Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Woodcraft - Vendor

I need a few cast iron saw extensions for a project. The SawStop ones claim
to be ground to within .0001. (I will be surprised if they really are, but
very pleased.)

Rockler has them for less, but after the heavy freight charge they are much
more expensive to my door.

Woodcraft shows basic shipping as free saving substantially on the net cost.
Other than the 7-10 day lead time per Woodcraft are there any issues with
Woodcraft?

FYI: This is for a metalworking project.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/21/2014 11:47 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I need a few cast iron saw extensions for a project. The SawStop ones
claim to be ground to within .0001. (I will be surprised if they really
are, but very pleased.)

Rockler has them for less, but after the heavy freight charge they are
much more expensive to my door.

Woodcraft shows basic shipping as free saving substantially on the net
cost. Other than the 7-10 day lead time per Woodcraft are there any
issues with Woodcraft?

FYI: This is for a metalworking project.

Answered in the wrec...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:47:20 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I need a few cast iron saw extensions for a project. The SawStop ones claim
to be ground to within .0001. (I will be surprised if they really are, but
very pleased.)

Rockler has them for less, but after the heavy freight charge they are much
more expensive to my door.

Woodcraft shows basic shipping as free saving substantially on the net cost.
Other than the 7-10 day lead time per Woodcraft are there any issues with
Woodcraft?

FYI: This is for a metalworking project.

I've been pleased with the store and personnel at the one near me
(Austin).

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need a few cast iron saw extensions for a project. The SawStop ones claim
to be ground to within .0001. (I will be surprised if they really are, but
very pleased.)

Rockler has them for less, but after the heavy freight charge they are much
more expensive to my door.

Woodcraft shows basic shipping as free saving substantially on the net cost.
Other than the 7-10 day lead time per Woodcraft are there any issues with
Woodcraft?

FYI: This is for a metalworking project.

As an alternative thought...give Leigh Knudson as MarMachine a call
and see what he has. He purchased a ****load of NOS table saw carts
with wheels still in the boxes and I believe there were a number of
table extensions as well.

949-294=2171

http://www.ebay.com/sch/catruckman$aol-com/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Or check ebay....or..built your own

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Mac...-/161489641464

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That would be a great idea for a saw, but I want the claimed precision (or
atleast close) of the SawStop leaves in particular as these are part of
metal cutting machine build. If it works, and the leaves are consistent
I'll probably build a couple more. I'll want parts I can buy consistently,
so I can service the machines easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:33:29 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

That would be a great idea for a saw, but I want the claimed precision (or
atleast close) of the SawStop leaves in particular as these are part of
metal cutting machine build. If it works, and the leaves are consistent
I'll probably build a couple more. I'll want parts I can buy consistently,
so I can service the machines easily.

The .0001 flatness spec is either a typo or creative marketing (flat
within .0001 per inch perhaps?). As a point of comparison, a lab grade
surface plate is only slightly better, and a grade A is less flat.

These folks can do .001/foot for reasonable money in either stress
relieved steel or cast iron.
http://www.americangrinding.com/

I recently had 6 cast iron plates about 12 x 18 x 1.25 ground flat on
both sides to .001/foot. Cost was less than $200 each, including
material.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That would be a great idea for a saw, but I want the claimed precision (or
atleast close) of the SawStop leaves in particular as these are part of
metal cutting machine build. If it works, and the leaves are consistent
I'll probably build a couple more. I'll want parts I can buy
consistently,
so I can service the machines easily.

The .0001 flatness spec is either a typo or creative marketing (flat
within .0001 per inch perhaps?). As a point of comparison, a lab grade
surface plate is only slightly better, and a grade A is less flat.

I figure if I can lay the edge of one on the flat of the other and not slide
a .002 feeler gage or shim stock under it anywhere I'll be more than able to
build the machine to do what I want. If I can, atleast I'll have some cast
iron to start with. Used pieces whether from a dealer or from Ebay would
certainly not have any means of assuring any level of consistency. I should
have known better than to assume nobody on this group would look up the
piece of material. LOL.

These folks can do .001/foot for reasonable money in either stress
relieved steel or cast iron.
http://www.americangrinding.com/

I recently had 6 cast iron plates about 12 x 18 x 1.25 ground flat on
both sides to .001/foot. Cost was less than $200 each, including
material.

I don't get it. Its like I am in a black hole for materials here. I can't
get any materials locally for a reasonable price, and freight kills on most.
For the aluminum pieces I use to cut molds I can get them shipped from the
other side of the country pre-cut to rough dimension cheaper than I can buy
them locally or even on the west coast. My regular east coast vendor even
always cuts long on the length dimension knowing I cut down to a particular
size. I can't even get drops locally for the same price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 16:29:06 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I purchased the cast iron from Dura-Bar, American Grinding picked it
up, finished it, then shipped it from Chicago to my customer here in
Maine. $120/piece for the material + $50/pc for grinding. My customer
paid the freight on their account, but it was probably around $200.

Despite the distance, I've been doing business with American Grinding
for many years and have always been treated well. This was the first
time getting material from Dura-Bar and having it finished by American
Grinding, but it was also a positive experience.

By the way, the plates were slices cut off a 14x21 bar. They carry
bars up to 16x24.
http://www.dura-barms.com/resources/...le&pageid=4937

--
Ned Simmons

VFD vendor? Winston Metalworking 25 May 24th 09 05:07 PM
Crappy vendor Lord Garth Electronic Schematics 13 March 14th 08 04:04 AM
Vendor recommendation jo4hn Woodworking 0 January 16th 08 05:44 AM
Vendor question Snag Metalworking 5 November 25th 07 07:05 PM
Re-considering my vendor options Bill in Detroit Woodturning 0 January 20th 07 04:44 AM