Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3D Scan

I've played with photographic imagining, and touch probing, but the fact its
time consuming and the results are mixed. I do a little low end mold
making, and from time to time I'll have a customer that would like me to cut
a mold based on a hand carved or sculpted model. I've emailed several
companies on-line who advertise 3D scanning service. Most seem to be more
geared towards building size or larger projects, and none have responded.

I'm looking for somebody who is setup to provide decent surface meshes from
a model. Most models are going to be less than 12 inches in their largest
dimension, and many will not necessarily need to be scanned from all sides.
Price is an issue, but regardless of the price I'll just pass it on to the
customer. They will either say yes or no and that will be the end of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:00:24 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've played with photographic imagining, and touch probing, but the fact its

time consuming and the results are mixed. I do a little low end mold

making, and from time to time I'll have a customer that would like me to cut

a mold based on a hand carved or sculpted model. I've emailed several

companies on-line who advertise 3D scanning service. Most seem to be more

geared towards building size or larger projects, and none have responded.

I'm looking for somebody who is setup to provide decent surface meshes from

a model. Most models are going to be less than 12 inches in their largest

dimension, and many will not necessarily need to be scanned from all sides.

Price is an issue, but regardless of the price I'll just pass it on to the

customer. They will either say yes or no and that will be the end of it.

Price is an issue but price is not an issue. That's DumbBlonde speak for price is going to be an issue. Time to get off your ass and do it yourself with the right software and a digitizing arm. It's going to take much more of an effort that you have shown you are capable of.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I've played with photographic imagining, and touch probing, but the fact its
time consuming and the results are mixed. I do a little low end mold
making, and from time to time I'll have a customer that would like me to cut
a mold based on a hand carved or sculpted model. I've emailed several
companies on-line who advertise 3D scanning service. Most seem to be more
geared towards building size or larger projects, and none have responded.

I'm looking for somebody who is setup to provide decent surface meshes from
a model. Most models are going to be less than 12 inches in their largest
dimension, and many will not necessarily need to be scanned from all sides.
Price is an issue, but regardless of the price I'll just pass it on to the
customer. They will either say yes or no and that will be the end of it.

I know a bunch of folks on the ShopBot forum claim to do this (laser
scanners, etc. in that size range) but I haven't used any of them (I
have the olde-fashioned one and they made the upgrades so expensive I
gave up on keeping up, since I bought the darn thing as "affordable"
among other things.) talkshopbot.com should get you there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

[...]

I looked at the David's Laser Scanner software. I even spent some time
playing with the basic software and setup a laser and camera. I found it to
be along the "look what I can do" lines rather than a real working solution
to real time scanning. I have not talked to anybody who has bought his full
software and coherent light setup to see how much better it is. Its not out
of my price range, but I don't want to buy it just to find out. I'll have
to check out the ShopBot fourm guys and see what they have done, but I've
played with several hobby level methods and not been totally thrilled by
results or time spent. I was just hoping to find a company I could hand
this task off to.

Thanks for the tip. If I can find an in house solution that works and
doesn't tie up a machine for too long like a touch probe routine does I am
not opposed to doing it myself. Worse comes to worse I guess I could just
dedicate the little Chinese noodle router to touch probing jobs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow. Jon boy really has no redeeming qualities does he. If he wasn't a
vitriol spewing fountain of excrement he wouldn't produce anything at all.
Maybe he should consider a job in a fertilizer plant where what comes out of
his mouth would have some use.

Sorry, Bob. Don't have a good answer for you. We have a small mill with
good accel/decel we use for touch probing, but it still takes a long time to
do the type of parts I think you are doing. Makes most of this type job to
expensive for our customers. The only way it pays them back is if they have
us make hundreds of parts from the results. For the most part if we can't
get what we need with more conventional measuring instruments its not worth
it. Have you tried the Autocad on-line photographic service?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 10:10:38 AM UTC-7, Billy Wains wrote:
Wow. Jon boy really has no redeeming qualities does he. If he wasn't a

vitriol spewing fountain of excrement he wouldn't produce anything at all..

Maybe he should consider a job in a fertilizer plant where what comes out of

his mouth would have some use.

Sorry, Bob. Don't have a good answer for you. We have a small mill with

good accel/decel we use for touch probing, but it still takes a long time to

do the type of parts I think you are doing. Makes most of this type job to

expensive for our customers. The only way it pays them back is if they have

us make hundreds of parts from the results. For the most part if we can't

get what we need with more conventional measuring instruments its not worth

it. Have you tried the Autocad on-line photographic service?

Of course you don't have a good answer because you're a CADCAM moron with no clues. What an asshole like you wants to do is shoot your mouth off and kiss DumbBlonde's ass without providing any specifics/real answers.

You can't talk intelligently about polygons, NURBS and what kind of skills and software are needed to do this kind of small job correctly. You also can't discuss the kind of common problems one runs into.

