Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mini-gloat

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 19:20:25 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 13:32:52 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2015 22:18:47 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Need a 48" one?

Do I need a 48" caliper? No. I'd like one, but the postage and duty would be too steep.

A nice score for someone in California.

Other than Gunner, I don't know anyone who would even want a vernier a
caliper, when dial and digital have been available forever now.
They're much, much easier to read. (Especially for the older eyes most
of us now have.)

The problem with dial calipers that long...is the very long gear track
means the gear running the dial mechanism is being worn out very
fast...keep in mind that the average caliper is 6-8" long..and when
you run that sucker on a gear/track 8x as long...the life span is only
1/8th of the small ones.
Digitals that long are more common as they now..dont have that problem
with wear.

Hence..verniers generally are "primitive". I actually didnt know how
to read one until last year...when my buddy who actually makes BIG
stuff showed me. He was surprised I didnt know how..but when we
discussed I only have done "small" stuff...he understood.

I brought in a swiss machine screw guy to introduce them to each other
and it was a blast listening to the conversation. Opposite sides of
the spectrum. One guy working in nothing but tenths..the other guy
working in feet...

PJ O'Rourke