Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Estimating weight of overhead cranes

On 2014-12-04, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:41:25 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus976 wrote:

For example, say, I can ask a question, "find the weight of an optimal
I-Beam that would support a given weight and span a given distance".

That is a reasonable start, but it does not account for the safety
factor. I would not be surprised if the rated weight is one third
of the weight that would cause failure.

Dan, the point is, this method lets me compare weights. If I know a
weight of one comparable crane, even of different capacity and span, I
can extrapolate.

I think you would have a better estimate if you made your best guess as to the standard structural steel used in the beam and calculated from there. If I recall correctly cranes used to lift explosives had a larger safety factor than cranes used for non explosive components.

Dan