Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Gantry Crane with An Aluminum I-Beam

I am kicking around the idea of building a gantry crane with an
aluminum I-beam.

Last week I found a source of surplus aluminum 6061-T6 beams (10' long
by 8" high by 5" wide).

With the plan of using one for a gantry crane, what would the lifting
capacity be for a 10' beam with adequate safety factors included?

I am hoping to make this a one man assembly effort so I am looking for
ideas for an adjustable height supports.

Here are some approaches...

http://www.wallacecranes.com/ratchet.htm

http://www.spanco.com/pages/gantryaalum.php

Any other suggestions for buiiding an aluminum gantry crane?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am kicking around the idea of building a gantry crane with an
aluminum I-beam.

Last week I found a source of surplus aluminum 6061-T6 beams (10' long
by 8" high by 5" wide).

With the plan of using one for a gantry crane, what would the lifting
capacity be for a 10' beam with adequate safety factors included?

I am hoping to make this a one man assembly effort so I am looking for
ideas for an adjustable height supports.

Here are some approaches...

http://www.wallacecranes.com/ratchet.htm

http://www.spanco.com/pages/gantryaalum.php

Any other suggestions for buiiding an aluminum gantry crane?

Thanks

TMT

Call up Triformix, Inc. and ask if they want to sell the one they never
use.

I used to work there. Just sits there collecting dust. Ask for Tim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am kicking around the idea of building a gantry crane with an
aluminum I-beam.

Last week I found a source of surplus aluminum 6061-T6 beams (10' long
by 8" high by 5" wide).

With the plan of using one for a gantry crane, what would the lifting
capacity be for a 10' beam with adequate safety factors included?

I am hoping to make this a one man assembly effort so I am looking for
ideas for an adjustable height supports.

Here are some approaches...

http://www.wallacecranes.com/ratchet.htm

http://www.spanco.com/pages/gantryaalum.php

Any other suggestions for buiiding an aluminum gantry crane?

Thanks

TMT

I'm no engineer, but I'm not sure what you want to do is a good idea.
Aluminum fatigues after loading, and unloading. What may be perfectly safe
when it is first built might be dangerous after using it a number of times.
Obviously if your project is considerably over designed, this problem is
reduced.

Gantry Crane with An Aluminum I-Beam Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 1 March 16th 06 03:42 PM
I welded aluminum today Gunner Asch Metalworking 40 December 3rd 05 11:04 AM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Building an Aluminum Gantry Crane Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 1 August 15th 03 11:24 AM