Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Woodcraft - Vendor

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:33:29 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

That would be a great idea for a saw, but I want the claimed precision (or
atleast close) of the SawStop leaves in particular as these are part of
metal cutting machine build. If it works, and the leaves are consistent
I'll probably build a couple more. I'll want parts I can buy consistently,
so I can service the machines easily.

The .0001 flatness spec is either a typo or creative marketing (flat
within .0001 per inch perhaps?). As a point of comparison, a lab grade
surface plate is only slightly better, and a grade A is less flat.

These folks can do .001/foot for reasonable money in either stress
relieved steel or cast iron.
http://www.americangrinding.com/

I recently had 6 cast iron plates about 12 x 18 x 1.25 ground flat on
both sides to .001/foot. Cost was less than $200 each, including
material.

--
Ned Simmons