Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Man killed by falling tape measure at construction site

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:11:49 -0600, Ignoramus16121

On 2014-11-09, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 09:04:55 -0600, Ignoramus16121
wrote:

I would, personally, like to know how the investigation turned out.

A tape measure falling from 50th floor, is not a steel ball in a
vacuum. First of all, it is slowed down by air as it falls. Secons, if
it "ricochets" at a significantly small angle, it would shatter or, at
least, slow down substantially from a ricochet.

So, I suspect, it was still falling down nearly vertically when it hit
the worker. As such, a hard hat may have prevented his death.

I do not wear hard hats daily, but I do wear them at least once every
week.

Let us know what the result of the investigation is.

In OR, hard hats are -required-by-law- at all commercial construction
sites by all who walk onto it. I believe all states have the same law
on their books since most are using IBC books. (International
Building Codes)

And OSHA rules, and common sense, all require hard hats where any work
at any height is involved.

My investigation: Idiot drops tape. Idiot below wasn't wearing
helmet. Dual "accident", no charges. Nexxxxxxxxxxt!

Very succinct.

But you can bet the contractor gets lanyards on all his guys' tapes by
the end of the next day, and cracks down on the guy enforcing helmet
use, if he hasn't already been fired.

He also needs to prepare a big bottle of Vaseline in anticipation of
the OSHA visit.

IIRC, the guy wasn't an amployee. He was a supplier making a delivery,
right?

--
Ed Huntress