Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bought this huge gantry crane from Rock Island Arsenal

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505300

It is an enormous traveling gantry crane, 10 ton capacity.

Just look at this picture

https://d2wkteasag18mt.cloudfront.ne...oDFlIcU_24.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 18:35:15 -0600, Ignoramus4942
wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505300

It is an enormous traveling gantry crane, 10 ton capacity.

Just look at this picture

https://d2wkteasag18mt.cloudfront.ne...oDFlIcU_24.jpg

Ooh, that is one _big_freakin'_ass_ Erector Set, Ig.
It sure was nice of them to disassemble it for you.
I hope you find a buyer. What'll you charge them to reassemble it in
their factory?

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505300

It is an enormous traveling gantry crane, 10 ton capacity.

Just look at this picture

https://d2wkteasag18mt.cloudfront.ne...oDFlIcU_24.jpg

Ooh, that is one _big_freakin'_ass_ Erector Set, Ig.
It sure was nice of them to disassemble it for you.
I hope you find a buyer. What'll you charge them to reassemble it in
their factory?

I cannot reassemble, it is too big.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

IMHO, You'd be damn lucky to find a buyer. WAY to big for any hobby
type or small shop even. This would go in a large manufacturing
operation. Industry will buy exactly what they need exactly when they
need it.

karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

IMHO, You'd be damn lucky to find a buyer. WAY to big for any hobby
type or small shop even. This would go in a large manufacturing
operation. Industry will buy exactly what they need exactly when they
need it.

karl

A small shop doing oil field work perhaps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

IMHO, You'd be damn lucky to find a buyer. WAY to big for any hobby
type or small shop even. This would go in a large manufacturing
operation. Industry will buy exactly what they need exactly when they
need it.

karl

A small shop doing oil field work perhaps

OK, guys, I do not mean to be unrealistic and dreamy eyed.

But I have a question, perhaps I would have a chance to sell the top
beam and the lifting mechanism?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

IMHO, You'd be damn lucky to find a buyer. WAY to big for any hobby
type or small shop even. This would go in a large manufacturing
operation. Industry will buy exactly what they need exactly when they
need it.

karl

A small shop doing oil field work perhaps

OK, guys, I do not mean to be unrealistic and dreamy eyed.

But I have a question, perhaps I would have a chance to sell the top
beam and the lifting mechanism?

The only places I can think of that might be interested in something
like that used would be: oil field repair shops, mining repair shops and
perhaps industrial marinas or a rock quarry. The places that can afford
to buy one new will do just that, so it's the smaller places that deal
with heavy stuff that would be interested in a used one even if they
need to have it inspected for OSHA purposes it's still a lot cheaper
than new.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:06:17 PM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:

The only places I can think of that might be interested in something
like that used would be: oil field repair shops, mining repair shops and
perhaps industrial marinas or a rock quarry. The places that can afford
to buy one new will do just that, so it's the smaller places that deal
with heavy stuff that would be interested in a used one even if they
need to have it inspected for OSHA purposes it's still a lot cheaper
than new.

Some of the places that can afford to buy new , still save money when they can.

If I recall correctly the second bridge crane at the Explosive Handling Wharf was a used crane. It is a bit bigger crane than the one Iggy has. The Trident II weighs 59,000 kg.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505300

It is an enormous traveling gantry crane, 10 ton capacity.

Just look at this picture

https://d2wkteasag18mt.cloudfront.ne...oDFlIcU_24.jpg

Nice! Gonna scrap it or auction it off? That could be used nicely in
power plants, aircraft service, ship repair etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505300

It is an enormous traveling gantry crane, 10 ton capacity.

Just look at this picture

https://d2wkteasag18mt.cloudfront.ne...oDFlIcU_24.jpg

Ooh, that is one _big_freakin'_ass_ Erector Set, Ig.
It sure was nice of them to disassemble it for you.
I hope you find a buyer. What'll you charge them to reassemble it in
their factory?

I cannot reassemble, it is too big.

Not bought that hydrocrane on the truck yet? Tsk tsk tsk

It would be a snap with a hydracrane

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 16:06:15 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

[...]

10 tons is only 20,000 lbs. Its not that beefy.

You could lift the turret off a battle tank maybe. Pick up boats to 40
feet (steel/power boats)

Be nice at a marina..but unsuitable for sail boat lifting.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

http://ricklevin.nextlot.com/public/lot/15505300

It is an enormous traveling gantry crane, 10 ton capacity.

Just look at this picture

https://d2wkteasag18mt.cloudfront.ne...oDFlIcU_24.jpg

Nice! Gonna scrap it or auction it off? That could be used nicely in
power plants, aircraft service, ship repair etc etc

I am going to scrap most of it, but keep the boom and make an
attachment for my 30,000 lbs forklift. It would get me a telescoping
boom that goes up and down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Be nice at a marina..but unsuitable for sail boat lifting.

How about at a scrapyard, to unload trucks?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.