Do I need a 48" caliper? No. I'd like one, but the postage and duty would be too steep.

A nice score for someone in California.

Other than Gunner, I don't know anyone who would even want a vernier a
caliper, when dial and digital have been available forever now.
They're much, much easier to read. (Especially for the older eyes most
of us now have.)

Digital calipers need batteries -- and those tend to die just
before you need them on a weekend evening. (Yes -- keep spare cells with
them, but still ... . :-)

Dial calipers are sensitive to fine chips, which cause the
pinion to jump teeth on the rack. They are a real pain to get reset
properly, though it can be done.

Vernier have neither of these problems -- and larger ones have
enough spacing on the vernier scales so you can usually do without
serious glasses. (I've got a nice 24" one by Scherr-Tumico, FWIW. Got
it at a hamfest a couple of years ago, in a fitted wooden box.)

And -- the vernier can have both metric and imperial scales --
as can the digital. I've seen *attempts* at a bi-system dial caliper,
but it is ugly and hard to read -- and I don't want to know how long it
takes to get both pointers properly re-zeroed after a chip skip. :-)

Granted -- I usually grab for the digital calipers -- but the
vernier is always there as a backup. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2015 22:18:47 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Need a 48" one?

Do I need a 48" caliper? No. I'd like one, but the postage and duty would be too steep.

A nice score for someone in California.

Other than Gunner, I don't know anyone who would even want a vernier a
caliper, when dial and digital have been available forever now.
They're much, much easier to read. (Especially for the older eyes most
of us now have.)

Digital calipers need batteries -- and those tend to die just
before you need them on a weekend evening. (Yes -- keep spare cells with
them, but still ... . :-)

Yes, Murphy's Law sleeps for noone. When batteried, they're damned
handy. I buy batteries in lots of 10, 25, 36, 50, or 100 when
possible. Bulk pricing negates all shipping fees, and usually about
75% of the retail price. When friends need batteries, I sell them for
a buck less than the store. That pays for my own batteries. Win/win.

Dial calipers are sensitive to fine chips, which cause the
pinion to jump teeth on the rack. They are a real pain to get reset
properly, though it can be done.

Sacre bleu, sir. Keep your tools cleaner, please. gd&r And the
little brass shim stock jumpsetter is kept in my dial caliper case.
I've only needed to use it twice in 30 years, mostly on wood chips.

Vernier have neither of these problems -- and larger ones have
enough spacing on the vernier scales so you can usually do without
serious glasses. (I've got a nice 24" one by Scherr-Tumico, FWIW. Got
it at a hamfest a couple of years ago, in a fitted wooden box.)

If you say so. I cut my eye teeth on verniers, but haven't looked back
since dial calipers came out. They had their era, and it's over, IMO.

And -- the vernier can have both metric and imperial scales --
as can the digital. I've seen *attempts* at a bi-system dial caliper,
but it is ugly and hard to read -- and I don't want to know how long it
takes to get both pointers properly re-zeroed after a chip skip. :-)

Granted -- I usually grab for the digital calipers -- but the
vernier is always there as a backup. :-)

Yes, always have a backup.

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we
hereby declare that we are unalterably opposed to any program
which would entail the surrender of any part of the sovereignty
of the United States of America in favor of a world government.

--Veterans of Foreign Wars

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2015 22:18:47 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Need a 48" one?

Do I need a 48" caliper? No. I'd like one, but the postage and duty would be too steep.

A nice score for someone in California.

Other than Gunner, I don't know anyone who would even want a vernier a
caliper, when dial and digital have been available forever now.
They're much, much easier to read. (Especially for the older eyes most
of us now have.)

The problem with dial calipers that long...is the very long gear track
means the gear running the dial mechanism is being worn out very
fast...keep in mind that the average caliper is 6-8" long..and when
you run that sucker on a gear/track 8x as long...the life span is only
1/8th of the small ones.
Digitals that long are more common as they now..dont have that problem
with wear.

Hence..verniers generally are "primitive". I actually didnt know how
to read one until last year...when my buddy who actually makes BIG
stuff showed me. He was surprised I didnt know how..but when we
discussed I only have done "small" stuff...he understood.

I brought in a swiss machine screw guy to introduce them to each other
and it was a blast listening to the conversation. Opposite sides of
the spectrum. One guy working in nothing but tenths..the other guy
working in feet...