In the mean time, I and many others discuss reverse engineering in my LinkedIn group with those who make industry leading software everyday. Not only do we discuss it but we often share video links on how the process is done and the kind of problems you often encounter.

There is a reason my LinkedIn group reads like a who's who of the CADCAM business. There is a reason why there is no other group like it on the Internet.
There is a reason why DumbBlonde is S.O.L. on this job... he's a moron like you are.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 1:46:48 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

So are you saying that you can provide decent surface meshes from
a model. Most models less than 12 inches in their largest
dimension?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 11:30:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Epic fail.

If you or others are interested in reverse engineering software I have a LinkedIn group that covers that topic. I no longer waste time talking about CADCAM specifics in this group for obvious reasons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Billy Wains" wrote in message
news
Wow. Jon boy really has no redeeming qualities does he. If he wasn't a
vitriol spewing fountain of excrement he wouldn't produce anything at all.
Maybe he should consider a job in a fertilizer plant where what comes out
of his mouth would have some use.

I plonked him a long time ago. He can spew anything he likes.

Sorry, Bob. Don't have a good answer for you. We have a small mill with
good accel/decel we use for touch probing, but it still takes a long time
to do the type of parts I think you are doing. Makes most of this type
job to expensive for our customers. The only way it pays them back is if
they have us make hundreds of parts from the results. For the most part
if we can't get what we need with more conventional measuring instruments
its not worth it. Have you tried the Autocad on-line photographic
service?

I did a couple tests using simple objects, and it never produced a mesh for
me. I have some ideas about why, but I've been so busy lately that I have
not gotten back to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ROFL

If you or others are interested in reverse engineering software I have a
BangedRears group that covers that topic. I no longer waste time talking
about BADSCAM specifics in this group for obvious reasons.

Yeah its obvious alright. You are a loser who burned any chance at any
respect for any aspect about yourself here a long time ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 12:10:46 PM UTC-7, Billy Wains continued to make a fool out of himself:

Yeah its obvious alright. You are a loser who burned any chance at any

respect for any aspect about yourself here a long time ago.

Watching you and DumbBlonde struggle on this subject is exactly what I would expect from losers who won't pay the price to learn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 12:04:19 PM UTC-7, DumbBlonde wrote:

I plonked him a long time ago. He can spew anything he likes.

Couldn't be happier that you did. Reading you struggle because of your limited capacity to learn is a gift that keeps on giving.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Billy Wains" wrote in message
ROFL

If you or others are interested in reverse engineering software I have a
BangedRears group that covers that topic. I no longer waste time talking
about BADSCAM specifics in this group for obvious reasons.

Yeah its obvious alright. You are a loser who burned any chance at any
respect for any aspect about yourself here a long time ago.

"JonBangsQueersForSandwiches"
Couldn't be happier that you did. Reading you struggle because of your
limited capacity to learn is a gift that keeps on giving.

Oh, geez! Are you really that stupid! (Note: the lack of a question mark
was deliberate.) Every time you come back here and try to belittle your
betters you demonstrate your inability to learn. You are hysterical boy.
You can't be possibley be this funny on purpose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've played with photographic imagining, and touch probing, but the fact
its time consuming and the results are mixed. I do a little low end mold
making, and from time to time I'll have a customer that would like me to
cut a mold based on a hand carved or sculpted model. I've emailed several
companies on-line who advertise 3D scanning service. Most seem to be more
geared towards building size or larger projects, and none have responded.

I'm looking for somebody who is setup to provide decent surface meshes
from a model. Most models are going to be less than 12 inches in their
largest dimension, and many will not necessarily need to be scanned from
all sides. Price is an issue, but regardless of the price I'll just pass
it on to the customer. They will either say yes or no and that will be
the end of it.

Sigh. I have whatever you guys are replying to blocked.

I just wanted to know if anybody could suggest a company to do the type of
work I asked about who was willing to give some kind of estimated price
structure on jobs so I could determine which way I wanted to go to take care
of these customers, or if it was even practical. Or even provide a simple
process to get an estimate on a case by case basis.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 1:31:55 PM UTC-7, Billy Wains drooled all over his keyboard:

Worthless bull**** sniped.

Nothing to respond to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 1:35:30 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

Sigh. I have whatever you guys are replying to blocked.

Good. Keep struggling. That's exactly what I expect from a Mark Wieber clique of idiot member.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

wrote in message

And that is not even the reason why nobody has any respect for you. Sure
you are a bile filled hater, but most of us could deal with that if you
actually had something to say. All you have left inside you is hate, ****,
and bile. Fortunately for the rest of us only you have to live with you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 2:15:10 PM UTC-7, Billy Wains wrote nothing of substance or value:

Bull**** for a world class loser snipped

Nothing to respond to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Billy Wains" wrote in message
news
Wow. Jon boy really has no redeeming qualities does he. If he wasn't a
vitriol spewing fountain of excrement he wouldn't produce anything at all.
Maybe he should consider a job in a fertilizer plant where what comes out
of his mouth would have some use.

