Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Estimating weight of overhead cranes

I do not have a lot of experience dealing with overhead cranes. I need
to have an approximate idea of how much a bridge crane (just the
bridge unit, not the rails) would weigh, given span and capacity.

The present case is a 10 ton, 50' long bridge crane weighs. I already
bought it, it is disassembled, but I need to figure out the weight for
transportation purposes.

What I bought is actually a complete gantry system that is shaped as a
lowercase 'r'. It has one traveling leg on one side only, and the
other side rides on elevated rails. I bought it including stationary
columns, top rails, the traveling column etc. Paid 1,700.

But at this time I am mostly concerned with figuring out the weight of
the bridge. Again, it is 10 ton capacity and 50 feet long.

Any clue what it may weigh?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

I do not have a lot of experience dealing with overhead cranes. I need
to have an approximate idea of how much a bridge crane (just the
bridge unit, not the rails) would weigh, given span and capacity.

The present case is a 10 ton, 50' long bridge crane weighs. I already
bought it, it is disassembled, but I need to figure out the weight for
transportation purposes.

What I bought is actually a complete gantry system that is shaped as a
lowercase 'r'. It has one traveling leg on one side only, and the
other side rides on elevated rails. I bought it including stationary
columns, top rails, the traveling column etc. Paid 1,700.

But at this time I am mostly concerned with figuring out the weight of
the bridge. Again, it is 10 ton capacity and 50 feet long.

Any clue what it may weigh?

thanks

Since these things are predominantly made of standard structural steel
components, a bit of measuring and comparing to specs in a structural
steel chart should tell you the weight per foot for the materials and a
bit of calculating for the total.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-12-03, Ignoramus16418 wrote:
I do not have a lot of experience dealing with overhead cranes. I need
to have an approximate idea of how much a bridge crane (just the
bridge unit, not the rails) would weigh, given span and capacity.

Here are the pictures, you can open then in separate tabs to see more
detail, they are actually quite detailed.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/...section=photos

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-12-03, Ignoramus16418 wrote:
I do not have a lot of experience dealing with overhead cranes. I need
to have an approximate idea of how much a bridge crane (just the
bridge unit, not the rails) would weigh, given span and capacity.

Here are the pictures, you can open then in separate tabs to see more
detail, they are actually quite detailed.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/...section=photos

And look specifically at the last picture, all the yellow stuff in it
is mine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-12-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

[...]

Thanks. It makes sense. The problem is this. It is 2.5 hours away from
me. I have to tell my driver how much of it to pick up without ending
up overweight.

Look at this picture to get an idea. You can kind of figure out the
size, the main bridge (top part of the picture) is exactly 50 feet
long and about 48" high.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://goo.gl/UKuXgL

You can kind of figure out the
size, the main bridge (top part of the picture) is exactly 50 feet
long and about 48" high.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:58:03 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus16418 wrote:

But at this time I am mostly concerned with figuring out the weight of
the bridge. Again, it is 10 ton capacity and 50 feet long.

Any clue what it may weigh?

thanks

Since these things are predominantly made of standard structural steel
components, a bit of measuring and comparing to specs in a structural
steel chart should tell you the weight per foot for the materials and a
bit of calculating for the total.

Thanks. It makes sense. The problem is this. It is 2.5 hours away from
me. I have to tell my driver how much of it to pick up without ending
up overweight.

Look at this picture to get an idea. You can kind of figure out the
size, the main bridge (top part of the picture) is exactly 50 feet
long and about 48" high.

I assume you have actually seen the crane in person. So you are wanting people that have never seen the crane to give you a better estimate than you can generate.

However I understand that portable truck scales are made ( just like the ones the highway patrol will have ) and they might be something that you could use.
Sorry I have no idea of the cost or the manufacturer.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:43:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Since these things are predominantly made of standard structural steel
components, a bit of measuring and comparing to specs in a structural
steel chart should tell you the weight per foot for the materials and a
bit of calculating for the total.

Thanks. It makes sense. The problem is this. It is 2.5 hours away from
me. I have to tell my driver how much of it to pick up without ending
up overweight.

Another thought. You could give your driver copies of the pages showing standard structural steel components, a tape measure , and a calculator. He should be able to come up with a fairly good estimate. Well maybe you should also give him a cell phone too so he can consult with you while he is looking at the crane.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

On 2014-12-03, wrote:
[...]

I have not seen it.

That's the problem.

I also want to be able to estimate weights of cranes that are still up
in the air.

However I understand that portable truck scales are made ( just like
the ones the highway patrol will have ) and they might be something
that you could use. Sorry I have no idea of the cost or the
manufacturer.

Yes, good point.

I believe there is some setup for semis that can give you a reasonable
load weight reading from the pressures in the air suspension. Not truck
scale accuracy, but close enough to keep you out of trouble I think. You
can probably find info on them and hack together your own variant of it.