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Everything wears out, so that's not a real issue. When a tool or
instrument is worn, it's either repaired or tossed, a new (or newer)
one replacing it. I'd like to hear stories from those here who have
built new racks for their dial calipers, please.
(certainly not holding my breath for this one

Hence..verniers generally are "primitive". I actually didnt know how
to read one until last year...when my buddy who actually makes BIG
stuff showed me. He was surprised I didnt know how..but when we
discussed I only have done "small" stuff...he understood.

I wonder if reading verniers was one of the tidbits the stroke took
from you, and you had actually known it decades ago, but it got lost.

I brought in a swiss machine screw guy to introduce them to each other
and it was a blast listening to the conversation. Opposite sides of
the spectrum. One guy working in nothing but tenths..the other guy
working in feet...

That sounds exactly like the conversation Glenn and I had when I built
the metal superstructure for the Green Monster. I was used to
thinking in sixteenths, for wood, and he worked in thou or tenths, for
metal. I had to "retrain me brain" for it.

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we
hereby declare that we are unalterably opposed to any program
which would entail the surrender of any part of the sovereignty
of the United States of America in favor of a world government.

--Veterans of Foreign Wars
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 10:20:25 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:

Hence..verniers generally are "primitive". I actually didnt know how
to read one until last year...when my buddy who actually makes BIG
stuff showed me. He was surprised I didnt know how..but when we
discussed I only have done "small" stuff...he understood.

Pathetic. Most well trained apprentices in their first year know better. You and Larry Jackass are two peas in a pod. Neither of you two world class losers know anything about machining in the real world.

Verniers aren't primitive. In the right hands they are very accurate for measuring large parts. That immediately discounts both you and Larry Jackass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Years of drinking like a fish wore what little you have for a brain out. It's truly amazing how little you have learned about machining over the many years you have spent here, Jackass. Maybe it's time to try something else because you don't have what it takes and you never will.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Sonntag, 1. März 2015 18:28:05 UTC+1 schrieb jon_banquer:

Verniers aren't primitive. In the right hands they are very accurate for measuring large parts. That immediately discounts both you and Larry Jackass.

When he said "primitive", I suspect he meant that they are slow rather than inaccurate.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 9:38:37 AM UTC-8, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Am Sonntag, 1. März 2015 18:28:05 UTC+1 schrieb jon_banquer:

Verniers aren't primitive. In the right hands they are very accurate for measuring large parts. That immediately discounts both you and Larry Jackass.

When he said "primitive", I suspect he meant that they are slow rather than inaccurate.

Chris

A vernier caliper is a very accurate instrument in the right hands. The only reason a digital or a dial caliper gained more acceptance is speed. The digital or dial caliper isn't more accurate, just faster and it can be zeroed out which can be very handy. Time is money.

For larger work the vernier caliper is still the hand tool of choice in most machining job shops. For better CNC shops an on machine probe or a CMM is often its only replacement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 09:38:35 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Am Sonntag, 1. März 2015 18:28:05 UTC+1 schrieb jon_banquer:

Verniers aren't primitive. In the right hands they are very accurate for measuring large parts. That immediately discounts both you and Larry Jackass.

When he said "primitive", I suspect he meant that they are slow rather than inaccurate.

Little johnny banquer is the primitive around here. Please join us in
filtering all of his posts. They do nobody any good and only serve to
keep the troll hanging around.

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we
hereby declare that we are unalterably opposed to any program
which would entail the surrender of any part of the sovereignty
of the United States of America in favor of a world government.

--Veterans of Foreign Wars
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Am Sonntag, 1. März 2015 18:28:05 UTC+1 schrieb jon_banquer:

Verniers aren't primitive. In the right hands they are very accurate for measuring large parts. That immediately discounts both you and Larry Jackass.

When he said "primitive", I suspect he meant that they are slow rather than inaccurate.

Little johnny banquer is the primitive around here. Please join us in
filtering all of his posts. They do nobody any good and only serve to
keep the troll hanging around.

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we
hereby declare that we are unalterably opposed to any program
which would entail the surrender of any part of the sovereignty
of the United States of America in favor of a world government.

--Veterans of Foreign Wars

Loser Larry Jackass is too stupid to understand that adults can and will make their own decisions. Simply put, they don't need an adult babysitter.

What's especially hard for a loser like Larry Jackass to understand is I've paid my machining dues for well over two decades working in machining job shops. Those would be the same dues that neither Mark Wieber or Larry Jackass were willing to pay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nope. Ive never had much call to use verniers before. Mics and dial
calipers yes. Ive got a couple verniers (Mity and Starrett) in my
metrology cabinet..never had a need to use em.

