Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Volstro speed increaser

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 19:56:56 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 22:34:26 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

On 1/8/2015 2:05 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:39:37 -0600, Ignoramus15930

On 2015-01-08, Ignoramus15930 wrote:
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture
he

http://goo.gl/6VPlgX

It has a straight 3/4" shank.

What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact
CNC mill for high speed work with spamm cutters.

1) Is it going to work well

I don't know. What gear ratio and what condition is it in?

1:6, it is smooth

2) What kind of grease should I use in it

Grease? If you are increasing the spindle speed, I would expect
an oil -- and hopefully the proper oil is listed on the label. If not,
download the manual from somewhere.

There is a great fitting on it

A Zerk (grease) fitting doesn't necessarily mean "grease me." You need
only look as far as a Bridgeport table without a central lubricator to
see "grease" fittings that should be oiled and never greased.

Exactly. I have surface grinders the same size that are oil-Zerks. The
trick is to find an oiler that has or could have a zerks fitting.

Martin

This is the type of oil gun you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP-Reilang-0...-/201253137581

Egad, the price! What's that, $20 an inch?
http://tinyurl.com/nrozgo2 Will either of these work? g
http://tinyurl.com/ndwhhxx

This one will do both types..the common depressed dimple with the ball
bearing in the bottom as found on most US/UK machines and the opposite
type with the Almost grease zerk looking oil fitting.

Ive searched high and low for these and after 15 or more years..now
have 4 of them in the shop set up for both types of oil fittings.

Some of them are dimple only, others are "zerk" only...the Reiland
does both (as well as some other manufactures guns)

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca