Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Gantry Crane with An Aluminum I-Beam

I am kicking around the idea of building a gantry crane with an
aluminum I-beam.

Last week I found a source of surplus aluminum 6061-T6 beams (10' long
by 8" high by 5" wide).

With the plan of using one for a gantry crane, what would the lifting
capacity be for a 10' beam with adequate safety factors included?

I am hoping to make this a one man assembly effort so I am looking for
ideas for an adjustable height supports.

Here are some approaches...

http://www.wallacecranes.com/ratchet.htm

http://www.spanco.com/pages/gantryaalum.php

Any other suggestions for buiiding an aluminum gantry crane?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

You won't be able to calculate load capacities unless you know the web
and flange thicknesses (or other cross section data if it is acutally an
'I' shape rather than a 'W' or 'M' shape.)

On used aluminum beams I have some concerns about where the beam was
used. If it lived in a hot environment, it might not be in -T6 temper.
6061-T6 has a time/temperature curve that brings the strenth down to
only 15% of original at the very end. Probably not that bad but
something to consider.

What kind of loads are you considering?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am kicking around the idea of building a gantry crane with an
aluminum I-beam.

Last week I found a source of surplus aluminum 6061-T6 beams (10' long
by 8" high by 5" wide).

With the plan of using one for a gantry crane, what would the lifting
capacity be for a 10' beam with adequate safety factors included?

I am hoping to make this a one man assembly effort so I am looking for
ideas for an adjustable height supports.

Here are some approaches...

http://www.wallacecranes.com/ratchet.htm

http://www.spanco.com/pages/gantryaalum.php

Any other suggestions for buiiding an aluminum gantry crane?

Thanks

TMT

I welded aluminum today Gunner Asch Metalworking 40 December 3rd 05 11:04 AM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Level beam but floors still sagging?? Jeff C Home Repair 5 January 23rd 05 02:06 PM
Building an Aluminum Gantry Crane Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 1 August 15th 03 11:24 AM