I brought in a swiss machine screw guy to introduce them to each other
and it was a blast listening to the conversation. Opposite sides of
the spectrum. One guy working in nothing but tenths..the other guy
working in feet...

That sounds exactly like the conversation Glenn and I had when I built
the metal superstructure for the Green Monster. I was used to
thinking in sixteenths, for wood, and he worked in thou or tenths, for
metal. I had to "retrain me brain" for it.

My buddy Jim works in tenths too,,...but its like 48.9745"

When you need a 10k lb forklift to load the part on the lathe or the
mill...you are in a different world.

30 rpm doesnt seem very fast when turning a 1" chunk. When you have a
10' gear up on the Richardson VTL....its ****ing screaming

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Am Sonntag, 1. März 2015 18:28:05 UTC+1 schrieb jon_banquer:

Verniers aren't primitive. In the right hands they are very accurate for measuring large parts. That immediately discounts both you and Larry Jackass.

When he said "primitive", I suspect he meant that they are slow rather than inaccurate.

Chris

Absolutely correct. Which is why I put it in quotes.

Banqueer is such a dork. Even his shoes think he is a dork.

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:09:55 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote nothing worth reading:

Wieber bull**** snipped

Why don't you two losers get a room. You both belong together.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I used them in College, 4 years of measurements in Imperial sets and
Metric. Our calculations were in Metric. Imperial for the Freshmen class.

Like a slide Rule, college 4 years of use. Both were like the back of
my hand. Once you understand and use it over and over - it is natural.

I have "6" versions" in Metric in he shop now.

Martin

On 3/1/2015 11:38 AM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Am Sonntag, 1. März 2015 18:28:05 UTC+1 schrieb jon_banquer:

Verniers aren't primitive. In the right hands they are very accurate for measuring large parts. That immediately discounts both you and Larry Jackass.

When he said "primitive", I suspect he meant that they are slow rather than inaccurate.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I find it interesting that here in Germany I've never seen a dial caliper. Mostly verniers in actual shops, and digitals in design studios and such. I still have my trusty 6" Browne & Sharp dial, but don't have much use for it in Metric land. I did find a 15cm dial online which I use most of the time.

As to scoring a bargain, EURO 25 at a Dresden flea market got me this:
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...3/102_1714.jpg
Extra points to anyone who knows the make.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN..html

I find it interesting that here in Germany I've never seen a dial caliper.. Mostly verniers in actual shops, and digitals in design studios and such. I still have my trusty 6" Browne & Sharp dial, but don't have much use for it in Metric land. I did find a 15cm dial online which I use most of the time.

As to scoring a bargain, EURO 25 at a Dresden flea market got me this:
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...3/102_1714.jpg
Extra points to anyone who knows the make.

Mechanical dial calipers have lots of issues. One is that chips often get stuck in their rack despite their sliding cover.

As far as construction is concerned there is no doubt that vernier calipers are built better and they are more durable.

I use this tool daily and I love it. It's a great tool but it's still not built as well as a quality vernier caliper:

http://www.europacprecision.com/prod...oducts/2_1.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 08:36:14 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

[...]

Dial indicators and calipers became mostly an American thing after
digitals became popular. Mitutoyo built their dial-indicator factory
in Illinois 25 years ago because there was no substantial market for
them outside of the U.S.

As to scoring a bargain, EURO 25 at a Dresden flea market got me this:
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...3/102_1714.jpg
Extra points to anyone who knows the make.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:11:25 AM UTC-8, Ed Huntress wrote:

Dial indicators and calipers became mostly an American thing after
digitals became popular. Mitutoyo built their dial-indicator factory
in Illinois 25 years ago because there was no substantial market for
them outside of the U.S.

The Tessa Swiss digital caliper is the only one I have ever used that I really like and I've had many. The Mitutoyo digital caliper I had was a total piece of ****.

In general, I find Swiss tools to be far superior to Starrett and Mitutoyo. I started with mostly Starrett and Mitutoyo and moved on to mostly Swiss tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...3/102_1714.jpg

Nice!

Ive got a Starrett and a Helios
\
Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-03-01, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

The problem with dial calipers that long...is the very long gear track
means the gear running the dial mechanism is being worn out very
fast...keep in mind that the average caliper is 6-8" long..and when
you run that sucker on a gear/track 8x as long...the life span is only
1/8th of the small ones.
Digitals that long are more common as they now..dont have that problem
with wear.

