Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Volstro speed increaser

I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well
2) What kind of grease should I use in it
3) How should I hold steady the arm to be safe? What is the right way
to do it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:19:19 PM UTC-8, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well
2) What kind of grease should I use in it
3) How should I hold steady the arm to be safe? What is the right way
to do it?

"How should I hold steady the arm to be safe? What is the right way
to do it?"

By now this is the kind of very simple mechanical issue you should be able to solve on your own.

You can't picture in your mind good mag base holding a rod?

Why don't you pick up a book like this and finally get some clues? It has a lot of pictures so you should be able to grasp the excellent advise given.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mach...=9780831132279

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well

I don't know. What gear ratio and what condition is it in?

2) What kind of grease should I use in it

Grease? If you are increasing the spindle speed, I would expect
an oil -- and hopefully the proper oil is listed on the label. If not,
download the manual from somewhere.

3) How should I hold steady the arm to be safe? What is the right way
to do it?

A vertical bar in a holder on the head casting -- looks like it
was designed for a dial indicator or something -- but if it is there,
use it.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well

I don't know. What gear ratio and what condition is it in?

1:6, it is smooth

2) What kind of grease should I use in it

Grease? If you are increasing the spindle speed, I would expect
an oil -- and hopefully the proper oil is listed on the label. If not,
download the manual from somewhere.

There is a great fitting on it

3) How should I hold steady the arm to be safe? What is the right way
to do it?

A vertical bar in a holder on the head casting -- looks like it
was designed for a dial indicator or something -- but if it is there,
use it.

OK, I will try, thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930
wrote:
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well

I don't know. What gear ratio and what condition is it in?

1:6, it is smooth

Smooth at hand speeds isn't necessarily smooth at high speed. You will not
know for sure until you spin it up.

2) What kind of grease should I use in it

Grease? If you are increasing the spindle speed, I would expect
an oil -- and hopefully the proper oil is listed on the label. If not,
download the manual from somewhere.

There is a great fitting on it

Is it a great grease fitting, or just an overall exceptional fitting? There
are high speed bearing greases for the kind of speed and forces in these
increasers. Most are quite expensive. Since my speed increaser does not
have a grease fitting I had to open it up and grease the bearings and
planetary gears by hand. Since the grease I used didn't come in a grease
gun cartridge I guess that was ok for me.

3) How should I hold steady the arm to be safe? What is the right way
to do it?

A vertical bar in a holder on the head casting -- looks like it
was designed for a dial indicator or something -- but if it is there,
use it.

OK, I will try, thanks

I had already installed a vertical bar on my mill for adjusting my coolant
sprayer manifold up and down. I just adjusted the bar down further and slid
the coolant manifold up to clear. The stop rod on the increaser rides up
and down along it nicely with one minor problem. On stop and start up it
swings back and forth, and because when using it for modestly heavy cuts
approaching measurable fractional horsepower the rod bounces back and forth
a little bit. I forget if it was on stop or start, but the swing was enough
to knock my locline coolant nozzles of the manifold. Even lesser swing
would knock them out of position. I found loosely wrapping a bungee cord
around the stop rod and the vertical rod so it was contained, but could
still slide up and down easily did the trick. If I used it all the time I
might be tempted to install a second vertical rod and trap the stop rod
between the two.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:39:37 -0600, Ignoramus15930

On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well

I don't know. What gear ratio and what condition is it in?

1:6, it is smooth

2) What kind of grease should I use in it

Grease? If you are increasing the spindle speed, I would expect
an oil -- and hopefully the proper oil is listed on the label. If not,
download the manual from somewhere.

There is a great fitting on it

A Zerk (grease) fitting doesn't necessarily mean "grease me." You need
only look as far as a Bridgeport table without a central lubricator to
see "grease" fittings that should be oiled and never greased.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
[...]

iggy is a scrap dealer for a reason.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930
wrote:
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well

I don't know. What gear ratio and what condition is it in?

1:6, it is smooth

Smooth at hand speeds isn't necessarily smooth at high speed. You will not
know for sure until you spin it up.

Right

2) What kind of grease should I use in it

Grease? If you are increasing the spindle speed, I would expect
an oil -- and hopefully the proper oil is listed on the label. If not,
download the manual from somewhere.

There is a great fitting on it

Sorry, misspeleed grease fitting

Is it a great grease fitting, or just an overall exceptional
fitting? There are high speed bearing greases for the kind of speed
and forces in these increasers. Most are quite expensive. Since my
speed increaser does not have a grease fitting I had to open it up
and grease the bearings and planetary gears by hand. Since the
grease I used didn't come in a grease gun cartridge I guess that was
ok for me.

OK

[...]

OK, I think that I get it, I will install something, I already have a
christmas tree of coolant fittings mounted on the quill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well

I don't know. What gear ratio and what condition is it in?

1:6, it is smooth

Sounds nice!

2) What kind of grease should I use in it

Grease? If you are increasing the spindle speed, I would expect
an oil -- and hopefully the proper oil is listed on the label. If not,
download the manual from somewhere.

There is a great fitting on it

You mean "grease fitting"? Done in by a spelling checker? :-)

But certain quality machine tools (e.g. Deckel, IIRC) have
grease fittings for oil.

Download and print out the manual and *check*. Grease in a
step-up gearing setup is likely to bind it up. Let's see 6:1, and on a
Bridgeport, which likely already reaches 2000 RPM, so 12000 RPM with
grease -- that scares me. :-)

3) How should I hold steady the arm to be safe? What is the right way
to do it?

