Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tool wanted

Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale? They just
don't seem to make them here anymore, even the 4" one from Klein is
imported nonsense.

I just want one or two because they're pretty darn cute. Ebay has nothing
but imports, new or used.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:04:29 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale? They just
don't seem to make them here anymore, even the 4" one from Klein is
imported nonsense.

I just want one or two because they're pretty darn cute. Ebay has nothing
but imports, new or used.

Hit yard sales and pawn shops. Ive got a handful of US made ones.
Most are at least 20 or more years old. Armstrong, SnapOn, etc etc

4" is pretty small for the average plonk's tool box..so you may be
looking for a while

Finding good 2" and 3" ones are harder though.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale? They just
don't seem to make them here anymore, even the 4" one from Klein is
imported nonsense.

I just want one or two because they're pretty darn cute. Ebay has nothing
but imports, new or used.

Hit yard sales and pawn shops. Ive got a handful of US made ones.
Most are at least 20 or more years old. Armstrong, SnapOn, etc etc

4" is pretty small for the average plonk's tool box..so you may be
looking for a while

if you have too many name a price.

Finding good 2" and 3" ones are harder though.

have any of those (that is good)? I've seen keychain type ones die cast
out of zinc alloy, but they look pretty useless.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 11:04:32 AM UTC-8, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale?

Well, my keychain item says 'Jamestown, NY' and 'Made in U.S.A' and a
recent catalog shows the same company and product. It doesn't detail the manufacture
site this week --"Specifications subject to change without notice".

http://cms.crescenttool.com/WebShare/files/images/multisite_catalog/ATG-1148_eBrochure_v12.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale?

Finding good 2" and 3" ones are harder though.

One that I have here (Thorsen #56702) is 2.5", made in China.

At least, though, it really IS steel (magnets don't stick to far-east zinc, do
they?).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/29/2015 2:32 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Finding good 2" and 3" ones are harder though.

Gunner

Handy little buggers though!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale? They just
don't seem to make them here anymore, even the 4" one from Klein is
imported nonsense.

I just want one or two because they're pretty darn cute. Ebay has nothing
but imports, new or used.

Hit yard sales and pawn shops. Ive got a handful of US made ones.
Most are at least 20 or more years old. Armstrong, SnapOn, etc etc

4" is pretty small for the average plonk's tool box..so you may be
looking for a while

Finding good 2" and 3" ones are harder though.

Gunner

Outside the U.S. I've bought European made 4" "Crescent" wrenches,
Swedish ? Finland? I don't remember but I sure that they were
Scandinavian made. A bit strange as the thumb screw turns the wrong
way and until you get used to one "opening" the jaws close them :-)
But nicely finished and while I don't use a 4 inch "crescent" wrench
daily they have held up very well.
They look very much like: http://tinyurl.com/q3dyr6a
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale? They just
don't seem to make them here anymore, even the 4" one from Klein is
imported nonsense.

I just want one or two because they're pretty darn cute. Ebay has nothing
but imports, new or used.

Hit yard sales and pawn shops. Ive got a handful of US made ones.
Most are at least 20 or more years old. Armstrong, SnapOn, etc etc

4" is pretty small for the average plonk's tool box..so you may be
looking for a while

Finding good 2" and 3" ones are harder though.

I got my 4" from the local MAC tool dealer on wheels, then modified
the spinner to let it open out to 9/16". Default was ~13.5mm. It's a
damned handy tool, and is kept in my EDC pouch (in the truck.)

I also cut a 12" crescent down to about 2.5" and it helps with tough
threads on larger nuts/bolts which don't demand a full wrench for
torque. It was used on wheel bearing nuts back in the day, too.

This just in: A Nesting Falcon. Awesome photo:
http://i.imgur.com/YW6Fufm.jpg

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 11:04:32 AM UTC-8, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale?

Well, my keychain item says 'Jamestown, NY' and 'Made in U.S.A' and a
recent catalog shows the same company and product. It doesn't detail the manufacture
site this week --"Specifications subject to change without notice".

http://cms.crescenttool.com/WebShare/files/images/multisite_catalog/ATG-1148_eBrochure_v12.pdf

I'd love to see what would spin out first in that photo was real life.

I need to call them to see if the little ones are still domestic. I did
get a 6 inch on with the padded grips that seems ok. The first one was
complete defective and went back to amazon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale? They just
don't seem to make them here anymore, even the 4" one from Klein is
imported nonsense.

I just want one or two because they're pretty darn cute. Ebay has nothing
but imports, new or used.

Hit yard sales and pawn shops. Ive got a handful of US made ones.
Most are at least 20 or more years old. Armstrong, SnapOn, etc etc

4" is pretty small for the average plonk's tool box..so you may be
looking for a while

if you have too many name a price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAPA-USA-Cre...-/221677105348

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-DIAMOND-...-/281575601101

etc etc

Finding good 2" and 3" ones are harder though.

have any of those (that is good)? I've seen keychain type ones die cast
out of zinc alloy, but they look pretty useless.

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/31/2015 8:57 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

4" is pretty small for the average plonk's tool box..so you may be
looking for a while

if you have too many name a price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAPA-USA-Cre...-/221677105348

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-DIAMOND-...-/281575601101

etc etc

Any metric adjustables available in the handy 100mm size?

:^)

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale? They just
don't seem to make them here anymore, even the 4" one from Klein is
imported nonsense.

I just want one or two because they're pretty darn cute. Ebay has nothing
but imports, new or used.