Sorry, Bob. Don't have a good answer for you. We have a small mill with
good accel/decel we use for touch probing, but it still takes a long time
to do the type of parts I think you are doing. Makes most of this type
job to expensive for our customers. The only way it pays them back is if
they have us make hundreds of parts from the results. For the most part
if we can't get what we need with more conventional measuring instruments
its not worth it. Have you tried the Autocad on-line photographic
service?

FYI: Autodesk 123D Catch Appears to be offline. According to their forums
even premium users are not able to create new projects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 3:05:25 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

That's what happens when you're an idiot and you fall hook, line and sinker for Autodesk cloud computing bull****.

The dangers of cloud computing on a public server as well as permanent rental of CADCAM software have been discussed very frequently on my LinkedIn group.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
That's what happens when you're an idiot and you fall hook, line and
sinker for Autodesk cloud computing bull****. The dangers of cloud
computing on a public server as well as permanent rental of CADCAM
software have been discussed very frequently on my LinkedIn group.

Still projecting your inadequacies on others I see. Nobody fell victim to
anything, except I suppose I wasted a few minutes today reading your total
and utter bull****. I believe you said more than once or twice that kill
files are for pussies. Seems appropriate since so many people put you in
theirs. So, I suppose you can keep right on pimping your little kinkedin
list because you are to big of a pussy to speak up here among real working
metal workers and show us how little you really ever knew. Instead your own
growing and overwhelming feeling of inadequacy will keep you posting nothing
and spiraling further into your own empty soul. One you have long since
passed any chance of recovery. You couldn't post a relevant bit of
information if somebody rammed their hand up your ass, used you like a
waldo, and typed it for you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 3:55:14 PM UTC-7, Billy Wains continued to show he's a brain dead moron with no clues:

Bull**** snipped

Nothing worth responding to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message

Accurate description of myself snipped
Not intelligent enough to come up with a response to the truth so
stealing response from somebody more clever than myself.

I may have to make that my sign line. "You couldn't post a relevant bit of
information if somebody rammed their hand up your ass, used you like a
waldo, and typed it for you."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 4:48:32 PM UTC-7, Billy Wains wrote nothing of value:

Worthless drivel snipped

Nothing to respond to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What sort of precision or accuracy do you need?

Is buying a 3D scanner an option for you? 3DS and Makerbot have such
machines for $800 or less but resolution seems to be pretty coarse,
0.02" or worse.

If you just want a service, you might try www.3DHubs.com - that's a
company that brokers 3D print service for small, home business-type 3D
printer owners. You should be able to find someone local to you and
see if they can provide 3D scan services.

Or just search:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...anning+service

Mike

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 13:35:30 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:30:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Notice Jon Boi had no suggestions who to send it to either?

(snicker!!!)

Simply killfile the poor mental case and do the rest of us a favor so
we dont have to read his posts second hand.

He has been in my Bozo bin for years

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
What sort of precision or accuracy do you need?

Is buying a 3D scanner an option for you? 3DS and Makerbot have such
machines for $800 or less but resolution seems to be pretty coarse,
0.02" or worse.

I have looked at the Makerbot. Seems to have much better loyalty than the
cheaper Cubify, and reviewers claim better results. Buying my own upto a
modestly higher price than that is certainly an option. The MakerBot as you
noted does has a resolution of only about .02" which is in the better "look
what I can do" category, but I feel its still in that class. Its also
limited to 8" x 8" apx scan area. Based on how my video edge finder focuses
I suspect it might also have some focus issues with larger objects that
approach the camera too closely as the turn table rotates. I still might
buy one just to play with, as the results I have seen do appear to be better
than my own laser/camera scans attempt. Still it would just be a toy to
play with I think.

If you just want a service, you might try www.3DHubs.com - that's a
company that brokers 3D print service for small, home business-type 3D
printer owners. You should be able to find someone local to you and
see if they can provide 3D scan services.

I will check out that resource. Thank you.

Or just search:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...anning+service

I did use Google many times, and I emailed or used the contact forms for
more than a dozen companies. Most seemed to be focused on building size
scans or larger. None returned my contact.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:14:31 AM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:

Notice Jon Boi had no suggestions who to send it to either?

Glad, **** for brains Wieber noticed this. I hope others notice as well. :)

CT scan The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 44 December 13th 13 12:17 PM
shop tech - cat scan - 07 cat scan.jpg (1/1) mac davis Woodworking Plans and Photos 25 November 18th 07 08:30 PM
shop tech - cat scan - 07 cat scan.jpg (0/1) mac davis Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 November 18th 07 04:33 PM
It Don't Scan-- Ron Electronics Repair 8 January 5th 06 03:19 AM
RCA PRO SCAN BIG SCREEN Video Doctor Electronics Repair 0 July 29th 04 08:42 PM