A good point. I've never had a dial longer than 6"/150mm. (Yes,
I have a Starrett in metric units -- since about 1974 or so.)

And that one did not come with the brass shim for resetting
after small chips disturb the gear mesh.

Hence..verniers generally are "primitive". I actually didnt know how
to read one until last year...when my buddy who actually makes BIG
stuff showed me. He was surprised I didnt know how..but when we
discussed I only have done "small" stuff...he understood.

Interesting. This also means that you did not know how to read
the "tenths" vernier on micrometer thimbles?

Or is it possible that you knew, and this is one of the things
that the stroke took from you?

And some special things, such as the gear tooth calipers, come
only in vernier format.

There is also the vernier for the angles on a bevel protractor,
to get you into the minutes of a degree.

For that matter -- some ham radio receiver dials came with a
vernier to allow precise re-setting to a given frequency.

I brought in a swiss machine screw guy to introduce them to each other
and it was a blast listening to the conversation. Opposite sides of
the spectrum. One guy working in nothing but tenths..the other guy
working in feet...

Sounds like fun.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-03-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 08:57:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

Everything wears out, so that's not a real issue. When a tool or
instrument is worn, it's either repaired or tossed, a new (or newer)
one replacing it. I'd like to hear stories from those here who have
built new racks for their dial calipers, please.
(certainly not holding my breath for this one

Actually -- the pinion would wear out a lot faster, and any
possible gearing from the pinion to the dial.

Hence..verniers generally are "primitive". I actually didnt know how
to read one until last year...when my buddy who actually makes BIG
stuff showed me. He was surprised I didnt know how..but when we
discussed I only have done "small" stuff...he understood.

I wonder if reading verniers was one of the tidbits the stroke took
from you, and you had actually known it decades ago, but it got lost.

Nope. Ive never had much call to use verniers before. Mics and dial
calipers yes. Ive got a couple verniers (Mity and Starrett) in my
metrology cabinet..never had a need to use em.

Did you read micrometers to "tenths" before the digital ones?
If so, you needed to read a vernier on the thimble and barrel.

[ ... ]

That sounds exactly like the conversation Glenn and I had when I built
the metal superstructure for the Green Monster. I was used to
thinking in sixteenths, for wood, and he worked in thou or tenths, for
metal. I had to "retrain me brain" for it.

My buddy Jim works in tenths too,,...but its like 48.9745"

Which means that the length changes in thousandths as it warms
up during the turning. :-)

When you need a 10k lb forklift to load the part on the lathe or the
mill...you are in a different world.

:-)

30 rpm doesnt seem very fast when turning a 1" chunk. When you have a
10' gear up on the Richardson VTL....its ****ing screaming

I'll bet.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Mar 2015 04:38:51 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Mar 2015 04:32:11 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-03-01, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Nope..Id never dealt with verniers before and didnt have a clue how to
read them. Its not..obvious until you have been shown and then its a
palm to the forehead and Oh! Yes! Simple!

Or is it possible that you knew, and this is one of the things
that the stroke took from you?

And some special things, such as the gear tooth calipers, come
only in vernier format.

There is also the vernier for the angles on a bevel protractor,
to get you into the minutes of a degree.

I own 2 bevel protractors..neve needed to go really fine. Once I was
shown how to read verniers..its all easy now.

For that matter -- some ham radio receiver dials came with a
vernier to allow precise re-setting to a given frequency.

I brought in a swiss machine screw guy to introduce them to each other
and it was a blast listening to the conversation. Opposite sides of
the spectrum. One guy working in nothing but tenths..the other guy
working in feet...

Sounds like fun.

Enjoy,
DoN.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:02:16 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:

Nope..Id never dealt with verniers before and didnt have a clue how to
read them. Its not..obvious until you have been shown and then its a
palm to the forehead and Oh! Yes! Simple!

Not surprised at all.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nope..Id never dealt with verniers before and didnt have a clue how to
read them. Its not..obvious until you have been shown and then its a
palm to the forehead and Oh! Yes! Simple!

Didn't you ever wonder what all those other marks were for?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 10:59:45 AM UTC-8, robobass wrote:
Nope..Id never dealt with verniers before and didnt have a clue how to
read them. Its not..obvious until you have been shown and then its a
palm to the forehead and Oh! Yes! Simple!

Didn't you ever wonder what all those other marks were for?

I wonder how many more years before he figures out how to use a vernier caliper to take an ID measurement.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:59:43 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

Nope..Id never dealt with verniers before and didnt have a clue how to
read them. Its not..obvious until you have been shown and then its a
palm to the forehead and Oh! Yes! Simple!