It wouldn't hurt to give your driver a structural steel book, some
calipers and a tape measure. Not that difficult to measure say I beam
width, height, flange and web thickness and look in the book to find the
pounds per foot, then multiply by the length and get a pretty accurate
weight on the piece you are getting ready to load onto the truck. You
could probably use your programming skills to make a nice smartphone /
tablet app to do this and perhaps even make some money selling the app.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

On 2014-12-03, wrote:
[...]

Thiis is interesting. Both the truck, as well as a couple of my
trailers, have air ride suspension. I think that the pressure in the
suspension bags is directly proportional to the weight. I think that
all I need to do, is install pressure gauges connected to the bags,
and have a conversion table, and I am done!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 18:43:53 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Frankly...I dont understand why your guy doesnt have one of these on
the truck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chatillon-20...-/141490523980

Chain it to the piece of work in question, pick it up with the
forklift a few inches..voila...you have the weight.

They are called Hanging Crane Scales and there are many many of them
on Ebay

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 18:51:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:43:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Since these things are predominantly made of standard structural steel
components, a bit of measuring and comparing to specs in a structural
steel chart should tell you the weight per foot for the materials and a
bit of calculating for the total.

Thanks. It makes sense. The problem is this. It is 2.5 hours away from
me. I have to tell my driver how much of it to pick up without ending
up overweight.

Another thought. You could give your driver copies of the pages showing standard structural steel components, a tape measure , and a calculator. He should be able to come up with a fairly good estimate. Well maybe you should also give him a cell phone too so he can consult with you while he is looking at the crane.

Dan

The next question Id ask..is how do the cops weigh the trucks in
question?

Then hunt down a set of the scales they use and learn to use them

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

On 2014-12-03, wrote:
[...]

Too simple. Try a Raspberry Pi or similar with some pressure sensors and
a correction table to give a nice readout. Spend some time calibrating
by loading known weights and you should be good. Put a magnetic back on
the display unit so you can stick it to the back of the cab when loading
and have the LCD display change color to yellow then red as you get to
overweight so you can easily see from the forklift. Have calibrations
for each trailer you can easily select, a deduction for the forklift
weight if you need to load that before leaving, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

[...]

I think you can identify the weight per foot from the style (I, WF),
height and web thickness. In my old AISC Manual of Steel Construction
the easily measured web thickness increases with the weight per foot.
The web thickness and flange width increase by the same amount as the
weight per foot increases, supporting the story I've heard that the
mill sets the weight by varying the roller spacing. The height or
"depth" also increases, making the flamges thicker, but you can't
measure it with pocket-sized tools like a mike or 6" dial caliper.
This shows the roller setup:
http://www.steelconstruction.info/St...ction_products

A plate 1" thick and 12" square weighs ~40 lbs, or 5 lbs for each 1/8"
of thickness.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus16418" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

I don't do anywhere near the heavy rigging that you do, so this very
portable 10,000 Lb hydraulic load cell is enough to weigh anything I
might want to lift. I paid $60 for it
http://www.rwelectrodes.com/10000-LB...p/601-8100.htm

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

On 2014-12-03, wrote:
[...]

Actually, rwls.com seems to have some pretty good digital gauges at
reasonable prices. Probably easier to just buy and install vs. hack your
own. 202-DDG-02 looks pretty nice for $500
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-12-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

On 2014-12-03, wrote:
[...]

You just need a regular PSI gauge, and a conversion table.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:41:25 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus976 wrote:

For example, say, I can ask a question, "find the weight of an optimal
I-Beam that would support a given weight and span a given distance".

That is a reasonable start, but it does not account for the safety factor. I would not be surprised if the rated weight is one third of the weight that would cause failure.

Dan

I will dig a little to get an answer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-12-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus16418 wrote:

On 2014-12-03, wrote:
[...]

Yes, technically, but that unit is far more refined and easy to use.
It's also cheap compared to your other operating costs related to a semi
and certainly any overweight fines.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2014-12-03, Pete wrote:

[...]

Are they really 100% air-supported? I don't know they're not; just
thought there would be a separate parallel mechanical support path as
well...altho I guess it only changes the proportionality constant unless
it's nonlinear. Which could still calibrate albeit not with single
constant.

The grain trailers here nor the tractor aren't so don't have a comparison...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

Proportional enough that there are commercial load scale products for
it. The RWLS stuff says it reads to 100# increments which isn't bad vs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2014-12-03, Pete wrote:

[...]

That doesn't say anything about what the calibration curve actually
looks like, though...can calibrate a very nonlinear response as noted
above...

Takedown of overhead bridge cranes Ignoramus3507 Metalworking 5 November 5th 14 04:04 PM
Weight of slate roof versus weight of cement tile roof replacement? N_Cook UK diy 10 October 1st 10 07:22 PM
need help estimating weight of blanket chest top bf Woodworking 23 November 11th 06 01:00 PM
Totally OT Cranes John UK diy 83 July 6th 05 09:42 PM
Shop Cranes: I'll show you mine if you show me yours... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 4 March 3rd 05 12:08 AM