Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving Bridgeport

I only want to move it 100', is there any reason not to lift and carry
it by the ram with a forklift? It' a 2-hp 42" table variable speed, I
forget the model.

I want to move it closer to the rest of the machine shop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-27, Tom Gardner wrote:
I only want to move it 100', is there any reason not to lift and carry
it by the ram with a forklift? It' a 2-hp 42" table variable speed, I
forget the model.

I want to move it closer to the rest of the machine shop.

Yes, by the ram, and put 2x4s between forks and the ram to prevent
scratching or slippage. This is how they are moved.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-27, Tom Gardner wrote:
I only want to move it 100', is there any reason not to lift and carry
it by the ram with a forklift? It' a 2-hp 42" table variable speed, I
forget the model.

I want to move it closer to the rest of the machine shop.

Yes, by the ram, and put 2x4s between forks and the ram to prevent
scratching or slippage. This is how they are moved.

When I bought this one @5 years ago, Roger lifted/moved it from
underneath and DROPPED IT! $500 in parts from Gunner's buddy and bent
lead screws...so, I needed to make sure. Thanks1
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:54:59 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I only want to move it 100', is there any reason not to lift and carry
it by the ram with a forklift? It' a 2-hp 42" table variable speed, I
forget the model.

I want to move it closer to the rest of the machine shop.

Everybody lifts em with a forklift under the ram. Put a 2x4 under the
front and another on the fork under the back along with an additional
3/4" piece as it will be just a trifle table heavy. Crank the table
to center and crank it into the column as far as it will go and
vioila..they move easily. Just go slow and tilt the forks UP just a
smidge past level and go.

Ive moved literally hundreds this way with no issues. Just dont slam
on the brakes and only lift it so it isnt dragging the ground plus a
RCH and you will be fine

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner fired this volley in news:ma8ft2$ug1$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I only want to move it 100', is there any reason not to lift and carry
it by the ram with a forklift? It' a 2-hp 42" table variable speed, I
forget the model.

I want to move it closer to the rest of the machine shop.

Ig said it right, but take advantage of any drafts in the ram, if you have
them. When we moved my R2E4, the rigger slipped a Kevlar sling through the
ram via the wiring drafts, and moved it like a child's toy. We did this on
both ends of the 100-mile jaunt, and the machine suffered no damage.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-27, Tom Gardner wrote:
I only want to move it 100', is there any reason not to lift and carry
it by the ram with a forklift? It' a 2-hp 42" table variable speed, I
forget the model.

I want to move it closer to the rest of the machine shop.

Yes, by the ram, and put 2x4s between forks and the ram to prevent
scratching or slippage. This is how they are moved.

When I bought this one @5 years ago, Roger lifted/moved it from
underneath and DROPPED IT! $500 in parts from Gunner's buddy and bent
lead screws...so, I needed to make sure. Thanks1

Is Roger now Rogeretta? You didn't require it to be rigged TO the
forklift, too, in case it shifted?!

--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:23:32 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Just dont slamvon the brakes and only lift it so it isnt dragging the ground plus a
RCH and you will be fine

Rev it up, git 'er moving, hit the brakes, and go Bowling for Dollars?

--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-27, Tom Gardner wrote:
I only want to move it 100', is there any reason not to lift and carry
it by the ram with a forklift? It' a 2-hp 42" table variable speed, I
forget the model.

I want to move it closer to the rest of the machine shop.

Yes, by the ram, and put 2x4s between forks and the ram to prevent
scratching or slippage. This is how they are moved.

When I bought this one @5 years ago, Roger lifted/moved it from
underneath and DROPPED IT! $500 in parts from Gunner's buddy and bent
lead screws...so, I needed to make sure. Thanks1

Is Roger now Rogeretta? You didn't require it to be rigged TO the
forklift, too, in case it shifted?!

--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle

I've almost killed him a number of times.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I only want to move it 100', is there any reason not to lift and carry
it by the ram with a forklift? It' a 2-hp 42" table variable speed, I
forget the model.

I want to move it closer to the rest of the machine shop.

Everybody lifts em with a forklift under the ram. Put a 2x4 under the
front and another on the fork under the back along with an additional
3/4" piece as it will be just a trifle table heavy. Crank the table
to center and crank it into the column as far as it will go and
vioila..they move easily. Just go slow and tilt the forks UP just a
smidge past level and go.

Ive moved literally hundreds this way with no issues. Just dont slam
on the brakes and only lift it so it isnt dragging the ground plus a
RCH and you will be fine

PJ O'Rourke

As long as Roger doesn't drop it again, I doubt your friend had the
parts I'd need again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just dont slamvon the brakes and only lift it so it isnt dragging the ground plus a
RCH and you will be fine

Rev it up, git 'er moving, hit the brakes, and go Bowling for Dollars?

When a Bridgeport falls over..it simply makes a loud THUD with
overtones of breaking cast iron. Not much of an event unless you own
the machine.

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He has lots more BPs these days. Lots of parts on hand.

Shrug

PJ O'Rourke