Posted to rec.woodworking

Default tape measu

I picked up a cabinet makers tape measure from Lee Valley 1/2"x10' it lays
almost flat on a surface instead of curling up on the edge as the larger
3/4'' and 1'' units. I got the left handed model which reads from L-to R I
found this strange as I am right handed and have always read the tape from
left hand edge of material to right, just curious as to others preferences.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

As a matter of precision or repeatability - measure with one rule while
making a project.

Metals expand at different rates and they all vary. But if one is used,
then it is all relative. Unless it comes a hard freeze or blistering
hot day half way into a project.

Martin

On 3/18/2012 2:34 PM, sal wrote:
I picked up a cabinet makers tape measure from Lee Valley 1/2"x10' it lays
almost flat on a surface instead of curling up on the edge as the larger
3/4'' and 1'' units. I got the left handed model which reads from L-to R I
found this strange as I am right handed and have always read the tape from
left hand edge of material to right, just curious as to others preferences.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2012 2:34 PM, sal wrote:
I picked up a cabinet makers tape measure from Lee Valley 1/2"x10' it lays
almost flat on a surface instead of curling up on the edge as the larger
3/4'' and 1'' units. I got the left handed model which reads from L-to R I
found this strange as I am right handed and have always read the tape from
left hand edge of material to right, just curious as to others preferences.

Sal

OK, what do you find strange about your tape measure?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2012 3:34 PM, sal wrote:
I picked up a cabinet makers tape measure from Lee Valley 1/2"x10' it lays
almost flat on a surface instead of curling up on the edge as the larger
3/4'' and 1'' units.

Yes, I used to have a 10' Stanely that was perfect for cabinet makers.
It was also almost flat, making it much easier to mark. No need for a
giant curl when measuring small stuff like cases and drawers.

If it has only 1/16th measurements and NO dang 1/32 measures in the
first few inches I'll have to buy one and add it to my gaggle of tapes.
I lost or destroyed my old one years ago and never ran across another.

I got the left handed model which reads from L-to R I
found this strange as I am right handed and have always read the tape from
left hand edge of material to right, just curious as to others preferences.

I'd have to look but I believe most or all of my tapes are "left handed"
tapes. I generally measure from left to right and am right handed also,
but I never really noticed when I measure from the right.
It only becomes a problem when one side is in 1/32's or millimeters or
some other evil design.

So, does this tape have 1/32's in the first few inches, like the last
garbage tape I bought on recommendations from this rec.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2012 3:34 PM, sal wrote:
I picked up a cabinet makers tape measure from Lee Valley 1/2"x10' it lays
almost flat on a surface instead of curling up on the edge as the larger
3/4'' and 1'' units. I got the left handed model which reads from L-to R I
found this strange as I am right handed and have always read the tape from
left hand edge of material to right, just curious as to others preferences.

Sal

I prefer this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=65357&cat=

Laser Tape Measure Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 22 November 17th 11 12:50 AM
Measure without tape measure. Robatoy Woodworking 60 February 16th 08 07:31 AM
tape measure mohammad Woodworking 3 May 1st 06 07:13 PM
new use for a tape measure DOC Metalworking 8 November 4th 05 10:13 PM
Tape Measure Rip Off Sunworshipper Metalworking 4 January 26th 05 04:36 AM