Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Estimating weight of overhead cranes

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 18:43:53 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:58:03 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus16418 wrote:

But at this time I am mostly concerned with figuring out the weight of
the bridge. Again, it is 10 ton capacity and 50 feet long.

Any clue what it may weigh?

thanks

Since these things are predominantly made of standard structural steel
components, a bit of measuring and comparing to specs in a structural
steel chart should tell you the weight per foot for the materials and a
bit of calculating for the total.

Thanks. It makes sense. The problem is this. It is 2.5 hours away from
me. I have to tell my driver how much of it to pick up without ending
up overweight.

Look at this picture to get an idea. You can kind of figure out the
size, the main bridge (top part of the picture) is exactly 50 feet
long and about 48" high.

I assume you have actually seen the crane in person. So you are wanting people that have never seen the crane to give you a better estimate than you can generate.

However I understand that portable truck scales are made ( just like the ones the highway patrol will have ) and they might be something that you could use.
Sorry I have no idea of the cost or the manufacturer.

Dan

Frankly...I dont understand why your guy doesnt have one of these on
the truck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chatillon-20...-/141490523980

Chain it to the piece of work in question, pick it up with the
forklift a few inches..voila...you have the weight.

They are called Hanging Crane Scales and there are many many of them
on Ebay

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke