Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16418 Ignoramus16418 is offline

Default Estimating weight of overhead cranes

On 2014-12-03, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:58:03 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus16418 wrote:

But at this time I am mostly concerned with figuring out the weight of
the bridge. Again, it is 10 ton capacity and 50 feet long.

Any clue what it may weigh?

thanks

Since these things are predominantly made of standard structural steel
components, a bit of measuring and comparing to specs in a structural
steel chart should tell you the weight per foot for the materials and a
bit of calculating for the total.

Thanks. It makes sense. The problem is this. It is 2.5 hours away from
me. I have to tell my driver how much of it to pick up without ending
up overweight.

Look at this picture to get an idea. You can kind of figure out the
size, the main bridge (top part of the picture) is exactly 50 feet
long and about 48" high.

I assume you have actually seen the crane in person. So you are
wanting people that have never seen the crane to give you a better
estimate than you can generate.

I have not seen it.

That's the problem.

I also want to be able to estimate weights of cranes that are still up
in the air.

However I understand that portable truck scales are made ( just like
the ones the highway patrol will have ) and they might be something
that you could use. Sorry I have no idea of the cost or the
manufacturer.

Yes, good point.

I believe there is some setup for semis that can give you a reasonable
load weight reading from the pressures in the air suspension. Not truck
scale accuracy, but close enough to keep you out of trouble I think. You
can probably find info on them and hack together your own variant of it.

It wouldn't hurt to give your driver a structural steel book, some
calipers and a tape measure. Not that difficult to measure say I beam
width, height, flange and web thickness and look in the book to find the
pounds per foot, then multiply by the length and get a pretty accurate
weight on the piece you are getting ready to load onto the truck. You
could probably use your programming skills to make a nice smartphone /
tablet app to do this and perhaps even make some money selling the app.

Thiis is interesting. Both the truck, as well as a couple of my
trailers, have air ride suspension. I think that the pressure in the
suspension bags is directly proportional to the weight. I think that
all I need to do, is install pressure gauges connected to the bags,
and have a conversion table, and I am done!