Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mini-gloat

On 2015-03-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 08:57:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

Everything wears out, so that's not a real issue. When a tool or
instrument is worn, it's either repaired or tossed, a new (or newer)
one replacing it. I'd like to hear stories from those here who have
built new racks for their dial calipers, please.
(certainly not holding my breath for this one

Actually -- the pinion would wear out a lot faster, and any
possible gearing from the pinion to the dial.

Hence..verniers generally are "primitive". I actually didnt know how
to read one until last year...when my buddy who actually makes BIG
stuff showed me. He was surprised I didnt know how..but when we
discussed I only have done "small" stuff...he understood.

I wonder if reading verniers was one of the tidbits the stroke took
from you, and you had actually known it decades ago, but it got lost.

Nope. Ive never had much call to use verniers before. Mics and dial
calipers yes. Ive got a couple verniers (Mity and Starrett) in my
metrology cabinet..never had a need to use em.

Did you read micrometers to "tenths" before the digital ones?
If so, you needed to read a vernier on the thimble and barrel.

[ ... ]

That sounds exactly like the conversation Glenn and I had when I built
the metal superstructure for the Green Monster. I was used to
thinking in sixteenths, for wood, and he worked in thou or tenths, for
metal. I had to "retrain me brain" for it.

My buddy Jim works in tenths too,,...but its like 48.9745"

Which means that the length changes in thousandths as it warms
up during the turning. :-)

When you need a 10k lb forklift to load the part on the lathe or the
mill...you are in a different world.

:-)

30 rpm doesnt seem very fast when turning a 1" chunk. When you have a
10' gear up on the Richardson VTL....its ****ing screaming

I'll bet.

Enjoy,
DoN.