Hit yard sales and pawn shops. Ive got a handful of US made ones.
Most are at least 20 or more years old. Armstrong, SnapOn, etc etc

4" is pretty small for the average plonk's tool box..so you may be
looking for a while

if you have too many name a price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAPA-USA-Cre...-/221677105348

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-DIAMOND-...-/281575601101

etc etc

I have a pair of SnapOn 5" channel locks, too. Wonderful.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Support the 2nd Amendment
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Anybody have any made in USA 4" adjustable wrenches for sale? They just
don't seem to make them here anymore, even the 4" one from Klein is
imported nonsense.

I just want one or two because they're pretty darn cute. Ebay has nothing
but imports, new or used.

I've got a couple 4" adjustable wrenches as key fobs. It used to be a major
affectation for me when I was younger, but now they are just there. My
tractor key, and the spare key for my son's car still have them. After
reading your post I decided to look and see. One is a Master Mechanic
wrench stamped USA. It reminded me that back in the around '80 when my dad
opened his hardware store Master Mechanic tools (a TrueValue brand) were
still made in the USA. The other was an S-K wrench. It is also stamped
USA. I know S-K basically went out of business and then was recreated, but
they might be worth a look.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

SK is owned by Ideal now, but they claim this on their website:

"BRINGING IT HOME
Today, SK continues to manufacture each of our nearly 3000 products in the
United States, with forging facilities in Colorado Springs and a brand new
manufacturing and distribution center in Sycamore, IL. And as we've grown,
so has our commitment to providing quality, American-made innovation to the
toughest tradesmen in the world."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I found a old Williams on ebay, should arrive today. The normal current
normal sized wrenches from Western Forge (they're don't seem to sell stuff
as themselves, but make tools for everybody else) are nicely made, but I
don't see any with a a really nice dull chrome plating these days.

By far the nicest adjustable wrench I have is a 10" Armstrong of
unknown age. Perfect fit, perfect finish, perfect balance. It doesn't seem
to rust, the nut never binds or feels funny, and it never opens or closes
on its own.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:57:27 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Ive got crescents up to about 24"...and the Armstrongs are among the
best I own.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

The colorado operation was a company called Western Forge. Any craftsman
screwdrivers stamped WF are from them, the rest stamped PR are from
Pratt-Reed, who Ideal also bought up.

So that's that- pretty much any "normal" type of screwdriver made in the
USA is now from Ideal. I never could figure out who makes the drivers for
Klein/Vaco. My other favorite were anything from Xcelite, now cooper
tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I have a 12" Companion and it's nothing to brag about.

Have you seen my black slipjoint (channellock) pliers? I saw them at
Searz back in the late 70s (while returning tools thrice a week) and
nabbed them. They're great. They have a 5+" opening with a 4+"
depth, and at 21" long, they have a good grip. I used them once to
press a small u-joint together.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I've got some companion stuff for holding parts into a fire, and pulling
junk out of drains. I think it's a sears brand without the lifetime
warranty.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

My only pair of authentic Channellock pliers (#484 I think) are 4.625"
long, have a capacity of 1/2", and depth of 3/8". Of course I have
several pairs of larger, knock off, slip joint pliers which I use
regularly, but the little Chanellocks reside on my desk and heaven
help any son who tries to borrow them.
I also have a knock off Crescent wrench, 2 11/16" long, 3/8"
capacity; and a "Monkey wrench" 1 5/8" long, capacity 3/16". Both of
these are key chain tools that I inherited from a former landlady from
whom I rented her sewing room plus single bed for ~12 years while I
worked out of regional office. The guys in the office maintaned that I
managed to stay in "travel status" for the entire time - there were
times I didn't sleep in my rented room for six months.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Channellock has some real cute "ignition pliers", for
playing with spark plugs or something like that. They have the real slip
joint and all.

http://parnass.com/images/gripping-tools.jpg

I kind of want those Knipex ones now too. I have the little vise-grips.

I must admit, if there's pliers in the back pocket, it's a pair of Knipex
pump pliers with the pushbotton size adjustment. They fit in tigher places
than the channellocks ever could.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Were they -usable-key chain tools? 99.9999% aren't. Or are tough
enough to use only on large jobs, like changing eyeglass nosepieces.
Speaking of which, I broke one of my nose pads and bought a
replacement pair at Wally World for $2.99. I then came home and
installed them, and ordered 50 more pair from China for $0.99,
including shipping. Wally used to install them free after giving them
to you, but that has stopped.

worked out of regional office. The guys in the office maintaned that I
managed to stay in "travel status" for the entire time - there were
times I didn't sleep in my rented room for six months.

Heck of a way to make a living. Condolences. Flying around/screwing
with your Circadian rhythm/living out of a suitcase can be hard. I
tried it once and didn't like it.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Basically that was how I spent my working life, on several occasions I
did manage to take the family along for the summer; my expense account
covered campground fees, meals at the job, beer in the fridge plus
about $50/week spending money for SWMBO. For this, I was on the job by
5 AM and one day I got back to the campground just before midnight,
plus everyone knew how to find me, if neccessary, at 0300 sunday
morning.
I still hate eating in resaurants, I often threaten to walk into one
and order a plate of fried sawdust.
Retieing at 55yrs old with 50% pension was the best move I could have
made.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Egad, you made the best out of the worst of all worlds. Congrats.
Enjoy your retirement, Gerry. You've definitely earned it.

I still hate eating in resaurants, I often threaten to walk into one
and order a plate of fried sawdust.

Don't worry, the waitresses will know which dishes taste like that and
they'll serve 'em up right quick. gag

Retieing at 55yrs old with 50% pension was the best move I could have
made.

ABSOLUTELY! g

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I think flax seed dishes are about the next best thing.