A vertical bar in a holder on the head casting -- looks like it
was designed for a dial indicator or something -- but if it is there,
use it.

OK, I will try, thanks

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
[...]

Exactly. I have surface grinders the same size that are oil-Zerks. The
trick is to find an oiler that has or could have a zerks fitting.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy-That thing is a piece of crap. You should just dump it. Since you gave me a good deal on a Procunier tapping head a while ago I think I should return the favor.
So to make disposal easier I will send fifteen bucks to cover shipping. Put the piece of garbage in a flat rate box. Since I trust you I will send the fifteen bucks now
Because I know you will ship it. Don't delay, I just took the garbage out today so you have only a couple days if you want it to go out with the next garbage.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy-If you want to put Jon in the box I will put him in the garbage too. Just pack the piece of **** into the smallest box possible. Don't worry about the extra weight.
I heard that the USPS is sick and tired of the piece of **** too and is offering reduced shipping. Make sure to wrap him well so that he doesn't stink up the post office.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 11:44:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Iggy-If you want to put Jon in the box I will put him in the garbage too. Just pack the piece of **** into the smallest box possible. Don't worry about the extra weight.
I heard that the USPS is sick and tired of the piece of **** too and is offering reduced shipping. Make sure to wrap him well so that he doesn't stink up the post office.
Eric

Sit down and shut up you anonymous posting pussy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9 Jan 2015 02:37:31 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

There is a great fitting on it

You mean "grease fitting"? Done in by a spelling checker? :-)

But certain quality machine tools (e.g. Deckel, IIRC) have
grease fittings for oil.

Generally grease fittings have a bulb end with a smaller diameter
between it and the threaded end so the end of the grease gun nozzle
will "clamp" on it.

Oil fittings will look very very similar..but generally not have a
reduction in size between the end and thread.

The oil dispenser simply butts up against the end of it and as you
push the end of it..it feeds oil into it.

A young fellow I know filled the spindle bearings of a German second
ops lathe with grease while cursing the **** poor design of the
fittings. I er..."he" had to drill a hole in the headstock to let the
LARGE amount of oil thinned grease piddle out over the next 8
yrs...with lots of oil pumped into it during that time to thin out the
grease.

But it was...very good grease.

Sigh

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
[...]

This is the type of oil gun you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP-Reilang-0...-/201253137581

This one will do both types..the common depressed dimple with the ball
bearing in the bottom as found on most US/UK machines and the opposite
type with the Almost grease zerk looking oil fitting.

Ive searched high and low for these and after 15 or more years..now
have 4 of them in the shop set up for both types of oil fittings.

Some of them are dimple only, others are "zerk" only...the Reiland
does both (as well as some other manufactures guns)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-08, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
[...]

Egad, the price! What's that, $20 an inch?
http://tinyurl.com/nrozgo2 Will either of these work? g
http://tinyurl.com/ndwhhxx

This one will do both types..the common depressed dimple with the ball
bearing in the bottom as found on most US/UK machines and the opposite
type with the Almost grease zerk looking oil fitting.

Ive searched high and low for these and after 15 or more years..now
have 4 of them in the shop set up for both types of oil fittings.

Some of them are dimple only, others are "zerk" only...the Reiland
does both (as well as some other manufactures guns)

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 23:07:00 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
This is the type of oil gun you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP-Reilang-0...-/201253137581

Egad, the price! What's that, $20 an inch?
http://tinyurl.com/nrozgo2 Will either of these work? g
http://tinyurl.com/ndwhhxx

You use to be able to get the second one at Harbor Freight. Item number
36629. Don't see it on their website anymore. Might get lucky and
find some old stock at your store yet...

You have to really snug down the spout to keep it from leaking at the
crummy gasket. I'll try making a replacement gasket or try an o-ring
someday. Works okay for the little ball oilers on my 9x20 lathe.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 14:59:51 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 23:07:00 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
This is the type of oil gun you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP-Reilang-0...-/201253137581

Egad, the price! What's that, $20 an inch?
http://tinyurl.com/nrozgo2 Will either of these work? g
http://tinyurl.com/ndwhhxx

You use to be able to get the second one at Harbor Freight. Item number
36629. Don't see it on their website anymore. Might get lucky and
find some old stock at your store yet...

You have to really snug down the spout to keep it from leaking at the
crummy gasket. I'll try making a replacement gasket or try an o-ring
someday. Works okay for the little ball oilers on my 9x20 lathe.

I use a piece of bicycle innertube rubber with a hole punched in it. I
put the rubber over the spout of my pump-type oil can, centering the
hole over the hole in the spout; push it up against the oil fitting on
the lathe; and pump away.

It's a little sloppy but it works, it's easy, and it's cheap.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 23:07:00 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
[...]

On the HF Pump the spout is maybe 3 inches long and screws into the
rest of the pump. If you look at Larry's link/image
http://tinyurl.com/ndwhhxx this is where the yellow part attaches to
the black part. There is a small gasket there, typical chinese junk.
When you jam the spout into an oiler fitting like on a lathe, build up
some pressure, it wants to leak at that point...

I bought three of them, two in use and all of them have the same crummy
gasket.

Now some bicycle inner-tube material would probably be an excellent
replacement gasket for that spot ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 23:07:00 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
[...]

I try not to use tools of that type that are less than 60 years old.
They usually work better.

However, I bought my all-steel oil pump when I was about 16, so it's
only 50. It doesn't leak, but 60 would have been better. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What kind of grease did you use for this Volstro speed increaser?