Didn't you ever wonder what all those other marks were for?

I never HANDLED one much. Had no need to do so. Why would I ?
Ive got tools out in the shop Ive never used before..and in some
cases..dont know what they are used for. When I find them...I usually
put them aside for investigation...but some of them Ive never found
out what they were for.

Hell...heres an example.....Ive got a handful of like items marked
Stanley. I put 2 of them into my pocket when I went to an antique tool
show and showed em around...and it was an hour before a guy looked at
em and lit up and told me what they were.

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge...&aid=002274223

I gave him one for the ID and he was tickled ****less.

Got lots of Stuff like that out in the bins and barrels and boxes.
Shrug. Ask Larry and others who have visited.

Need a meter that will tell you the copper content of a fluid? Got
one. Sell it to you cheap. Best I can figure its for people doing
printed circuits to test when the etchant is about done. Maybe.
Perhaps.

Lol.

Son..Im not stupid..and when I cant figure out what something is used
for..its rare, unusual or simply wierd.

Ive got a pair of verniers..but never had a need to use em
before...but Im hell on keeping stuff. My widow is gonna have a bitch
of a time selling everything off if she outlives me.

I just went and opened up my metrology cabinet

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16940781928802

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16934432382642

Only found the (1) vernier indicator...7" Mitytoyo Absolutely mint but
in the wrong case.
No idea where the Starrett went off to. Probably gave it to someone.
Did find (2) Mitytoyo depth mics I dont remember getting. Both are
missing a couple rods. So that means Ive got 4 full sets and 2
partials for depth indicator mics. 4"-12" units

Shrug

Blow up the photos above..look at the gear and look Back into the
shelves. And Ive added more since those photos were taken 3 yrs
ago...

Wanna buy some Stuff? You will get far more than you pay for...bring
a truck.
(Grin)

This is what just the back yard at my place used to look like..before
I did a bunch of scrapping and several sales..and frankly GAVE a bunch
of stuff away.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...32899779816466

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602

Gunner, who has closed down 5 machine shops and 2 factories in the
past 3 yrs...and the piles of Stuff keep growing..until someone comes
by and I can unload some Stuff on them.....

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Nope..Id never dealt with verniers before and didnt have a clue how to
read them. Its not..obvious until you have been shown and then its a
palm to the forehead and Oh! Yes! Simple!

Wait until you find an old transit with 30 graduations on the
retrograde angular vernier. g Verniers were used for lots of things.
The ones one calipers and micrometers are pretty simple.

Didn't you ever wonder what all those other marks were for?

I never HANDLED one much. Had no need to do so. Why would I ?
Ive got tools out in the shop Ive never used before..and in some
cases..dont know what they are used for. When I find them...I usually
put them aside for investigation...but some of them Ive never found
out what they were for.

Hell...heres an example.....Ive got a handful of like items marked
Stanley. I put 2 of them into my pocket when I went to an antique tool
show and showed em around...and it was an hour before a guy looked at
em and lit up and told me what they were.

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge...&aid=002274223

I gave him one for the ID and he was tickled ****less.

Good grief. How did you control the bores in your ark timbers before
you knew?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Good grief. How did you control the bores in your ark timbers before
you knew?

Yeah... verniers preceded dial calipers -- all the way back to the Ark!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 15:12:27 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Good grief. How did you control the bores in your ark timbers before
you knew?

Yeah... verniers preceded dial calipers -- all the way back to the Ark!

Lloyd

g That was in reference to his Stanley auger-bit stops.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Nope..Id never dealt with verniers before and didnt have a clue how to
read them. Its not..obvious until you have been shown and then its a
palm to the forehead and Oh! Yes! Simple!

Didn't you ever wonder what all those other marks were for?

Spares, in case the lower ones fall off, of course.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 15:12:27 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Good grief. How did you control the bores in your ark timbers before
you knew?

Yeah... verniers preceded dial calipers -- all the way back to the Ark!

Precise down to 1/100 of a cubit!

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand

Mini gloat Jon Danniken[_7_] Metalworking 14 October 24th 12 12:30 PM
mini gloat Limp Arbor Woodworking 1 January 5th 12 09:43 PM
Mini-gloat Doug Miller Woodworking 10 July 25th 10 05:43 PM
mini gloat Rob V Woodworking 3 August 29th 05 04:47 PM
mini gloat Sam the Cat Woodworking 2 October 24th 04 03:57 AM