Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Man killed by falling tape measure at construction site

On 08/11/14 22:28, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 17:25:43 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 14:06:22 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 00:48:07 +0100 (CET), "corman"
wrote:

The 1-pound tape measure became dislodged from the belt of a
worker on the 50th floor and struck construction equipment about
10 to 15 feet from the ground, spokeswoman Carly Baldwin said.

It then ricocheted and struck 58-year-old Gary Anderson, who had
just stopped to speak with another worker who was in a pickup
truck.
If it ricocheted..the hardhat may not have done him a lick of
good.
Coming in from the side..hard hat isnt going to help unless your
head
is canted just right.

That being said...anyone care to calculate the footpounds of
energy
that a 1 POUND item will develop after a 50 story fall? (figure
12'
per story and a rate of fall of 32fps/fps and then deduct
humm...25%
for the impact of the ricochet.

Height = 600 feet/ 182.8 meters
Weight of falling rule = 1lb or .4535kg

speed at impact 196 fps/59 m/s

Fall time 6 seconds

Do the math

He would have been unlikely to survive even wearing the hard hat.
It
would have driven his skull sideways on his neck and snapped it
like
twig remember..it was no longer a straight drop..but one at an
angle
after the ricochet.

Given the quality of the hard hat..it may simply have blown a hole
in
it..or driven the hat into his brain as it deformed. Blunt
trauma
in
this sort of impact load is fatal in any CNS strike.

Anyone care to give us the impact force in psi and n?

Gunner
The potential energy at the top is Mass * g * height. At the bottom
it
has been converted into the same amount of kinetic energy.
https://www.chipola.edu/instruct/sci...workenergy.htm

Since I don't know the exact numbers these are rounded.
0.5KG * 10m/S^2 * 180m = 900 Joules (kg * m^2/s^2)

That equals 1 HP for 1.2 seconds, which could drill a fair sized
hole.
http://wredlich.com/ny/2013/01/proje...topping-power/

I cam up with something like 575 Footpound at an impact speed of
196
FPS in a surface area that is all corners. Might not have Exploded
his head..but it damned sure would have embedded that measure in his
skull if not passing completely through.

Compare that 900 J to crash helmet ratings:
http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot
-jsw

I assume you guys are calculating air resistance? d8-)

I doubt if it achieved anything close to its theoretical speed in a
vaccum.

On a BBC program recently they filmed the dropping of a bowling ball and
feathers in the worlds largest vacuum chamber both with and without air,
pretty impressive. The drop in vacuum here
http://www.wired.com/2014/11/droppin...acuum-chamber/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's really cool! The only thing I wanted to see, though, they
didn't show: The full drop in real time. They showed the first half
and then the last couple feet, but not the whole drop.

Gravity is amazing without the resistance of air, isn't it?
Oh so logical, but totally odd compared to every single one of our
experiences to date. That was a treat.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would, personally, like to know how the investigation turned out.

A tape measure falling from 50th floor, is not a steel ball in a
vacuum. First of all, it is slowed down by air as it falls. Secons, if
it "ricochets" at a significantly small angle, it would shatter or, at
least, slow down substantially from a ricochet.

So, I suspect, it was still falling down nearly vertically when it hit
the worker. As such, a hard hat may have prevented his death.

I do not wear hard hats daily, but I do wear them at least once every
week.

Let us know what the result of the investigation is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-09, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 09:04:55 -0600, Ignoramus16121
wrote:

I would, personally, like to know how the investigation turned out.

A tape measure falling from 50th floor, is not a steel ball in a
vacuum. First of all, it is slowed down by air as it falls. Secons, if
it "ricochets" at a significantly small angle, it would shatter or, at
least, slow down substantially from a ricochet.

So, I suspect, it was still falling down nearly vertically when it hit
the worker. As such, a hard hat may have prevented his death.

I do not wear hard hats daily, but I do wear them at least once every
week.

Let us know what the result of the investigation is.

In OR, hard hats are -required-by-law- at all commercial construction
sites by all who walk onto it. I believe all states have the same law
on their books since most are using IBC books. (International
Building Codes)

And OSHA rules, and common sense, all require hard hats where any work
at any height is involved.

My investigation: Idiot drops tape. Idiot below wasn't wearing
helmet. Dual "accident", no charges. Nexxxxxxxxxxt!

Very succinct.

But you can bet the contractor gets lanyards on all his guys' tapes by
the end of the next day, and cracks down on the guy enforcing helmet
use, if he hasn't already been fired.

He also needs to prepare a big bottle of Vaseline in anticipation of
the OSHA visit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

IIRC, the guy wasn't an amployee. He was a supplier making a delivery,
right?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16121 wrote in
:

I would, personally, like to know how the investigation turned out.

A tape measure falling from 50th floor, is not a steel ball in a
vacuum. First of all, it is slowed down by air as it falls.

Not very much, it won't, probably not as much as you think. Dense, more-or-less-smooth
objects (such as tape measures) aren't affected by air friction nearly as much as low-
density, high-surface-area objects (such as paper or feathers).

Secons, if
it "ricochets" at a significantly small angle, it would shatter or, at
least, slow down substantially from a ricochet.

How much it slows down from the ricochet depends on how much of its energy from the fall
is absorbed in denting either the case or the object it hits. Certainly it will slow down, but,
again, probably not as much as you think.

So, I suspect, it was still falling down nearly vertically when it hit
the worker. As such, a hard hat may have prevented his death.

A hard hat is even more likely to have prevented his death in the case of an extremely high-
angle ricochet.

I do not wear hard hats daily, but I do wear them at least once every
week.

Let us know what the result of the investigation is.

Knucklehead left his hard hat in his truck when he walked onto a construction site where
(presumably) hard hats were required, and falling objects are an obviously foreseeable
hazard.

Unless it can be shown that someone on the high steel saw the lack of helmet and
intentionally pitched the tape toward him to teach him a lesson, the only reasonable
conclusion possible is that his death is sad, but nobody's fault except his own.

tape measu sal[_2_] Woodworking 4 March 22nd 12 03:49 PM
Measure without tape measure. Robatoy Woodworking 60 February 16th 08 07:31 AM
tape measure mohammad Woodworking 3 May 1st 06 07:13 PM
new use for a tape measure DOC Metalworking 8 November 4th 05 10:13 PM
Tape Measure Rip Off Sunworshipper Metalworking 4 January 26th 05 04:36 AM